Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we get Lukosius another way as we just will not finish low enough for a early early pick?

I doubt it because I don’t see us giving a major piece for pick 1.

If De Goey is really contemplating departing, the blame must go to the idiots who concocted the ridiculous punishment for his driving conviction. I would be extremely resentful towards my employer for the financial penalty for something unrelated to work if it was me. I would be planning my departure, and looking for payback as I went.

If De Goey is really contemplating departing, the blame must go to the idiots who concocted the ridiculous punishment for his driving conviction. I would be extremely resentful towards my employer for the financial penalty for something unrelated to work if it was me. I would be planning my departure, and looking for payback as I went.
Just can’t agree here that he’s even thinking of leaving.

More a St Kilda story to get themselves a player that might appeal to their supporters.

We don’t know what his next contract will be might even catch up his fines etc, we just don’t know.

Whilst I don’t agree with it, these days clubs act on all this stuff to make a statement to society. Why I don’t know but they do.
Maybe they are so scared if they don’t handle it correctly it will end up an ball tampering story that nobody can begin to control.

Someone mentioned Jdg a risk. He's a risk to us because he's behaved at times like a dill more so than others his age, but no worse then a lot of other kids. This sort of character puts our club more than other clubs in the spotlight. A club like the GCS will have no problem offering him a long term deal. An indiscretion say at the Sun's or North means he might miss a game through internal disciplinary action, but externally it will be small article in the herald sun if that on page 67 rather then a front and back page spread. Anf then it's almost certain he will grow up over that time anyway...

Last edited:
Just can’t agree here that he’s even thinking of leaving.

More a St Kilda story to get themselves a player that might appeal to their supporters.

We don’t know what his next contract will be might even catch up his fines etc, we just don’t know.

Whilst I don’t agree with it, these days clubs act on all this stuff to make a statement to society. Why I don’t know but they do.
Maybe they are so scared if they don’t handle it correctly it will end up an ball tampering story that nobody can begin to control.
I agree with all of this. The story may be just another beat up. I hope so. But the club excursion into legal matters well outside its remit angers me.

I agree with all of this. The story may be just another beat up. I hope so. But the club excursion into legal matters well outside its remit angers me.
I’m hearing you.

If the story was given to the media would have been St Kilda.
No benefit to us for any such story, interruption, the comeback of Jordy etc

Love and respect your work Knighter but I reckon you've gone off the deep end with this particular proposal. That's an insane amount to give away for one player. I understand Lukosius is as close as you can get to a guaranteed superstar, but if he doesn't pan out or injuries strike that kind of trade would set the club back years.

I recall a few years ago you were extremely big on Tom Boyd, and if I remember correctly you were suggesting some similarly hefty trades to get pick one to secure him. Well, we've seen how he's turned out since. Make no mistake I'm in no way having a go at your talent ID, you're streets ahead of anyone else on BF in that regard. Just making the point that even 'sure things' aren't necessarily sure things, and giving away potentially 3 A graders in DeGoey and 2 first rounders for a single draft pick/underage player is way overboard in my opinion.

Boyd I considered at that time to be around on parr with Patton - which hasn't proven to be correct with Patton more agile and better at ground level, and also taking more grabs which probably shouldn't be the case.

My recommendations at the time was to trade Ben Reid for Boyd in his draft year. My projection wasn't as over the top for Boyd which I spoke about in the 2013 Collingwood Almanac.

In comparing Lukosius to Boyd, there isn't a comparison to be made with the number of ways Lukosius can impact games and not being that type who dominates because of his height/size a further notable difference.

It's also worth noting that my projections of key forwards typically haven't been as high as that of AFL clubs - seeing Harry and Ben McKay, Weideman, Schache and McCartin going much higher than I was comfortable with them featuring in recent drafts by comparison to my power rankings.

The club may like you determine Lukosius not to be worth as much as I believe he is worth, but that's my personal evaluation of his long term worth.

It's a possibility. Good run with injuries over his career and Lukosius could make it a conversation.

For me it's less whether he's better than Buddy, as he's almost identical in play to Nick Riewoldt - he's just slightly taller and a MUCH better kick (as in elite or near elite by midfield standards). Not as one take overhead as Nick which he'll need to work on if he wants to reach that level of greatness. But he's still a capable mark and takes plenty, including contested. He just has that completely undefendable game. You almost need to have someone stay in the def 50m and someone up the field who picks him up as it's not realistic to defend him individually as per Nick Riewoldt in his prime. Hang back and he'll take mark after mark up the ground and drill passes to teammates or run with the ball himself. Follow him up the ground and he'll gut run back towards goal and take the mark inside 50m on you before you can get back, or if you somehow keep up with him, he'll then proceed to lead and take the grab before you can get your breath back to make any attempt to contest.

I don't see Lukosius kicking as many goals per game as Buddy. He could have a 70/80 goal season and several in the 50s and 60s, but you don't waste him so close to goal. You want him pushing up the ground and let him work his man over because kicking goals isn't the only way he adds value.

