Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indecent assault involves a physical act without consent. Unless he was memory lapsed wasted, he (and his co-accused) know exactly what physically went on that night with the woman who has raised the complaint.

Whether there was confusion around consent... that is another thing... but if a person is charged with indecent assault, they jog their memory over what happened pretty quickly. You might forget the name of the bar you went to, but other things immediately stand out

Whether he’s guilty or not is to be decided. All I’ve said is the likelihood that this is a false complaint is minimal, so there is a real risk he will face a penalty... be it jail or further AFL suspension...

But in this neck of the woods there seems to be a bit of denial at the prospect of that
Without knowing the details of the allegation, it’s probably not worth commenting on the veracity of the charge.

Indecent assault involves a physical act without consent. Unless he was memory lapsed wasted, he (and his co-accused) know exactly what physically went on that night with the woman who has raised the complaint.

Whether there was confusion around consent... that is another thing... but if a person is charged with indecent assault, they jog their memory over what happened pretty quickly. You might forget the name of the bar you went to, but other things immediately stand out

Whether he’s guilty or not is to be decided. All I’ve said is the likelihood that this is a false complaint is minimal, so there is a real risk he will face a penalty... be it jail or further AFL suspension...

But in this neck of the woods there seems to be a bit of denial at the prospect of that

Roughly 60% of indecent assault convictions do not result in any jail time, and seeing as De Goey's is, by what we can assume, on the low end of the charge.... Plus the fact it happened 4 years ago, puts the prospect of him actually serving time in jail at around 0%.

That's not even taking into account the fact the women didn't press charges at the time (didn't she accept his apology?), the fact is was 4 years ago (both will be used against her in court) and the fact De Goey will have brilliant Lawyers.

This in all likelihood will end in a financial settlement with no conviction recorded, as both De Goey and Collingwood will be desperate for this not to drag on over the year, and the Women will likely be happy to receive tens of thousands of dollars in compensation and not have to spend months going to court.

Roughly 60% of indecent assault convictions do not result in any jail time, and seeing as De Goey's is, by what we can assume, on the low end of the charge.... Plus the fact it happened 4 years ago, puts the prospect of him actually serving time in jail at around 0%.

That's not even taking into account the fact the women didn't press charges at the time (didn't she accept his apology?), the fact is was 4 years ago (both will be used against her in court) and the fact De Goey will have brilliant Lawyers.

This in all likelihood will end in a financial settlement with no conviction recorded, as both De Goey and Collingwood will be desperate for this not to drag on over the year, and the Women will likely be happy to receive tens of thousands of dollars in compensation and not have to spend months going to court.

I think even if given a suspended sentence... any conviction will see the sections of the media and political class place great pressure on the AFL HQ to further suspend him. Saying this is another example of how the AFL has a women problem, etc, etc.

Time will tell

The alleged incident was almost 6 years ago now. May 2015. The club would not give him a new contract if jail time was a realistic possibility. The only issue will be if he ends up with a conviction the pressure will be on the club to “cancel” him.

I think even if given a suspended sentence... any conviction will see the sections of the media and political class place great pressure on the AFL HQ to further suspend him. Saying this is another example of how the AFL has a women problem, etc, etc.

Time will tell

A suspended sentence is counted in the 40% of "jail time" judgements. So of the 40% of cases that end in custodial sentences, the vast majority of those again are mostly suspended sentences... But again, the chance of being someone found guilty of a he said / she said case from a long time ago is extremely slim, I doubt that video evidence exists or we would of heard about it.

It's in both parties best interests to end this quickly and with a financial settlement regardless.

This thread is not very helpful at all. I reckon most posters have no idea of the facts - or even what one party is alleging and what JDG's response is.

Many of the posts here are either conjecture or wild guesses about how the legal system works / what legal steps have already occurred and what might happen next.
That's why I don't even bother commenting on the incident. We have no information yet people don't seem to have much of a problem speculating on what might have occurred or vehemently demanding he be stood down or sacked by the club. I think it wise and respectful to both parties to say nothing at all until the case is over.

The alleged incident was almost 6 years ago now. May 2015. The club would not give him a new contract if jail time was a realistic possibility. The only issue will be if he ends up with a conviction the pressure will be on the club to “cancel” him.

