Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought you Dutchies are wonderful people. So calm, rational, well mannered, cultured, speak better English than the English. But mainly because you invented gin.

Funny thing is I am very passionate about honesty too. But mainly in the public/political sphere where it really matters to peoples lives. Like when they lie to us about why we are going to invade a country in which tens of thousands die (and the media go along with the lie). When it comes to a dumb 21 year old football player lying to save his arse because he got in a punch up... it doesn't really arouse anywhere near the same level of passion for me. That's my perspective.
I am way too cynical to believe any large organizations are capable of painting a complete factually correct picture. And I am more upset that we need a lie to rid the world of some nut case . But that is for another thread.
As far as the 21 yr old goes. Gubby got banned for trying to do the best for his players. Examples aplenty where clubs tell fibs to the public to protect the player. So we can assume that the club does their best for the players , even to our own embarassment but we don't hang them out to dry. You can say a lot about Bucks but he never turned on any of them, not even Cloke .
Now JdG story changes to self defense. A perfect excuse I would think. Enough idiots out there that want to become famous for 15 min by taking on an AFL player. Or whatever the reason was...
So why JDG thinks he has to lie to save his skin. Was there perhaps a curfew? Was there a request from the club and group to stay low and not repeat last years drama's? 3 matches for going out and hit back? It still stinks and doesn't bode well for JDG.

time to move on, the young man lied and got punishment for it,
it is up to him now. if he is good enough and l think he is.
he will repay the club in a big way

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
"self defence" yet De Goey is completely uninjured apart from the injury on his hand from belting someone.

Lol
Yeah exactly. If De Goey hadn't drunk a drop of alcohol, was attacked, and injured himself in self defence there is no way he would have lied about it.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm bloody disappointed in JDG, he screwed up big time and has caused the club embarassment and let down his team mates and the supporter base.

That said he's still a kid, my 21st was no black tie and ball gown event and involved a fairly decent amount of rocket fuel imbibed by around 30 of us. Fortunately it didn't degenerate into physical conflict but when that many kids hit the rocket juice hard sh@t can happen easily.

He's been penalized and now finds himself on the outer for at least a month.

We know he's a quality player, now he needs to prove to the club and his team mates that he's a quality person.

It can only go two ways now from here.

If he sulks or continues to disappoint for the rest of the year all will know his famous speech on being recruited was just rhetoric.

If he takes an honest look at himself and seeks to repay the club for the harm he has done then we may have something still.

Crossroads JDG I doubt you will get another chance.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Now that the actual story is dead I'd be really keen to discuss the internal fallout.

I read a few posters that speculated that Ed and co would tear him a new one, but I'd be pretty shitty if that were the way it went down. The club went with it publicly in their infinite wisdom so for me they lost the right to unleash.

IMO, the best outcome would have been Buckley and Walsh (under no circumstances is Pert involved) as the FD heads call him into the office and simply say "you aren't the first in this position and you won't be the last. Now what are we going to do to right the wrong from a work ethic, training and rehab perspective? We'll give you all the support you need". As he leaves maybe throw in that his suspension is simply a result of the lie and make sure he understands before he leaves.

The fire and brimstone approach that some discussed is just an average way to go about it and is simply a release of emotion. Sure if that was the final straw so be it and deal with it at years end, but he doesn't need such a stark reminder of how badly he ****ed up!

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that the actual story is dead I'd be really keen to discuss the internal fallout.

I read a few posters that speculated that Ed and co would tear him a new one, but I'd be pretty shitty if that were the way it went down. The club went with it publicly in their infinite wisdom so for me they lost the right to unleash.

IMO, the best outcome would have been Buckley and Walsh (under no circumstances is Pert involved) as the FD heads call him into the office and simply say "you aren't the first in this position and you won't be the last. Now what are we going to do to right the wrong from a work ethic, training and rehab perspective? We'll give you all the support you need". As he leaves maybe throw in that his suspension is simply a result of the lie and make sure he understands before he leaves.

The fire and brimstone approach that some discussed is just an average way to go about it and is simply a release of emotion. Sure if that was the final straw so be it and deal with it at years end, but he doesn't need such a stark reminder of how badly he ****** up!

Hey Scodog my five year old daughter last week at dinner said to me......."Dad.......your not a bucket filler are you?""

Both her brothers laughed........and agreed with her. I asked what that meant.

Everyday we start with an empty bucket and if we are "nice" to people during the day our bucket should be filled by the end of it.
Basically I said that is what is wrong with society today...........I scoffed at the notion........my wife was quite disgusted to be honest.

My daughter that night read me the book from her Primary School titled "Are you a bucket filler?"

Now my long winded point is that going by Axl the great & PieBeast posts it seems to "me" the penny hasn't dropped with De Goey yet.
The lies and fight prove that. This might have been the final straw for the Club with the softly......softly approach........only so many times can you fill "someone's bucket"

In my days you had to earn respect............if Eddie losing it at De Goey will change his tune I am all for it.

But then again my kids don't think I am a "bucket filler" :'(

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would atleast tolerate trading out if we got something good back, but when you trade out ad get nothing in return like we did for both Cloke and Williams we just throwing away everything we invested into them.
M123 this is an oft forgotten point, we invest in them and then basically give them away for little.
I'm in the camp, let's get something at least.
My view was Gubby just did the deals too quickly.
Though with Williams my understanding was he was not particularly wanted and Club was happy for him to be assured of a North spot than just axing him.
But I'd still want something a bit more.

