Not open for further replies.

Ugene41

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
The only way we can get value out of him is if he leaves for free agency next year and someone pays him enough for a first round comp. If were expected to finish bottom 4 that's a top 5 pick.

I also think he's a victim of our shiteful game plan that gives our forwards no chance. He did get 6 clearances in the middle but he's definitely a forward. Just doesn't rack up the disposals needed as a full time midfielder.

I saw the replay of the game this afternoon.To me he looked very sluggish and lethargic.Perhaps I’m drawing a long bow here,but maybe he was still suffering the after effects from the concussion he had two weeks ago?This was clearly the worst game he’s played all year,so it might be some explanation for his performance.
Like Elliott last year, he seems to lose explosiveness when he plays too much midfield.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The problem is if we were to trade him we would be forced to pay some of his wages. Just like Treloar and the Doggies.
Our football department needs a good kick up the ass. De Goey and Grundy have both been Average once signing big contracts. I'd be offering 2-year contracts and no more. It seems signing players on long term deals ruins their form.
Agree, which is why I’ve said previously let him go at FA. Someone will overpay and we will get compo.
One thing Wright needs to do is adopt hawks salary approach. I’m sure he will. And no contracts longer than 3 years

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mate Callum Brown is easily in the worst 5 players in the comp and has the least effect of any player in the comp. He can't stick a tackle, can't kick, loses every one on one and just always gets tackled or slows play down.
Well if callum brown is in the top 5 worst players in the comp, Jordan De Goey is in the top 10. And btw, everyone on this sub underrates Callum. No star but tries hard.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Well if callum brown is in the top 5 worst players in the comp, Jordan De Goey is in the top 10. And btw, everyone on this sub underrates Callum. No star but tries hard.
He can try as hard as he likes, he's still terrible

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Precisely why we sit bottom 2. We need elite players. C brown tries hard, but he’s not an afl level player, he has far to many weaknesses

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Precisely why we sit bottom 2. We need elite players. C brown tries hard, but he’s not an afl level player, he has far to many weaknesses

He can try as hard as he likes, he's still terrible
Champion Data have him ranked as our 9th best player. He is far less s**t than people give him credit for. He makes very little mistakes (although doesn't take many risks) and is a high pressure player. Obviously we want more but we don't have more. I am fine for actually leaving players info the time being that try as opposed to guys like De Goey who look disinterested and don't care.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Champion Data have him ranked as our 9th best player. He is far less sh*t than people give him credit for. He makes very little mistakes (although doesn't take many risks) and is a high pressure player. Obviously we want more but we don't have more. I am fine for actually leaving players info the time being that try as opposed to guys like De Goey who look disinterested and don't care.
Ah well, if Champion Data say it is so then it must be!

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ah well, if Champion Data say it is so then it must be!
They're far from perfect, like they overrate certain stats such as hit outs to advantage and miss out on actual 1 on 1 value at times but iff hampion Data rate him in our top 10 and everyone here thinks he is in the bottom 10 players in the comp, most likely he is somewhere in the middle.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Champion Data have him ranked as our 9th best player. He is far less sh*t than people give him credit for. He makes very little mistakes (although doesn't take many risks) and is a high pressure player. Obviously we want more but we don't have more. I am fine for actually leaving players info the time being that try as opposed to guys like De Goey who look disinterested and don't care.
You are missing my point. If we want to become a flag threat, he cannot and is not a best 22 player. He’s one along with many we need to replace. Mccreery who was our last pick is already offering more than brown after 3 games. Says enough

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

didn’t champion data also rank Cox as elite or some s**t?

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
You are missing my point. If we want to become a flag threat, he cannot and is not a best 22 player. He’s one along with many we need to replace. Mccreery who was our last pick is already offering more than brown after 3 games. Says enough
We currently arent a flag threat though and he is a best 22 player and he is only 22-23 so we should keep giving him games IMO. Other forwards are currently worse than him who have been given games like Trey Ruscoe and again, I'd argue De Goey so for the time being, I would rather him than someone else.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
didn’t champion data also rank Cox as elite or some sh*t?
Yeah, the issue with Champion Data is they value doing nothing too highly which I'l admit benefits Callum Brown. Like for an example, Mason Cox is veryvaluable for his 5 touches so Champion Data perceive his impact to be high whereas the real problem is he is only touching it 5 times a game. Callum Brown suffers from something similar as he often does a lot more right than wrong with his 10 touches a game, and champion data see that as valuable but when in reality, he needs to be getting 15 touches on a consistent basis to truly provide value.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, the issue with Champion Data is they value doing nothing too highly which I'l admit benefits Callum Brown. Like for an example, Mason Cox is veryvaluable for his 5 touches so Champion Data perceive his impact to be high whereas the real problem is he is only touching it 5 times a game. Callum Brown suffers from something similar as he often does a lot more right than wrong with his 10 touches a game, and champion data see that as valuable but when in reality, he needs to be getting 15 touches on a consistent basis to truly provide value.
And kicking goals.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely no way we will trade DeGoey would be a massive mistake. You can’t expect him to dominate overnight in the middle. It will take time
He doesn't care. He would be more likely to dominate at another club and not with us.

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely no way we will trade DeGoey would be a massive mistake. You can’t expect him to dominate overnight in the middle. It will take time

He's not in the untouchable bracket in my mind - but that would be the case for most of our list presently. In any case, his current salary demands versus his output would turn off any suitors. Not sure we could demand much for him - probably we could wish for a late first round with some picks going back the other way.

Just way too inconsistent.

Brown's a good player until he gets the ball in his hands, but when he does, he's the worst in the league.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Brown's a good player until he gets the ball in his hands, but when he does, he's the worst in the league.
That is far from the truth. He has a very low clanger count. He doesn't take the game on but he doesn't make many mistakes.

That is far from the truth. He has a very low clanger count. He doesn't take the game on but he doesn't make many mistakes.
When you've got the ball in the clear and run 5 metres before hand balling a little bit behind a flat footed teammate, it doesn't count as a clanger, but it is.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
When you've got the ball in the clear and run 5 metres before hand balling a little bit behind a flat footed teammate, it doesn't count as a clanger, but it is.
A lot of our players are notorious for this though. Admittedly, a fair few are now out of the side but I've seen guys like Noble & Sier do the same thing on multiple occasions. Truth be told, Callum could benefit from a stint in the VFL but this week isn't the week to do it IMO.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes - let’s get rid of one of the few match winners we have, instead of trying to turnaround his form.

Some times I just scratch my head.
This 'Match winner' turns up once every 10 games. He will be 30ish when we are next contending for a flag and is one of the few players who has genuine currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back