That’ll come from the media. The club will wrap there arms around him and say it happened 6 years ago we’ve all moved on blah blah, but if the supporters don’t buy it then things could get interesting because I think the tides changed at our club and member influence.

Lets wait and see.

A magic player from another club had a more serious charge but managed to play out his afl career. Yes, he was found not guilty BUT allegedly that was what you might call a disappointing outcome.

so whatever the case here, convictions are not that easy.

That’ll come from the media. The club will wrap there arms around him and say it happened 6 years ago we’ve all moved on blah blah, but if the supporters don’t buy it then things could get interesting because I think the tides changed at our club and member influence.

Soz for late reply, but I found your comment interesting.

There is an element of that, after the 'straw that has broken the camels back' for want of a better term. However, just going on this thread alone there are obviously disagreeing views on this topic - so I don't think it's the 'whole fan base' - like nearly the whole fan base is less than happy with the club for other obvious reasons and the why the club is in 'movement'.

I'd argue the 'opinions' on the 'punishment deserved' IF Jordy IS found guilty seems to vary widely, and that's not even knowing exactly what the crime is / was even if it was a crime.

Soz for late reply, but I found your comment interesting.

There is an element of that, after the 'straw that has broken the camels back' for want of a better term. However, just going on this thread alone there are obviously disagreeing views on this topic - so I don't think it's the 'whole fan base' - like nearly the whole fan base is less than happy with the club for other obvious reasons and the why the club is in 'movement'.

I'd argue the 'opinions' on the 'punishment deserved' IF Jordy IS found guilty seems to vary widely, and that's not even knowing exactly what the crime is / was even if it was a crime.

IMO, you’re spot on in general. The only consensus on here is that there is none, but I tend to take a different look at what the lack of detail could mean. For instance Elijah Taylor type behaviour would change the mood very quickly. I’m not in any way suggesting that IF something has happened that it was that serious more that IF it were moods would shift very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO, you’re spot on in general. The only consensus on here is that there is none, but I tend to take a different look at what the lack of detail could mean. For instance Elijah Taylor type behaviour would change the mood very quickly. I’m not in any way suggesting that IF something has happened that it was that serious more that IF it were moods would shift very quickly.

Agreed, but I don't think it would be all and sundry out with the pitchforks, going by this thread alone it might be 50 / 50.

So he knows because you asdume he is guilty.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is no doubt that DeGoey's letter would have been written by his legal team for him. They would have been very careful not to admit to anything if that could have been used against him.

If he is found guilty of a serious offence, then he deserves whatever comes his way.

If the AFL Integrity Unit found no basis for proceeding with a case against him, and the police didn't pursue the matter, then to me it suggests a low level indiscretion. Sexual assault can mean just about anything these days can it not?
As to the bolded getting too close in certain situations can be seen as sexual assault.

As a 60 plus white Australian male I have to keep an eagle eye out for kids if I am in a park because simply being close to a child in a park makes me instantly a person of suspicion simply because of my sex. I would never dream of taking a camera to a park now the risk of accusations is too high.

To a public personality such as a football star the risk is enormous as they are a ripe target with the income to bleed for the greedy and unscrupulous.

As a nation we have become almost as litigious as the U.S. - for the famous the mere threat of litigation and public trial by media is often enough to force them to the settlement table even if totally innocent.

And the lawyers know this of course, the real cause of this avalanche of litigation is lawyer greed.

Our legal system is based upon 'he who accuses must first prove' is no longer applicable when the media set themselves up as judge, jury and executioner.

So the lawyers simply run a campaign of media accusation and speculation to force compliance from even the most innocent.

That being said if he has done the wrong thing he needs to pay the piper.

If Goo has had a light bulb moment and combines his talents with hard work and dedication then that’s a very very exciting prospect for us and the club.

I feel like we will be still having these statements in 5 years time. I feel like it will never gel consistently for him

I feel like we will be still having these statements in 5 years time. I feel like it will never gel consistently for him
All reports are he’s worked/working hard this off-season. This is the year where we find out if he can put it all together imo, because he’s in the best shape of his life right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back