Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snoop Dog:

12 Richmond – Jordan De Goey
I think they will take Ellis but if Collingwood or someone else has left De Goey in the pool I would probably take him. More HF than the inside mid they crave but is building to that. Got a bit of the Joel Selwoods about him.

Knightmare:

14. Jordan De Goey
(VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 15/03/1996
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Draft range: 5-20
Best position/role: Rotational forward/midfielder.
Strengths:
Marking ability – De Goey has vicelike hands overhead and consistently takes it strongly at the highest point and is one of the strongest marking medium size types in this draft. He is a very strong mark on the lead as someone who will frequently take leadup marks in the front half. He is excellent in the air. He can take marks 1v1 and has the strength to outbody opponents and superior ability to read and protect the drop of the ball for easy marks.
Ability to read the flight – De Goey reads the flight superbly. He reads the flight to get into best position to take the mark in the front half. He protects the drop of the ball for easy marks. He can also at times use his ability to read the flight to at times take intercept marks and marks off kickouts.
Footskills – De Goey by foot is a very damaging kick as a capable playmaker and finisher. He kicks it out in front of targets and hits his targets by foot consistently inside the forward 50. Has a good 55m kick. He can finish from anywhere within 55m and concert from his set shot opportunities. He has excellent vision and is very unselfish, constantly looking for options in better position inside 50 for easier shots at goal. He also consistently makes good decisions with the footy, taking his time with his touches and showing real class with each touch. Given this he is someone you want the ball in the hands of as often as possible.
Inside game and contested ball winner – De Goey reads the ruck taps well often taking first possession from the hitout. He has this year developed a strong contested side to his game and his contested ball numbers through the U18 Championships far outweighed his uncontested ball numbers. He also does some good work in close and is generally very good with his work by hand to the outside runners.
Workrate – De Goey’s workrate in game is a real highlight for me. He has shown at times up the field that he will kick it short to a target and continue to stream forward and get on the end of the next kick. He also gives the second and third efforts and will go from one contest, into the next, into the next with a real intent, demonstrating that he will not give up on the play. While only an average athlete he also at times will provide some run and carry with ball in hand. He also seems to work both ways well. He also is a good leaper and as a result is a marking threat in the air.
Scoreboard impact – As a rotational forward/midfielder his scoreboard impact has been strong through the TAC Cup with 14 goals from 9 games, while also being unselfish and setting up better goalscoring opportunities for others.
Weaknesses:
Production – At this stage De Goey’s numbers are not as high through the TAC Cup as they should for a rotational midfielder/forward and he will need to improve his numbers to become AFL relevant.
Ability to find easy outside ball – The primary reason De Goey’s numbers are low at this stage is the lack of outside ball he finds and it has been an issue not only through the U18 Championships but also through the TAC Cup. He works his butt off in game, so it is not a lack of effort but he rarely finds the easy outside ball and will need to more often learn to find and work into those open spaces for his numbers to improve.
What I expect will improve:
I anticipate De Goey will continue to improve at what he does but I also anticipate his production and ability to find the easy outside ball improve. He has a good in game work rate so it will just take some coaching with regards to some running patterns for him to get that inside/outside balance right.
Who he can become?
I see De Goey developing into something similar to Colin Sylvia as a damaging forward who can push into the midfield.
When will he be ready to play?
De Goey will likely take a season or two to adjust and improve his game but come season three I anticipate that De Goey becomes a part of a regular team.
How to best utilise him?
De Goey is best utilised in the front half, rotating into the midfield.
Interpretation of his numbers:
His disposal efficiency both through the U18 Championships and TAC Cup have been strong. His disposal per game numbers were strong through the U18 Championships due to higher midfield minutes than he normally plays but then by TAC Cup standards his numbers were below average by position. De Goey’s contested ball numbers in both competitions have been strong with his uncontested ball numbers below average. He has demonstrated strong scoreboard impact kicking 14 goals from 9 games in the TAC Cup, and if he was not so unselfish that figure would likely be higher. His most impressive statistic in the TAC Cup has been his marks per game numbers where by position he had excellent mark numbers also taking a number of contested marks

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rumor going around he has done his Hammy
It is Xmas

