Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to tell from that video, but I would suggest he needs to keep his head over the ball longer. He appears to be throwing his weight backwards, perhaps in an effort to get extra distance, but it is likely to raise the height of his ball drop and bring his follow through to the right. Travis Cloke did this quite a bit.

I can’t remember but has he been missing most of them to the right or just this one?

He should keep his head down over the ball until the point of contact, that would be my advice. Let his kicking leg coming through be the impetus for his upper body rising back up as he follows through.

Hard to tell from that video, but I would suggest he needs to keep his head over the ball longer. He appears to be throwing his weight backwards, perhaps in an effort to get extra distance, but it is likely to raise the height of his ball drop and bring his follow through to the right. Travis Cloke did this quite a bit.

I can’t remember but has he been missing most of them to the right or just this one?

He should keep his head down over the ball until the point of contact, that would be my advice. Let his kicking leg coming through be the impetus for his upper body rising back up as he follows through.
He’s pretty much missed all of them to the right.

Was right up close to his second shot that sprayed out on the full. His ball-drop when having a set shot is simply appalling, and he doesn't kick through it either.

If you get a chance, watch him kick the ball instinctively, vs a set shot on a replay.

Difference is unreal.

Was right up close to his second shot that sprayed out on the full. His ball-drop when having a set shot is simply appalling, and he doesn't kick through it either.

If you get a chance, watch him kick the ball instinctively, vs a set shot on a replay.

Difference is unreal.

Sounds like he taking Lessons from Travis Cloke

Need more of this;

86b88d5db7ed9bbecf8f249acaffbbb9.jpg

And less of this;

3fd97ac20b95a003d8d1534d7a9ba5bb.jpg

Saw him getting some treatment to his lower left leg on the bench. It doesn’t seem to inconvenience him but I wonder if there is a little voice in his head when taking set shots... telling him to protect his left by not putting too much weight on it..

He needs to kick his set shots higher. Lots of youngsters (especially the ones playing mid) are really good at spotting that low kick over 40m so they go with that technique with their goalkicking too. Getting him to aim to get his set shots (anything inside 50) in the top third of the gap between the posts would ensure more follow through and less stab. Its a small coaching point but it works really well.

He’s a pretty good long field kick, and a great snap.

It’s all in the head so with his care free attitude I think he’ll re adjust eventually.

There’s an argument though for him to figure out a custom set shot routine like Buddy did (and others too).

He’s a pretty good long field kick, and a great snap.

It’s all in the head so with his care free attitude I think he’ll re adjust eventually.

There’s an argument though for him to figure out a custom set shot routine like Buddy did (and others too).

I would argue he needs to get rid of his routine and just play on instinct, mark the ball, jog back, instantly play on and run in and kick... Its the long set routines where he has lots of time to overthink where things go wrong. I'd love to see more players get creative and do something different like Stevie J instead of just conforming to the norm.

When it comes to kicking the best of them is on the coaching panel.

Mr Buckley.

Even for distance shots, Anthony Rocca can assist.

When it comes to kicking the best of them is on the coaching panel.

Mr Buckley.

Even for distance shots, Anthony Rocca can assist.

Anthony could be a useful advisor on many things except maybe nutrition and/or building an endurance base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d almost be advocating to Jordan,

Don’t think, do.

Just kick for goal quickly don’t let distractions get in the way.

Its somewhat of a bizarre opinion, I agree.

Biggest issue for Jordan is his set-shot goal kicking. Had a quiet evening Saturday night because our midfield got absolutely slaughtered.
Pretty much the whole third quarter the ball didn't come into our forward line and he was anchored back there. I was worried that he was going to freeze to death.

Eade goes whack.

Jordan needs to work on his forward leading. No good trying to out body and out run your opponent all the time. Needs to start presenting well if he is going to be a permanent forward.

Eade obviously doesn't watch us much. De Goey is excellent at leading to the right spot at the right time.

Eade goes whack.

Jordan needs to work on his forward leading. No good trying to out body and out run your opponent all the time. Needs to start presenting well if he is going to be a permanent forward.
Hey Rocket,

Name me 1 player who averages 25 touches a game whilst playing almost exclusively in the goal square/deep forward.

I'll wait.

Bye Rocket, *head.

Eade goes whack.

Hmmm, disagree with Rocket. Yes he could improve his set shot conversion but currently only behind Walters (30-28) of the small-medium forwards in the race for the Coleman and he's played 2 less games, and he's currently 5th in the goals per game average behind Cameron, Hawkins, Franklin, and Brown.

Jack Darling is probably the best comparison going (others like Dangerfield getting way more midfield time) and JDG isn't lagging in too many areas, and he's about 4 years younger and still to hit his peak.

Rocket is an idiot, Jordy just needs to correct his kicking for goal. If it wasn't for the god awful service he is currently getting, he would be leading the coleman. Some of the passages on Saturday where he had his opponent done on the lead and wasn't delivered the ball correctly (Grundy and WHE come to mind) were atrocious.

I would argue he needs to get rid of his routine and just play on instinct, mark the ball, jog back, instantly play on and run in and kick... Its the long set routines where he has lots of time to overthink where things go wrong. I'd love to see more players get creative and do something different like Stevie J instead of just conforming to the norm.
Very Good Point! I am shocked more players do not do this. So many players are really good kicks for goal on the run yet struggle with a set shot. Perfect example is Jack Crisp. Why don't they find where the mark is, push back and run/sprint in for 5 metres and kick for goal over the mark instead of doing the norm and trying to kick a set shot. Baffles me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back