Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kicked back to the twos for a few weeks??? Shirley you must be kidding. Johnson was suspended for the first five matches matches of the 2007 season after an incident in December 2006. No doubt prior form had a lot to do with it. After missing the finals and nearly trading him the year prior the club had had enough.

This was De Goeys second incident and he was kicked back to train with the VFL for a for a month because quite clearly the penny hadnt dropped yet after last year when he was "kicked back to the VFL for a few weeks". The other overlays to his punishment are purely peripheral to that. I cant believe people think that a bit of landscaping and charity work to have a glimpse of every day life compared to the priviliged life of a footballer is in any way a harsh punishment.

Must be an echo here. I could swear I said he was suspended for 5 weeks in my own post. We all know that. Was SJ's 3rd offence. For his 2nd offence, being arrested with Mackie outside a Geelong nightclub, he got a $1000 fine. You dont like my terminology of "kicked back to the twos for a few weeks" fine. We all agree he was suspended for 5 weeks from the AFL side on his 3rd offence with no other penalty.

I suspect its the "priviledged life of the footballer" that has got most posters here. "A bit of landscaping and charity work" downplays the huge penalty he received. Conveniently you left out the $10000 fine and the $10000 donation out which are the most outrageous part of his punishment. All dovetails nicely in with keeping the masses happy that these"priviledged" kids get a belt so we can all feel better about ourselves.

As I said a PR farce.

Speaking of Stevie J...

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-03-21/bucks-asked-stevie-j-for-advice-on-de-goey

Pies coach Nathan Buckley contacted Steve Johnson so the club could gain some experience on how to deal with Jordan De Goey.

Think it might be part of the extended interview between Whately and Buckley in the link that Dave posted in the Buckley thread.
Enjoyed that. Hope part of what Stevie advised was there wasn't a lot of mileage in hanging De Goey out to dry to appease the masses.

Because I went a bit over the top I said I wouldnt come back to this thread. Sorry but the latest debates have got me in

Seedsfan doesnt have many allies but it's interesting the flipping and denial on the other side.

Dont think Seedsfan has such an unbelievable theory. None of us know what happened. The hamstring may have just gone because that happens. D Goey falling behind early in pre season and then trying to catch up may have put extra strain on the string. De Goey doing some heavier manual work may have added extra stress to the string and thus it went.

All these senarios seem possible.

Interesting to note the line where a number of posters are saying there is no chance he was really doing any serious landscaping work. That to me supports the idea, if true, that this was much more a PR exercise that any real attempt to do something beneficial for De Goey. If he wasnt to do any real work did they say to him. "This is just a bit of a charade for the publics sake, we dont want you doing actual physical work as it goes against our sports science".

Whichever way I look at it it seems a PR farce.

Hamstrings happen. Silly to try and link it to workload at some faux job. These blokes are valuable commodities and are super fit relative to Joe Blogs average tradie, so any suggestion that 1. The club would sell them into hard labour or in some way risk them or 2. That pushing a few barrows of dirt would weary them to the point of risking injury is just plain silly or fodder to plump an agenda.

Next thing Cats supporters will be blaming Danger's hammy on him having a surf the day before.

Last edited:
Hamstrings happen. Silly to try and link it to workload at some faux job. These blokes are valuable commodities and are super fit relative to Joe Blogs average tradie, so any suggestion that 1. The club would sell them into hard labour or in some way risk them or 2. That pushing a few barrows of dirt would weary them to the point of risking injury is just plain silly or fodder to plump an agenda.
I reckon there are the three scenarios possible. Convenient when you want to discard the one that doesn't suit your agenda. I think in this cutting edge sports science time, of which I am a little cynical, the thought that some extra goal kicking practice may push these athletes over the edge then it's possible doing some manual labour might do the same. Seems plausible

Of course it may be more like you suggest and this was a faux job to sooth outside perceptions and that he really did no work of consequence. Either senario just highlights the stupidity of his punishment.

I reckon there are the three scenarios possible. Convenient when you want to discard the one that doesn't suit your agenda. I think in this cutting edge sports science time, of which I am a little cynical, the thought that some extra goal kicking practice may push these athletes over the edge then it's possible doing some manual labour might do the same. Seems plausible

Of course it may be more like you suggest and this was a faux job to sooth outside perceptions and that he really did no work of consequence. Either senario just highlights the stupidity of his punishment.

That might be a fair comment if I was pushing some agenda but I'm just arguing that a hypothetical offered that the work loads associated with his employment somehow contributed to his hamstring injury is ridiculous. So what are the other 3 scenarios you suggest are possible?

That might be a fair comment if I was pushing some agenda but I'm just arguing that a hypothetical offered that the work loads associated with his employment somehow contributed to his hamstring injury is ridiculous. So what are the other 3 scenarios you suggest are possible?
3 in total

1. Hamstrings happen
2. Got behind in preseason and pushed to get back risking injury
3. Extra manual work and change of activity put hamstring at risk

All seem possible to me. It's a bit of a non event anyway. The problem with the whole senario was the over top reaction of the club. Well illustrated by Timmy from Thomastown bringing up Steve J who ended up with a $1000 fine only with his second similar offence. Even when he had a third incident he got a punishment way less in severity.