9BB69C87-A84E-4757-A3E4-AC7A6230BDBE.gif

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
What a surprise. Our fitness regime has not been overhauled. Sending players to Germany and saying they got a lot out of it is pathetic.
Soft tissue injuries continue to plague the club.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
What a surprise. Our fitness regime has not been overhauled. Sending players to Germany and saying they got a lot out of it is pathetic.
Soft tissue injuries continue to plague the club.
Is this a result of our training surface?
Surely the club have/are investigating this.
I’m sure there a posters, with much more time on their hands than me, who will investigate our soft tissue injuries v other clubs soft tissue injuries.
Am expecting a graph, or two.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is this a result of our training surface?
Surely the club have/are investigating this.
I’m sure there a posters, with much more time on their hands than me, who will investigate our soft tissue injuries v other clubs soft tissue injuries.
Am expecting a graph, or two.
Gottya! I'm on the case now. Actually, I wouldn't know where to start and soft tissue injuries, particularly those of other clubs, are not really my forte. As for graphs ..... :huh::drunk:

Bull. Absolute BULL.
There was a bit of anti DeGoey posting, well more like DeGoey laughter posting.
Shut it down! Shut it down!
Because it doesn’t respect the “positive” BF rule.
Hope you have resigned from LSD Anzac.
Seriously??
Mate scroll through a few pages and find me a thread with 10k+ posts that's still open.
While you're at it, pick whatever content you're so fond of from the old JDG thread and start it up in here.

PS: Your baseless accusations and constant bickering are becoming tiresome.
Maybe it's time for you to resign from here if it's too positive for you?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Seriously??
Mate scroll through a few pages and find me a thread with 10k+ posts that's still open.
While you're at it, pick whatever content you're so fond of from the old JDG thread and start it up in here.

PS: Your baseless accusations and constant bickering are becoming tiresome.
Maybe it's time for you to resign from here if it's too positive for you?

It’s getting a bit much even for me! Unlike 15-17 when some negativity was warranted there’s a lot to be positive about currently...

On topic, no one actually believes he’s done a hammy do they? Rumours surface he’s done himself some mischief with the law and then a week later he’s injured right before our Christmas break. Nothing sus at all there :drunk:

On topic, no one actually believes he’s done a hammy do they? Rumours surface he’s done himself some mischief with the law and then a week later he’s injured right before our Christmas break. Nothing sus at all there
Ironically I nearly posted along the same lines.

It’s getting a bit much even for me! Unlike 15-17 when some negativity was warranted there’s a lot to be positive about currently...

On topic, no one actually believes he’s done a hammy do they? Rumours surface he’s done himself some mischief with the law and then a week later he’s injured right before our Christmas break. Nothing sus at all there :drunk:
I get what you're saying, but why wouldn't he train?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is the part I don’t get.

If there is any truth to some shenanigans, wouldn’t the media absolutely lap it up?
How they would love a Collingwood story; mix it with their bad boy angle...

And if there’s a Xmas break why say anything at all if it’s an in-house punishment matter or whatever?

Does not make logical progression.

That and if Tony Two Turds has any credibility....

Very odd the whole thing. Maybe he really does have hamstring awareness :eek:

Last edited:

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Edited my earlier post as to circumstances. Wishing player well.

The media will report all stories.

De G nothing, come on, the media would froth at an incident. Collingwood sells.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

So that people buy the injury line.

My best guess is there was an incident, it was super minor and the club have decided to take all heat out of it by allowing him to start his break early. At the same time you circulate a hamstring injury on the eve of our final training session. If he misses any sessions and we haven’t circulated the hamstring story what do you think the headlines become?

If I were a betting man he’ll be back in full training within a week of us re-starting in January, if not the first day back, and conveniently he effectively misses no training. Worst case scenario I’m wrong and he’s actually injured, but due to timing he misses a small portion of pre-season.

So that people buy the injury line.

My best guess is there was an incident, it was super minor and the club have decided to take all heat out of it by allowing him to start his break early. At the same time you circulate a hamstring injury on the eve of our final training session. If he misses any sessions and we haven’t circulated the hamstring story what do you think the headlines become?

If I were a betting man he’ll be back in full training within a week of us re-starting in January, if not the first day back, and conveniently he effectively misses no training. Worst case scenario I’m wrong and he’s actually injured, but due to timing he misses a small portion of pre-season.
I get what you are saying but why would he have to miss any training sessions because of a minor incident? Suspended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back