Overall, if he's Nick Riewoldt, that's a huge success, but also someone he is very capable of replicating the play of, in the way Jonathon Brown was able to replicate the play of Wayne Carey. Though hopefully Lukosius unlike Brown doesn't have the better part of his career ruined by injury and has a much longer prime.

Sounds like a certain former no.1 draft pick profile in Jack Watts...

First preference would be to keep JDG. However if he is leaving we should strike a deal with GC. From memory there has been a link between JDG and GC before.

I'm reasonably sure that the AFL would take a rather dim view of collusion between two clubs designed to take advantage of the FA compensation provisions, in order to facilitate a pre-planned trade for a marquee player in this manner.

Jack Watts was picked on his attributes and potential. He didn't really have that many runs on the board or exposed form as a junior, because he'd focused more on basketball than football. This kid sounds like a different kettle of fish. But Degoey and 2 first rounders is crazy. I can't think of a current player that I'd pay that much for - let alone an untried kid.

Watts is an athlete and has skill, but wasn't dominating in the SANFL (League) and lacks the aerobic capacity of Lukosius.

No recent draft prospect stacks up v Lukosius. It's just not close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Watts was picked on his attributes and potential. He didn't really have that many runs on the board or exposed form as a junior, because he'd focused more on basketball than football. This kid sounds like a different kettle of fish. But Degoey and 2 first rounders is crazy. I can't think of a current player that I'd pay that much for - let alone an untried kid.
As KM said, it was more just a point getting thrown across as how much this kid is rated by him, no one would trade that much for pick number 1. Well I hope not anyway.

I can see where he’s coming from through, from a purely draft and talent ID Lukosius is the best to come through in a very long time, maybe even ever. Do they usually stand up to the hype? Not really, but hey this one could be different :D.

De Goey I think is going to be the driving force of the engine room, the linchpin of the midfield for us so we want to hold on I think, 500k per year is fine.

If we want Lynch it will have to come another way. I think GC would be amenable to a JDG swap plus some evening up but I would prefer to hold DeGoey. Two first round picks and a Josh Thomas type. Maybe a three-way trade involving another club to deliver a decent player to GC.

Going for Lynch or young tall will all be determined by where we finish the year. Top 8 = Get Lynch, Bottom 10 = Young Turk.

Last edited:
Watts is an athlete and has skill, but wasn't dominating in the SANFL (League) and lacks the aerobic capacity of Lukosius.

No recent draft prospect stacks up v Lukosius. It's just not close.

Watts went to Melbourne Grammar, yes? Played at Sandringham Dragons.

Whoever finishes last on the ladder will draft Lukosius. No ifs or buts. It’s really that simple. The trade you’d have to do to land pick one would be outrageous.

I'm reasonably sure that the AFL would take a rather dim view of collusion between two clubs designed to take advantage of the FA compensation provisions, in order to facilitate a pre-planned trade for a marquee player in this manner.

Unless you're GC where the AFL will do anything to make them competitive. And you obviously don't come out and openly say it. De Goey's value is so up in the air that you can reasonably argue that the trade is fair.

Becasue of Tom Boyd's hype I clearly remember reading a trade in 2013 that was, Sidey, Witts and pick 6 for pick 1.

Yep, that was Sidey, Witts and Schaz for one Tom Boyd. He was hyped as (almost) much as this Lukosius kid.

Luckily we had a recruiter who posted on that site who rightly replied, 'not sure if serious'???

Unless you're GC where the AFL will do anything to make them competitive. And you obviously don't come out and openly say it. De Goey's value is so up in the air that you can reasonably argue that the trade is fair.

I think the issue with your trade is we get away like bandits. We get Lynch and their top 4 compo pick for De Goey?

GC would be looking to get De Goey plus our first rounder for Lynch.

I think the issue with your trade is we get away like bandits. We get Lynch and their top 4 compo pick for De Goey?

GC would be looking to get De Goey plus our first rounder for Lynch.

We do give away our first round. It's get Tom Lynch on Free agency and make sure they don't match by giving them JDG for a small upgrade of our first round

So yes they do effectively get JDG plus our first round for Lynch

Watts went to Melbourne Grammar, yes? Played at Sandringham Dragons.

Watts went to Brighton Grammar, but that's precisely my point.

He wasn't playing against state league competition every week as Lukosius is.

Lukosius is dominating against SANFL competition adds credibility v a TAC Cup competition and U18 champs where you're against kids and have anti congestion rules that make it easier for Victorian junior key forwards to look better than they are.

Watts went to Brighton Grammar, but that's precisely my point.

He wasn't playing against state league competition every week as Lukosius is.

Lukosius is dominating against SANFL competition adds credibility v a TAC Cup competition and U18 champs where you're against kids and have anti congestion rules that make it easier for Victorian junior key forwards to look better than they are.

That was the talk around Aish as well but hasn't translated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back