Last edited:
3 in total

1. Hamstrings happen
3. Extra manual work and change of activity put hamstring at rest

All seem possible to me. It's a bit of a non event anyway. The problem with the whole senario was the over top reaction of the club. Well illustrated by Timmy from Thomastown bringing up Steve J who ended up with a $1000 fine only with his second similar offence. Even when he had a third incident he got a punishment way less in severity.
Or he just over stretch in a tackle, sometimes, no actually most times it happens

Or he just over stretch in a tackle, sometimes, no actually most times it happens
Which would be point no 1 , for me the most likely senario.

Then why all the argument for something different, if that’s your belief.
Read what I said. I think that is most likely but the other senarios are possible. My argument is against those who won't even entertain the possibility working at landscaping through the day and training at night could have put him at risk.

Read what I said. I think that is most likely but the other senarios are possible. My argument is against those who won't even entertain the possibility working at landscaping through the day and training at night could have put him at risk.
He is a very fit young man, who would do some land work at his own place, it will not hurt him at all. It’s upper body work mostly. Sorry nah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a very fit young man, who would do some land work at his own place, it will not hurt him at all. It’s upper body work mostly. Sorry nah.
It's interesting because we don't know how much work he did. If he did the full on week long manual work then I can see how that could throw him out.

If he didn't really get involved and the job was a bit of a charade, as we suspect it was, then it won't have had any effect. Either way we just look a little bit more stupid.

It's interesting because we don't know how much work he did. If he did the full on week long manual work then I can see how that could throw him out.

If he didn't really get involved and the job was a bit of a charade, as we suspect it was, then it won't have had any effect. Either way we just look a little bit more stupid.
Not really, even if he did not much and watched, it still would have been educational for him to experience. Does he want to play footy and be the best he can be, or just work Long and hard for very little. He could now realise what an opportunity he has in front of him.

Fair point.

Not sure he’s predisposed to home maintenance :eek: and home care :D

His fitness is built around 2-3 hr sessions not 8 hr day plus 2-3 hour sessions, I can see how if it was a proper days manual labour first time in his life as well how he may have had some extra tightness. Although being young and fit should allow him to do it none the less.

But really no one can say it wouldn't of happened had he not done it either, might have lifted a bit heavier squats that week or slacked off on the stretches before sprints etc etc million reasons could be why.

3 in total

1. Hamstrings happen
3. Extra manual work and change of activity put hamstring at risk

As I think I've made clear, I think 3 is pure fantasy, 1 the most likely and 2 a possibility.

I won't revisit the JDG punishment discussion, it's been done with o death and people are entitled to their views.

As I think I've made clear, I think 3 is pure fantasy, 1 the most likely and 2 a possibility.

I won't revisit the JDG punishment discussion, it's been done with o death and people are entitled to their views.
I just don't understand why you are so strong on the idea that a full days work landscaping couldn't have any effect especially if it was a new activity. Seems that posters want to take a stance that any reasoning that doesn't suit their position, even if there seems a reasonable basis to it, is fantasy or impossible.

I just don't understand why you are so strong on the idea that a full days work landscaping couldn't have any effect especially if it was a new activity. Seems that posters want to take a stance that any reasoning that doesn't suit their position, even if there seems a reasonable basis to it, is fantasy or impossible.
If there was a chance of injury, it would be in the first week not the last, as the body conditions it self to what it is experiencing. Your premise is he is actually doing hard work, l just don’t see it. I see it as a experience to learn not actually doing much work.
There so many regulations these days if properly adhere to, would mean very little would get done by him.

If there was a chance of injury, it would be in the first week not the last, as the body conditions it self to what it is experiencing. Your premise is he is actually doing hard work, l just don’t see it. I see it as a experience to learn not actually doing much work.
There so many regulations these days if properly adhere to, would mean very little would get done by him.
The injury occurred in the 2nd week his landscaping stint not at the end. Would be the at risk time.

While I would question the punishment in the 1st place it seems even more bizarre if we sent him to somewhere where he couldn't work and just asked him to hang around. If he was going to be any help at a landscaping business surely its helping with the lifting and manual work, he wouldnt have any of the skills required for anything else. If landscaping wasn't suitable by the club surely you sent him somewhere where he could do suitable work. Isnt that the whole point of what was trying to be achieved.

I’ll be glad when he kicks the football for us.

The rest is history.

Onwards and upwards :)

These guys are a lot fitter than you, me or Joe Average and it's not as if they habitually sit idle outside of footy because of potential risks, many would be active. To assume that the club would commit him to a day's work so strenuous as to render him at risk just defies logic. Happy for anyone with a log of his day-to-day activity to set me straight if I'm wrong, either that, or provide even 1 confirmed instance where employment activity has led to training injuries.

The whole way the De Goey treatment was handled defies logic.

These guys are a lot fitter than you, me or Joe Average and it's not as if they habitually sit idle outside of footy because of potential risks, many would be active. To assume that the club would commit him to a day's work so strenuous as to render him at risk just defies logic. Happy for anyone with a log of his day-to-day activity to set me straight if I'm wrong, either that, or provide even 1 confirmed instance where employment activity has led to training injuries.
Think you are assuming there is more measurement available here than there is.There is never any absolute proof of this sort of stuff. Its like the sports science staff stopping goal kicking practice because of risk of injury. Its a soft science without strong data. You wont find good proof one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back