Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To kick a bag, Callum Sinclair had to play forward though, right?

To win us the game the week before as BOG, JDG had to play forward, right?

What is your point?

I don't think anyone here is arguing that we want to see him continue to develop as a midfielder, but given our midfield match-ups for the game and his performance the week before, I think it's funny to question the decision to play the same role.
I thought the point was pretty obvious. JDG, like Sinclair, was played forward out of necessity because of injury etc. Both had good games, but they were games that were not the norm for each of them when playing forward, which is not their preferred position, and not the position they can have potentially the greatest impact possible based on theirs strengths as players.

Nobody can fault the move to put JDG forward when Moore went down, but given we had 2 healthy tall forwards and adequate medium/small coverage against Adelaide, he should have been thrown back in to the middle where he's been showing his best attributes recently, and where he can genuinely make the team better. Jordy has always been a so/so forward. 1 game out of the box doesn't change that and shouldn't have influenced the coaching panel on where to play him the next week.

I thought the point was pretty obvious. JDG, like Sinclair, was played forward out of necessity because of injury etc. Both had good games, but they were games that were not the norm for each of them when playing forward, which is not their preferred position, and not the position they can have potentially the greatest impact possible based on theirs strengths as players.

Nobody can fault the move to put JDG forward when Moore went down, but given we had 2 healthy tall forwards and adequate medium/small coverage against Adelaide, he should have been thrown back in to the middle where he's been showing his best attributes recently, and where he can genuinely make the team better. Jordy has always been a so/so forward. 1 game out of the box doesn't change that and shouldn't have influenced the coaching panel on where to play him the next week.

I thought JDG played well in the high forward role. I've got no problem with him playing the role, no matter who was in our forward line, given his dominant performance the week before. Our forward line and midfield functioned beautifully for two and a half quarters against the best team in the comp, so I think its hard to fault the structure to a certain degree.

I thought he looked engaged throughout the game. I thought he looked dangerous forward and linked up well up the ground. It looked to me like he had stints in the middle too.

He may not have had dizzying numbers, but I didn't think he was poor by any means. It's not all about numbers.

If you have some stats to support where he spent the majority of time on the ground, I'd be happy to take a look. Or is it purely an 'eye test'?

On top of this, with Greenwood's tagging job in the middle, we don't know how that changes the offensive/defensive dynamic of our midfield - or atleast the perceived plan.

Perhaps JDG hasn't received more midfield time because he still need to work on the defensive side of his game? I guess these things we are not privy to.

I'm happy to question selection and match-up decisions like everyone else and I want JDG developed as a mid/x-factor forward, but I think it's a bit too soon to lose our sh1t over this.

To each their own.

De Goey is a real impact per possession player. He only had 18 touches on the weekend but I still feel he really contributed.

Think it was some of his decision making that took the gloss of his game. 18 possessions, 5 clearances, 7 I50s, 6 tackles isn't a bad game by any stretch. If he'd nailed his poster and dished of that handball and we'd managed another goal out of that work it would have elevated the performance.

Don't know if it's been mentioned by others but I'm actually happy that JDG lied about his hand injury and subsequently embarrassed himself. It's clearly made him more focused on repaying the club when he could easily have just been another talented kid with discipline issues.

Don't know if it's been mentioned by others but I'm actually happy that JDG lied about his hand injury and subsequently embarrassed himself. It's clearly made him more focused on repaying the club when he could easily have just been another talented kid with discipline issues.
I like your thinking, making the best we can out of a poor / silly situation earlier in the year

Meh. I'd have much preferred he didn't have to break a hand for a lesson to be learned, that he continued his Essendon pre-season game form, hit round 1 having established himself in the midfield in those first 6 rounds rather than a delayed start meaning he had to re-establish his midfield spot.

