Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
every time people compare De Goey to Martin a fairy dies, they’re not even in the same hemisphere, stop it. Imagine saints fans saying if Zak Jones was more consistent he could be close to Pendlebury or Swan.
Most rational posters are comparing the potential of JDG to that of Martin, certainly not the performance.

I don't think he has quite the same potential as I don't think he could ever match Martin's agility and endurance. However, as a forward goal kicker I think he has very similar potential (say if Dusty played as a sole forward) and the reason I say this is because we have seen Jordy's ability to absolutely smash a game to pieces and win games off his own boot. He actually has a good record in big games and finals too (when he can get on the park).

The problem with Jordy is that he just can't do it consistently for whatever reason - be that fitness, application, desire or.......?

If he could ever get that consistency he would be a gun forward and worth the pay packet.

p.s. I think he lacks the running endurance to be anything other than a pinch hit midfielder (it's win it in a contest or nothing for him).

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Learn his craft? , spare me, been at the club 5 years, still can`t kick over 30 metres , Spud, would not have been drafted if he didn`t have that surname

LOL. Plenty of better footballers than Cal Brown have been drafted and not made it. No guarantee he will either but I do find offensive the constant labelling of footballers as "spuds". If he's a spud, what does that make you?

This is the real captain in waiting.
I love it how he goes whack with just one word
If he had posted “Poppycock”, I would have acquiesced to giving him the captaincy now and not making him wait another day.

Most rational posters are comparing the potential of JDG to that of Martin, certainly not the performance.
Sure, but every minute that he fails to realise his hypothetical potential, it becomes less likely that what we hypothesised was his potential was actually his potential.

I had a ton of potential as a zygote, but then I developed into a spud.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sure, but every minute that he fails to realise his hypothetical potential, it becomes less likely that what we hypothesised was his potential was actually his potential.

I had a ton of potential as a zygote, but then I developed into a spud.
Like Gunnery Sgt Hartman might say, "I think you were cheated."

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is the real captain in waiting.
I love it how he goes whack with just one word

Collingwood leaders actually stepping outside the line and putting the acid on one of its underperforming, entitled, overpaid stars? GARBAGE, would never happen, just ask Brodie Grundy.

Like Gunnery Sgt Hartman might say, "I think you were cheated."

One of the classic war movies along with Hamburger Hill and Platoon.

I wonder what the effectiveness of letting Sgt Hartman loose on some of our "more entitled" new-age players would be?

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
every time people compare De Goey to Martin a fairy dies, they’re not even in the same hemisphere, stop it. Imagine saints fans saying if Zak Jones was more consistent he could be close to Pendlebury or Swan.

The best we can hope is that DeGoey turns into a Jake Stringer type. Hoping for a Dustin Martin transformation is pure fantasy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL. Plenty of better footballers than Cal Brown have been drafted and not made it. No guarantee he will either but I do find offensive the constant labelling of footballers as "spuds". If he's a spud, what does that make you?

Damn sight better footballer than Brown, i played amateurs and could kick 50, my application and dedication to making higher standard were lacking, girls and good life were higher motivation for me

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Damn sight better footballer than Brown, i played amateurs and could kick 50, my application and dedication to making higher standard were lacking, girls and good life were higher motivation for me

LOL. Damn sight better footballer than Brown and you'd have made a senior list somewhere. Were you ever even look at by a senior club?

augie

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you're agreeing with me then haha. He isn't committed and isn't the player to build a team around?
Yeah, I should probably read posts more carefully! He would be a great player to build a team around if he was committed. I suspect he will come out this week with a 35 possession, 5 goal game so that we are all reminded of the talent he has. Maybe that will encourage North to give up Pick 1 for him.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Hahahahahhaha

I am as big a doubter of Cal Brown as there is, but come off it

Andrew Yoa

Senior List
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I should probably read posts more carefully! He would be a great player to build a team around if he was committed. I suspect he will come out this week with a 35 possession, 5 goal game so that we are all reminded of the talent he has. Maybe that will encourage North to give up Pick 1 for him.
His stocks are going down year by year.

The best we can hope is that DeGoey turns into a Jake Stringer type. Hoping for a Dustin Martin transformation is pure fantasy.

I’m hoping he becomes more like a Robbie Gray type.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m hoping he becomes more like a Robbie Gray type.

That would be a great outcome! I hope you’re right. But Gray strikes me as a whole lot smarter that our Jordie and consequently more likely to get the most out of himself more often. Anyway, here’s hoping!

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
That would be a great outcome! I hope you’re right. But Gray strikes me as a whole lot smarter that our Jordie and consequently more likely to get the most out of himself more often. Anyway, here’s hoping!

Gray was average until he did his ACL. That forced a level of professionalism onto him

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Im sure the CFC board wont want to die wondering if a different coach could get the best of someone like DeGoey.

These players that might be dormant volcanoes just needing a different coaching environment and message along with different advice must give some leaning towards going for a different coach at the end of the year.

Martin could be a different player if not for people in the coaching ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back