Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read the whole thread so this may be redundant - but I don't care about a player's personal failings or issues. The law will deal with them if there are legal transgressions.

So why should there be double jeopardy for footy jocks? De G's paid the penalty under law.

Is Collingwood/the AFL some kind of quasi-extra-judicial Star Chamber?

It's not like he is guilty of a crime of probity, such as theft/fraud etc.

Darren Millane wasn't some panty-waisted PC role model either , but he busted his chops for the 'Pies. Did he get fined by Collingwood? No.

The precious posturing of the glass-jawed wowsers gets tedious. It's football - not choir practice.
He’s being punished for lying to the club.

I know the club have probably told JDG not to speak to the media, but I reckon if he had've stopped on his way to his car today and said how much he regrets his actions, and how he's looking forward to making amends. Probably would've went a long way.
I get your point about speaking to the media and given there was no video statement this time around keeping a lower profile seems the intent, but heading to his car might not be the best idea.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/penalties/drink-driving-penalties
On the spot suspension
Authorities have the power to immediately suspend your driver licence or learner permit in certain situations, e.g. learner or probationary drivers with a BAC of .07 or more, or repeat offenders. The length of suspension depends on the circumstances.

He got done at 8:30pm Sat night after being on the piss all day.

It's not the people in the car, it's harming people in other cars or hitting pedestrians on the street that is the issue.

I conceded that point 1 was wrong in an earlier post. And which people in other cars or pedestrians did JDG harm again?

If buts and maybes don’t cut it.

I could j walk and there is a risk I don’t see a car and my actions cause an accident. I can also j walk and cause no accident.

He didn’t have anyone in the car with him, so he didn’t put passengers at risk. He didn’t hit any cars or pedestrians so he didn’t harm anyone else. These two factors are considered when a court sentences a person for DUI offences. And he ain’t even facing court over this.

Jumping to the “well he was lucky he didn’t kill some one or himself” line is overkill. Fact is he took a risk and was caught by cops without physically harming himself or anyone else.

But it begs the question, doesn't it - the club's ambit/remit. If it's not their business then the response is moot.

Sure, I don't admire liars. But footy-wise, I look for premierships, not moral virgins.
He’s treated the preseason like a joke and is not at the required physical standard. Given his past indiscretions and failure to meet the profession standards he promised to adhere to, its hardly surprising he has earnt this penalty. IMV, it is deserved. I hope now he can finally correct his behaviour.

I conceded that point 1 was wrong in an earlier post. And which people in other cars or pedestrians did JDG harm again?

If buts and maybes don’t cut it.

I could j walk and there is a risk I don’t see a car and my actions cause an accident. I can also j walk and cause no accident.

He didn’t have anyone in the car with him, so he didn’t put passengers at risk. He didn’t hit any cars or pedestrians so he didn’t harm anyone else. These two factors are considered when a court sentences a person for DUI offences. And he ain’t even facing court over this.

Jumping to the “well he was lucky he didn’t kill some one or himself” line is overkill. Fact is he took a risk and was caught by cops without physically harming himself or anyone else.
JDG has been on the party bus for months, and has treated the club with contempt. It is truly laughable that anyone would defend his behaviour. Our only hope now is that he has finally learnt.

I love this kid, gave the footy paparazzi the flick tonight with a gob full of ice - cream, fantastic! It reminded me a little of Mundine and Chupa Chups.

I must say the past week has not damped the excitement I feel about this kid. He is a ripper and he plays for CFC in black and white. Will play first round. Prefer De Goey over Lynch any day of the week.

JDG has been on the party bus for months, and has treated the club with contempt. It is truly laughable that anyone would defend his behaviour. Our only hope now is that he has finally learnt.

Why don't we just fine the bloke, ask him to make a public apology and absolutely flog him on the training track instead of taking him off it?

Punishments like this only hurt the club and the team. They are also bad PR (despite being designed for the opposite) because they draw out the focus.

