Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you might be getting confused? They don't gain a "top 5 pick" as their trade of their original pick 3 to us in your scenario cancels out that compo pick. Otherwise how do we end up with their pick 3??

In both deals we end up with Lynch and pick 3, yeah?

So you give them pick 9 and Degoey.

In mine they get pick 4, Degoey, Thomas and future 2nd.

Further to that, we keep our pick 9 in my deal plus get Lynch and pick 3. You do the math, both teams in my scenario get more.

If you think pick 4 cancels out pick 3 then the same applies to pick 9 except leaves them worse off.

Also Im going off the post where you said :
If we traded our first and future second pick plus a Josh Thomas for Lynch and then traded JDG directly for GC's current first round pick, both parties would end up worse off because we're not getting the free compo pick.

Under your scenario:
Coll gain - Lynch, Pick 3 (est.)
Coll lose - Pick 9 (est.), future second round pick, JDG, Josh Thomas

GC gain - JDG, Pick 9, future second, Josh Thomas
GC lose - pick 3, Lynch

Under mine
Coll gain - Lynch, Pick 3
Coll lose - Pick 9, JDG

GC gain - JDG, Pick 9
GC lose - Lynch

Edit: If you meant (which you left out of that response) was FA lynch they get pick 4 plus Degoey and pick 9 imo that is too heavy a price.

Last edited:
If De Goey is really contemplating departing, the blame must go to the idiots who concocted the ridiculous punishment for his driving conviction. I would be extremely resentful towards my employer for the financial penalty for something unrelated to work if it was me. I would be planning my departure, and looking for payback as I went.

Surely you really don't want to rehash that old chestnut.

Looks like someone has refreshed their stocks.

I just reckon we stuffed up with the Murray trade, because if we threw Degoey and that second round pick at GC, when you factor in free agency compensation and assume that they finish bottom 2, we'll end up with Lynch and Lukosius, as long as we can also trade our first rounder to St Kilda who will ontrade their first rounder to Gold Coast. We may need to sweeten the deal. Perhaps we could bundle together Smith, Blair, Mayne and Broomhead. However, this is all assuming that the Gold Coast recruiting manager is left handed and wearing a pink carnation in his left lapel and that the St Kilda Manager has an uncle called Boris.

Apologies to all serious posters with the ability to keep up with these hypothetical permutations - it's all just confusing the hell out of me.

Further to that, we keep our pick 9 in my deal plus get Lynch and pick 3. You do the math, both teams in my scenario get more.

If you think pick 4 cancels out pick 3 then the same applies to pick 9 except leaves them worse off.

I think you're getting confused with the pick 3 and the pick 4 compo pick. Let's simply it by saying that they just keep their pick 3 the whole time in both scenarios and trade us the compo pick 4.

In my scenario they lose Lynch, get pick 4 compo and trade that to us for JDG and pick 9. Net result:
GC:
Lose Lynch
Gain JDG and Pick 9

Coll:
Lose JDG and pick 9
Gain Lynch and Pick 4.

In your scenario, they lose Lynch, get pick 4 compo and trade that to us for JDG, 2nd round and Thomas. Net result:
GC:
Lose Lynch
Gain JDG, 2nd round pick and Thomas

Coll:
Lose JDG, 2nd round pick and Thomas
Gain Lynch and Pick 4.

Unless GC thinks Thomas and a 2nd round pick is worth Pick 4, they're losing out a lot under your deal.

I just reckon we stuffed up with the Murray trade, because if we threw Degoey and that second round pick at GC, when you factor in free agency compensation and assume that they finish bottom 2, we'll end up with Lynch and Lukosius, as long as we can also trade our first rounder to St Kilda who will ontrade their first rounder to Gold Coast. We may need to sweeten the deal. Perhaps we could bundle together Smith, Blair, Mayne and Broomhead. However, this is all assuming that the Gold Coast recruiting manager is left handed and wearing a pink carnation in his left lapel and that the St Kilda Manager has an uncle called Boris.

