Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kirby

This man is confused
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
His lack of second effort could be evidence of a lack of hunger.

I'm not a big fan of players getting singled out like that by the media. The game was his first proper hit-out after getting concussed 2 weeks ago. I hope he has no lingering effects.

I'd like to see him come out and torch the joint over the next few weeks. For himself, his teammates, and his coach; they are getting roasted ATM, our senior players need to stand up as a group.
I was very concerned with him coming into the team last week after White described him in the injury report as having suffered "severe concussion" and that he still had to pass the concussion tests to play. Some medical experts are calling for 28 day enforced layoffs for severe concussions (up from the current 12 days for all concussions).

He's always been a player that needs games under the belt to fire too, yet he's always having enforced layoffs with injury.

His efforts were poor on Saturday, but I think he can turn it around.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I completely disagree. He is an incredible talent who could get fairly close to Dusty levels. The difference is that Dusty is 100% committed to being the best player he can be. JDG just doesn't have that commitment or determination. He needs to wake up to himself and realise how short his window of success is. He is very likely to be a completely unfulfilled talent with nothing to show for his talent.

Funny Callum Brown comes up in this thread. If y0u could put his commitment, preparation and effort into JDG you might see the next Dusty. If you put Callums ability together with JDGs commitment you'd see him selling The Big Issue in 5 years.
every time people compare De Goey to Martin a fairy dies, they’re not even in the same hemisphere, stop it. Imagine saints fans saying if Zak Jones was more consistent he could be close to Pendlebury or Swan.

Vicky Park

Premium Platinum
Sep 11, 2012
Umm...
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was very concerned with him coming into the team last week after White described him in the injury report as having suffered "severe concussion" and that he still had to pass the concussion tests to play. Some medical experts are calling for 28 day enforced layoffs for severe concussions (up from the current 12 days for all concussions).

He's always been a player that needs games under the belt to fire too, yet he's always having enforced layoffs with injury.

I hope you are right Kirby. But it seems to me we are always looking for ways to explain away JDG’s poor form or off field ‘incidents’. I do it too! But I’ve just about had enough of this guy. I think his mind is elsewhere.

jathanas

Aug 17, 2011
Warrandyte
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man U

Jordy has had a bad run the last few years, we don't have a matchwinner like him. He could only dream of the continuity that Dusty has had.

Playing forward in our team he won't be gifted too many opportunities to shine. Needs some spells on the ball when he is 100%.

jathanas

Aug 17, 2011
Warrandyte
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man U
every time people compare De Goey to Martin a fairy dies, they’re not even in the same hemisphere, stop it. Imagine saints fans saying if Zak Jones was more consistent he could be close to Pendlebury or Swan.
You're right and wrong.

JDG is miles off in terms of getting that consistency, he doesn't have the runs on the board and might never get them.

The flipside is that just like Martin, he can win a game off his own boot. Very strong trunk hard to tackle. Arguably, a better lead.

Kirby

This man is confused
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Most rational posters are comparing the potential of JDG to that of Martin, certainly not the performance.

I don't think he has quite the same potential as I don't think he could ever match Martin's agility and endurance. However, as a forward goal kicker I think he has very similar potential (say if Dusty played as a sole forward) and the reason I say this is because we have seen Jordy's ability to absolutely smash a game to pieces and win games off his own boot. He actually has a good record in big games and finals too (when he can get on the park).

The problem with Jordy is that he just can't do it consistently for whatever reason - be that fitness, application, desire or.......?

If he could ever get that consistency he would be a gun forward and worth the pay packet.

p.s. I think he lacks the running endurance to be anything other than a pinch hit midfielder (it's win it in a contest or nothing for him).

jackcass

Premium Gold
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Learn his craft? , spare me, been at the club 5 years, still can`t kick over 30 metres , Spud, would not have been drafted if he didn`t have that surname
LOL. Plenty of better footballers than Cal Brown have been drafted and not made it. No guarantee he will either but I do find offensive the constant labelling of footballers as "spuds". If he's a spud, what does that make you?

The Royal Sampler

Floreat Pica, b*tch!
Nov 26, 2006
Hooray For Science, Woo!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
Most rational posters are comparing the potential of JDG to that of Martin, certainly not the performance.
Sure, but every minute that he fails to realise his hypothetical potential, it becomes less likely that what we hypothesised was his potential was actually his potential.

I had a ton of potential as a zygote, but then I developed into a spud.

sideswipe

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sure, but every minute that he fails to realise his hypothetical potential, it becomes less likely that what we hypothesised was his potential was actually his potential.

I had a ton of potential as a zygote, but then I developed into a spud.
Like Gunnery Sgt Hartman might say, "I think you were cheated."

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is the real captain in waiting.
I love it how he goes whack with just one word
Collingwood leaders actually stepping outside the line and putting the acid on one of its underperforming, entitled, overpaid stars? GARBAGE, would never happen, just ask Brodie Grundy.

LuckyLee

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The best we can hope is that DeGoey turns into a Jake Stringer type. Hoping for a Dustin Martin transformation is pure fantasy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matrix10

All Australian
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL. Plenty of better footballers than Cal Brown have been drafted and not made it. No guarantee he will either but I do find offensive the constant labelling of footballers as "spuds". If he's a spud, what does that make you?
Damn sight better footballer than Brown, i played amateurs and could kick 50, my application and dedication to making higher standard were lacking, girls and good life were higher motivation for me

jackcass

Premium Gold
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Damn sight better footballer than Brown, i played amateurs and could kick 50, my application and dedication to making higher standard were lacking, girls and good life were higher motivation for me
LOL. Damn sight better footballer than Brown and you'd have made a senior list somewhere. Were you ever even look at by a senior club?

augie

All Australian
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you're agreeing with me then haha. He isn't committed and isn't the player to build a team around?
Yeah, I should probably read posts more carefully! He would be a great player to build a team around if he was committed. I suspect he will come out this week with a 35 possession, 5 goal game so that we are all reminded of the talent he has. Maybe that will encourage North to give up Pick 1 for him.

gouki88

Premiership Player
Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
Hahahahahhaha

I am as big a doubter of Cal Brown as there is, but come off it

Andrew Yoa

Debutant
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I should probably read posts more carefully! He would be a great player to build a team around if he was committed. I suspect he will come out this week with a 35 possession, 5 goal game so that we are all reminded of the talent he has. Maybe that will encourage North to give up Pick 1 for him.
His stocks are going down year by year.

Remove this Banner Ad