Now my biggest bug bear is Witts, surely we could have got a bit more as he's a ruck! But though I've moved on that one bugged me a bit.

doodles98

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey Scodog my five year old daughter last week at dinner said to me......."Dad.......your not a bucket filler are you?""

Everyday we start with an empty bucket and if we are "nice" to people during the day our bucket should be filled by the end of it.
Basically I said that is what is wrong with society today...........I scoffed at the notion........my wife was quite disgusted to be honest.

My daughter that night read me the book from her Primary School titled "Are you a bucket filler?"

Now my long winded point is that going by Axl the great & PieBeast posts it seems to "me" the penny hasn't dropped with De Goey yet.
The lies and fight prove that. This might have been the final straw for the Club with the softly......softly approach........only so many times can you fill "someone's bucket"

In my days you had to earn respect............if Eddie losing it at De Goey will change his tune I am all for it.

OK this guru gibberish analogy proves it. Mods, CFC's account is being hacked by Mick Malthouse.

edit: So many questions with this now: is it better to be a bucket or a bucket filler? If you are a bucket then aren't you a taker from those who are kind enough to donate into your bucket? Does being a bucket imply loose morals and low self esteem. Can you fit a mop in it?

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or just stay at home and get pissed. Works for me.
This is key!
Just stay at home if you want to be silly.
That way the dog is your only obstacle ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
time to move on, the young man lied and got punishment for it,
it is up to him now. if he is good enough and l think he is.
he will repay the club in a big way
This.

OK this guru gibberish analogy proves it. Mods, CFC's account is being hacked by Mick Malthouse.
Yet to be determined - need to know what it's being filled with first.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yet to be determined - need to know what it's being filled with first.

edit: So many questions with this now: is it better to be a bucket or a bucket filler? If you are a bucket then aren't you a taker from those who are kind enough to donate into your bucket? Does being a bucket imply loose morals and low self esteem. Can you fit a mop in it?

The Ox is slow.......but the earth is..........:p

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
For me Bomber said it perfectly tonight on 360. He basically said Bucks has every right to be disappointed but went on to say the kid was a good kid, he will learn from his mistake and at the end of the day the kid can really play! He also said he liked the kid had a bit of mongrel, can't have a team of clean skins. Well that's my interpretation of what he said.

He was spot on too.

When times get tough on field and we are physically challenged it is the JDG and Adams types who come to the party.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

I'm in a unique position of being a bit older than them, but I know a lot of Gen Zer's through my GF and sister. Most at that age are unfortunately like that and its simply a case of one size doesn't fit all.

The best way I can explain it is considering that is the way your kids are being taught (the standard these days...) if you go the fire and brimstone approach is that likely to change ingrained behaviours? Or humble them for a bit only to see them continue to misbehave down the track because they get that all day at school? I would personally suggest that softly soflty is going to be a more likely solution if you want to change the behaviour (not telling you how to parent here either lol).

The long term solution might be to find him a mentor you trust that was rebellious, but kept it in line enough to get the best out of themselves. The person I would suggest is Johnno who was a rascal, certainly got the best out of himself and is also a good mate of Bucks. I am willing to bet every $ to my name that if Johnno was a proper mentor of JDG's (ala Dusty and Choco Williams)and he got that first call rather than the club this wouldn't have happened.

Some may scoff at the club going to such lengths to help one player out, but that's what you do to squeeze every last drop out of these guys.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm in a unique position of being a bit older than them, but I know a lot of Gen Zer's through my GF and sister. Most at that age are unfortunately like that and its simply a case of one size doesn't fit all.

The best way I can explain it is considering that is the way your kids are being taught (the standard these days...) if you go the fire and brimstone approach is that likely to change ingrained behaviours? Or humble them for a bit only to see them continue to misbehave down the track because they get that all day at school? I would personally suggest that softly soflty is going to be a more likely solution if you want to change the behaviour (not telling you how to parent here either lol).

The long term solution might be to find him a mentor you trust that was rebellious, but kept it in line enough to get the best out of themselves. The person I would suggest is Johnno who was a rascal, certainly got the best out of himself and is also a good mate of Bucks. I am willing to bet every $ to my name that if Johnno was a proper mentor of JDG's (ala Dusty and Choco Williams)and he got that first call rather than the club this wouldn't have happened.

Some may scoff at the club going to such lengths to help one player out, but that's what you do to squeeze every last drop out of these guys.

Agree 100% on the mentor part...........Johno or Tarrant would be perfect.......I think they both still work for the Club.

Its the Gen Zer's mentality that I find hard to accept. My boys are playing in the same under 9's Football Team this year and they do not have scoring (even though all the kids score) WHY?? Kids need to learn early that their can only be one winner (excluding draw) and a loser.
Losing builds character just like being told some home truths sometimes!!!

This generation is soft IMO but I tell you what they sure have an answer for anything you throw at them.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree 100% on the mentor part...........Johno or Tarrant would be perfect.......I think they both still work for the Club.

Its the Gen Zer's mentality that I find hard to accept. My boys are playing in the same under 9's Football Team this year and they do not have scoring (even though all the kids score) WHY?? Kids need to learn early that their can only be one winner (excluding draw) and a loser.

This generation is soft IMO but I tell you what they sure have an answer for anything you throw at them.

That's been the case for a long time though - my first year of footy was under 9's in 1992 and we didn't have scores. Under 10's had scores but no finals.

Swanny's first article for Fox footy;

Pretty good too, taking the piss a little to start with but he really could be one of the better AFL media personalities for years to come.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus

Oh that was worst. Both teams would sing the song at end as well it was really frustrating going through that. I can handle loosing and I want to enjoy winning, let me ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back