Recommitted Jordan de Goey [re-signed]

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
LOl So De Goey is going to leave the 2nd biggest club in the land to go to a club that is in for a rebuild and has no talent for $150k a year before tax
FMD why does this type of rumour take up bandwidth

Noth would have to give De Goey $9,000,000 over 7 years for this to be a chance
"no talent"

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
De Goey will stay. He is a Collingwood player through and through. They also don’t lose too many players they want to keep. Magpies are many things, but culturally they are very good on.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is the problem with all the media focusing on Collingwood like they’re the only club in the competition managing their salary cap. All the extra attention gets other clubs out of the woodworks trying to poach our stars at higher money.
Yeah cos Collingwood always lose so many of their players to the salary cap squeeze

Of course, the Pies themselves never ever sign anyone from other clubs whilst keeping all their stars on a good wicket :rolleyes:

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
Will be interesting to see who they force out on top of Aish to accomodate pendles, Grundy, Moore, Cox, degoey

I expect us to go hard at JDG again and maybe this time he takes the cash?
You'd think pendles wouldn't be top dog much longer.

Two years he'll almost certainly be retired.

and Sidebottom they are 2 that be probably getting little less and 1-2 Year Deals.

I could Pendles playing for for 3-4 Seasons as Quick Healer and only seen a Tiny bit of Slow Down.

Plus not a Crash and Bash Type

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

His next contract starts in 2021 when he’s 33. If he’s on more than a 1 year deal at $300-400k Collingwood don’t deserve to keep the others together. He owns the gym next to the club (rort) so he’s been well looked after and his tenure beyond 2020 won’t be about money.

Will be interesting to see who they force out on top of Aish to accomodate pendles, Grundy, Moore, Cox, degoey

I mean you’ve answered your own question haven’t you by including Cox? Now we’ve brought in Cameron and Lynch has been promoted to the senior list, both no names capable of matching his 19 output, he needs to step up in 2020 to even earn a new contract.

His next contract starts in 2021 when he’s 33. If he’s on more than a 1 year deal at $300-400k Collingwood don’t deserve to keep the others together. He owns the gym next to the club (rort) so he’s been well looked after and his tenure beyond 2020 won’t be about money.

I mean you’ve answered your own question haven’t you by including Cox? Now we’ve brought in Cameron and Lynch has been promoted to the senior list, both no names capable of matching his 19 output, he needs to step up in 2020 to even earn a new contract.
Fair enough Cox will probably be the one to make way

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Go hard or go home , Enough dilly dallying around with pity $1 mil a year deals, North need to get serious
$9 mil over 7 years. Surely they should be able to pay half that in the first year with what they have saved over the years

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Fair enough Cox will probably be the one to make way

That’s certainly my hope!

Playing the game though if Cox actually does something earning a new contract on good terms I don’t have concerns towards North anyway. It’s more Sydney, GC and Brisbane that would worry me as showtime clubs (from a lifestyle perspective) with money to spend. The reason being that it’s become rare for high profile Victorian based players to be traded to another Victorian club.

My memory isn’t what it used to be, but I can only name Lovett, McEvoy and Woewoedin shifting for 1st round picks*. None of those three come close to the trade price of what JDG will attract. Not saying it won’t happen either rather that it would have to buck an established trend.

*We also have Thomas, Frawley and Goddard moving as FA’s and getting first round compensation, but I think the ease of FA made those possible.

slowedawg

Premium Gold
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Won't be going anywhere. They'll sign him and keep it quiet for a while - and then as soon as there's a lull in their season (if there is), it'll be announced. He rebuked offers before, he's repaid the faith Buckley has shown him, he'll stick around. Seems to have bought into the club culture pretty well and despite his uh, slight issues outside the club, for him it'll be better the devil you know.

You think the Pies can re-sign De Goey, Moore & Grundy?
Yes. There’s a reason we offloaded Aish and were quiet during the trade period. We’re building cash to pay those guys. Worst case scenario is we offload another fringe player or two next year to free up room.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
De Goey to the Dees?

To clarify how exactly do Melbourne find room in their salary cap for him? Their list is quality despite the s**t 2019, they’ve added Thomlinson and Langdon this off-season and have Petracca to re-sign. Congrats to them if they can get it done, but I can’t see them finding $1m pa to attract a player of his quality. Then we need to consider they don’t have a 2020 1st rounder.

Brisbane acquiring that Port 1st rounder (which will be early) scares me because they now have the cap space, trade capital and lifestyle...

JammoMonty

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
To clarify how exactly do Melbourne find room in their salary cap for him? Their list is quality despite the s**t 2019, they’ve added Thomlinson and Langdon this off-season and have Petracca to re-sign. Congrats to them if they can get it done, but I can’t see them finding $1m pa to attract a player of his quality. Then we need to consider they don’t have a 2020 1st rounder.

Brisbane acquiring that Port 1st rounder (which will be early) scares me because they now have the cap space, trade capital and lifestyle...

Agree. However, clubs in the past have found ways to acquire players on his salary. It’s just a rumour going around and I wanted to see if any others had heard it.

Back