Apologies to all serious posters with the ability to keep up with these hypothetical permutations - it's all just confusing the hell out of me.

Neither I or Ugene put forward an unreasonable deal worthy of a blair, oxley quip. The premise is to use FA compo as part of the trade negotiations. I was using the Geelong and Crows deal for danger as a template throwing in FA pick 4 to get the pick 3 across.

Maximising both teams returns but not losing a ridiculous amount like we did in the Trelaor deal.

GC need experience as much as talent. Having a heap of talent with no experience is why clubs falter and stay down for long periods.

Further to that, we keep our pick 9 in my deal plus get Lynch and pick 3. You do the math, both teams in my scenario get more.If you think pick 4 cancels out pick 3 then the same applies to pick 9 except leaves them worse off.
Also Im going off the post where you said :
Edit: If you meant (which you left out of that response) was FA lynch they get pick 4 plus Degoey and pick 9 imo that is too heavy a price.

a85e8ab493aae53aafd88d9a917a7dd7.gif

I think you're getting confused with the pick 3 and the pick 4 compo pick. Let's simply it by saying that they just keep their pick 3 the whole time in both scenarios and trade us the compo pick 4.

In my scenario they lose Lynch, get pick 4 compo and trade that to us for JDG and pick 9. Net result:
GC:
Lose Lynch
Gain JDG and Pick 9

Coll:
Lose JDG and pick 9
Gain Lynch and Pick 4.

In your scenario, they lose Lynch, get pick 4 compo and trade that to us for JDG, 2nd round and Thomas. Net result:
GC:
Lose Lynch
Gain JDG, 2nd round pick and Thomas

Coll:
Lose JDG, 2nd round pick and Thomas
Gain Lynch and Pick 4.

Unless GC thinks Thomas and a 2nd round pick is worth Pick 4, they're losing out a lot under your deal.

Nah I just didn't realise you were still doing FA going off that response you put up of Pick 9 for pick 3.

I think you are being too weighted to them and leaving us short. I'd rather we worked it so our first is in tact.

You are giving them pick 4 compo, Degoey and pick 9.

If last weekend shows us anything it's that great things that can happen when you draft in elite young talent

No trading required

Neither I or Ugene put forward an unreasonable deal worthy of a blair, oxley quip. The premise is to use FA compo as part of the trade negotiations. I was using the Geelong and Crows deal for danger as a template throwing in FA pick 4 to get the pick 3 across.

Maximising both teams returns but not losing a ridiculous amount like we did in the Trelaor deal.

GC need experience as much as talent. Having a heap of talent with no experience is why clubs falter and stay down for long periods.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that either of you were being unreasonable, it was just confusing the hell out of me.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that either of you were being unreasonable, it was just confusing the hell out of me.

Because we got confused, one of his earlier posts he had left out he wanted Lynch as FA so effectively pick 4 plus what he wanted to trade pick 9 and Degoey. See below where we went wrong no FA in there for his deal.

If we traded our first and future second pick plus a Josh Thomas for Lynch and then traded JDG directly for GC's current first round pick, both parties would end up worse off because we're not getting the free compo pick.

Under your scenario:
Coll gain - Lynch, Pick 3 (est.)
Coll lose - Pick 9 (est.), future second round pick, JDG, Josh Thomas

GC gain - JDG, Pick 9, future second, Josh Thomas
GC lose - pick 3, Lynch

Under mine
Coll gain - Lynch, Pick 3
Coll lose - Pick 9, JDG

GC gain - JDG, Pick 9
GC lose - Lynch

Unless you're GC where the AFL will do anything to make them competitive. And you obviously don't come out and openly say it. De Goey's value is so up in the air that you can reasonably argue that the trade is fair.

I would think that letting Tom Lynch go for less than he'd be on at GC would be the antithesis of doing anything to make them competitive.

I like DeGoey's potential as much as the next guy (probably more so), but his current value is not even remotely in the neighbourhood of Lynch's no matter how you try to spin it, so they'd be giving away the best player *and* the highest pick in what would be by any measure you care to use a totally one-sided arrangement.