Meh. I'd have much preferred he didn't have to break a hand for a lesson to be learned, that he continued his Essendon pre-season game form, hit round 1 having established himself in the midfield in those first 6 rounds rather than a delayed start meaning he had to re-establish his midfield spot.
And the unknown

Would his contribution, hence, meant an extra win or two?

I thought JDG played well in the high forward role. I've got no problem with him playing the role, no matter who was in our forward line, given his dominant performance the week before. Our forward line and midfield functioned beautifully for two and a half quarters against the best team in the comp, so I think its hard to fault the structure to a certain degree.

I thought he looked engaged throughout the game. I thought he looked dangerous forward and linked up well up the ground. It looked to me like he had stints in the middle too.

He may not have had dizzying numbers, but I didn't think he was poor by any means. It's not all about numbers.

If you have some stats to support where he spent the majority of time on the ground, I'd be happy to take a look. Or is it purely an 'eye test'?

On top of this, with Greenwood's tagging job in the middle, we don't know how that changes the offensive/defensive dynamic of our midfield - or atleast the perceived plan.

Perhaps JDG hasn't received more midfield time because he still need to work on the defensive side of his game? I guess these things we are not privy to.

I'm happy to question selection and match-up decisions like everyone else and I want JDG developed as a mid/x-factor forward, but I think it's a bit too soon to lose our sh1t over this.

To each their own.
JDG played well very unlucky in the last 1/4 with i think 3 mins to go and tackled a Crow player that should have been holding the ball.

And the unknown

Would his contribution, hence, meant an extra win or two?

You can only assume team performance is enhanced by having more best 22 players playing, DeGoey is clearly best 22.

I've been impressed by his recent form.
But I'm interested in knowing if this form is because of Pendlebury's absence.
Is he in Pendles shadow and plays like it when the Captain is on the park?
Maybe you should go and actually check to see whether all his good games have been without Pendles in the side?

Screw it I'll do it for you. 32 disposals and 7 clearances vs Hawthorn. 27 disposals and 8 clearances vs GC. Both with Pendles in the side. So no, he's not in Pendles' shadow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rarely say this about our player management team as they're often wrong.

But they made a smart choice playing De Goey as a forward for 2 seasons. Goal kicking midfielders are invaluable, and having played as a permanant forward for a couple of seasons have done wonders for players like Dangerfield and Martin.

Next season, when we unleash De Goey as a predominant midfielder with occasional minutes up forward, he will dominate.

Today's game probably didn't challenge The Goo all that much, but geez he's starting to look...authoritative out there. Like he's in charge, with a bit of a strut going on. I like it.
Goo is good.

Just a beast, a real potential elite type.

We have him now, hands off everyone else.

Loving what he is bringing to the table.

But they made a smart choice playing De Goey as a forward for 2 seasons. Goal kicking midfielders are invaluable, and having played as a permanant forward for a couple of seasons have done wonders for players like Dangerfield and Martin.

Next season, when we unleash De Goey as a predominant midfielder with occasional minutes up forward, he will dominate.

It's actually quite similar to our development of Beams. Spend his first three years predominately on a forward flank, but it always seemed a midfielder biding his time as a forward. De Goey seems to taking the same route, can't wait til this bull is released full time into the midfield.

Goo is good.

Just a beast, a real potential elite type.

We have him now, hands off everyone else.

Loving what he is bringing to the table.
Loving it. Showing more each week, i liked his little balk inside 50 tonight to give himself more space and time. Didnt quite work out but he's definitely gaining the confidence to show more of his skills and tricks.
I firmly believe he'll be one of our most important players next year

Danger started as a hbf and Martin until recently was always a brute mid.

But point taken imo it was good but a year too long. Should of had more time on ball last year in small stints with increased responsibilty this year.

Starting to think he may get to the same level as Beams. Already far stronger and better in close and kicking improving by the week. Now for the consistency
I'll up that.

I'm very very very confident the Goo will surpass beames.

This makes me happy :)

I definitely hope he gets more midfield minutes as i think his a beast, but who does he replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back