Ultimately, he will come back into the team in worse condition than he is now and a (for example) four week ban turns into four more weeks of underperformance and increased injury risk.

I think our punishment is more about discouraging the next generation than punishing JDG himself.

At least Stephenson and co won't go drink driving in a hurry!

He’s treated the preseason like a joke and is not at the required physical standard. Given his past indiscretions and failure to meet the profession standards he promised to adhere to, its hardly surprising he has earnt this penalty. IMV, it is deserved. I hope now he can finally correct his behaviour.

Punishment doesn't necessarily equate to rehabilitation. Could negatively impact him in so many ways.

I don't blame him if he does crack the shits at some point during his suspension and all the other s**t that goes with it. It's difficult to determine what punishment would have suited de Goey without the advice of a shrink.

Dear Goey will come good if we just understand the kid more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Punishment doesn't necessarily equate to rehabilitation. Could negatively impact him in so many ways.

I don't blame him if he does crack the shits at some point during his suspension and all the other s**t that goes with it. It's difficult to determine what punishment would have suited de Goey without the advice of a shrink.

Dear Goey will come good if we just understand the kid more.
He has been given plenty of support since the incident last preseason. He’s thrown it back in the club’s face. Do you really think this latest incident is a one off?

The kid has been playing up for months. Let’s hope he’s finally got the message.

When I lived in Oz one of my footy heroes was Essendon's Paul Vander Haar - he would eat your pansy comments up, roll a smoke, cripple a few players, and kick a few goals.

And remain on the ground all day unless he went off for a VB - none of this rotation BS.

Bah.

I think our punishment is more about discouraging the next generation than punishing JDG himself.

I think Stephenson and Murphy are more the Scharenberg type than the say the Feeeman type (as in not the brightest type.)

Sorry unplugged but you are 100% wrong about the bolded part.

Just because he was heading to his car doesn't mean he was driving it! It looked on the news like someone else may have been driving his white Jeep.

He drives a white Jeep?

I take it back, burn him on a pyre. Its the only way to make sure.

He has been given plenty of support since the incident last preseason. He’s thrown it back in the club’s face. Do you really think this latest incident is a one off?

The kid has been playing up for months. Let’s hope he’s finally got the message.
Jmac I thought you were going for the onwards to positive?

I think De Goey has been kicked to the kerb enough myself.
Don’t know why he needs to be beaten to a pulp.
(Not aimed at you; but it’s like the mob just need to bash and bash him.)

If I saw him in the street, I’d still offer him a lift.

When I lived in Oz one of my footy heroes was Essendon's Paul Vander Haar - he would eat your pansy comments up, roll a smoke, cripple a few players, and kick a few goals.

And remain on the ground all day unless he went off for a VB - none of this rotation BS.

Bah.
Those days are long gone. Vander Haar was in the Millaine mould. By all accounts Paul hasn’t changed.

Jmac I thought you were going for the onwards to positive?

I think De Goey has been kicked to the kerb enough myself.
Don’t know why he needs to beaten to a pulp.

If I saw him in the street, I’d still offer him a lift.
I want to be positive but people still want to gripe about the punishment.

I want to be positive but people still want to gripe about the punishment.
Fair enough.

Whilst he’s ours, I really hope he learns and we get great football out of him (and he matures as a person).
He’s ours I back him in.
Plus it’s the way to support people not bash them into submission.

Fair enough.

Whilst he’s ours, I really hope he learns and we get great football out of him (and he matures as a person).
He’s ours I back him in.
Plus it’s the way to support people not bash them into submission.
The reality is that some are using this to bash the footy club.

Seriously re.. if they were more lenient towards him.. I'd love to have seen his reaction to it.. punishing the kid or not punishing him are both 50/50 propositions as far as I'm concerned all things being equal.. the best way too approach it is too really get into his mindset.. who's to say that training for a mth with the vfl side will benefit him without knowing who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back