I would think the AFL's desire to "do anything" would much more likely involve throwing a massive bunch of cash at him and then surrounding him with better talent, both on and off field.

Nah I just didn't realise you were still doing FA going off that response you put up of Pick 9 for pick 3.

I think you are being too weighted to them and leaving us short. I'd rather we worked it so our first is in tact.

You are giving them pick 4 compo, Degoey and pick 9.

Ah yea I can see where the confusion started with the FA.

But to your second point just to be clear, I'm not giving them the pick 4 compo. We're getting that pick 4 compo from them for JDG and pick 9. Just as you're getting that pick 4 compo from them for JDG, 2nd round and Thomas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yea I can see where the confusion started with the FA.

But to your second point just to be clear, I'm not giving them the pick 4 compo. We're getting that pick 4 compo from them for JDG and pick 9. Just as you're getting that pick 4 compo from them for JDG, 2nd round and Thomas.

Nah mate im gunning for pick 3.:D No backsies on the Lynch compo!;)

I would think that letting Tom Lynch go for less than he'd be on at GC would be the antithesis of doing anything to make them competitive.

I like DeGoey's potential as much as the next guy (probably more so), but his current value is not even remotely in the neighbourhood of Lynch's no matter how you try to spin it, so they'd be giving away the best player *and* the highest pick in what would be by any measure you care to use a totally one-sided arrangement.

I would think the AFL's desire to "do anything" would much more likely involve throwing a massive bunch of cash at him and then surrounding him with better talent, both on and off field.

Yea definitely not suggesting a JDG for Lynch straight trade. My trade scenario sees them getting JDG and our first round pick (e.g. 9) for Lynch. Which is very similar to the price the dogs paid for Boyd (pick 6 + an old Ryan Griffen).

In return for letting go of JDG and our first round, we get an upgrade of that first round to their compo (pick 4 for example) and Lynch.

Yea definitely not suggesting a JDG for Lynch straight trade. My trade scenario sees them getting JDG and our first round pick (e.g. 9) for Lynch. Which is very similar to the price the dogs paid for Boyd (pick 6 + an old Ryan Griffen).

In return for letting go of JDG and our first round, we get an upgrade of that first round to their compo (pick 4 for example) and Lynch.

I think you're missing the point here, so let's break down what the effective deal will be:

GC gives:

Tom Lynch (best player)
Pick 4 (highest pick)

Collingwood gives:

Jordan DeGoey
Pick 7-10

Make sense now why the AFL cannot allow this to happen in any form?

As you correctly mentioned they are an AFL-run club and there would be a riot if they allowed this to happen.

Nah mate im gunning for pick 3.:D No backsies on the Lynch compo!;)

PointlessTepidIberianmole-max-1mb.gif

I think you're missing the point here, so let's break down what the effective trade will be:

GC gives:

Tom Lynch (best player in trade)
Pick 4 (best pick in trade)

Collingwood gives:

Jordan DeGoey
Pick 7-10

Make sense now why the AFL cannot allow this to happen in any form?

As you correctly mentioned they are an AFL-run club and there would be a riot if they allowed this to happen.

The pick 4 that GC gives comes from the AFL compo. So GC only ever give Lynch for JDG and Pick 7-10. We're not technically trading for Lynch. We're trading JDG and pick 7-10 to GC for Pick 4 so that they don't match our Free Agency offer to Lynch.

The pick 4 that GC gives comes from the AFL compo. So GC only ever give Lynch for JDG and Pick 7-10. We're not technically trading for Lynch. We're trading JDG and pick 7-10 to GC for Pick 4 so that they don't match our Free Agency offer to Lynch.

You couldn't have described collusion better there if you tried. :huh:

Once again it's an AFL run club and the other 16 clubs will clearly see this for what it is - part of the same package deal irrespective of whatever technicalities that may be put forward.

The fact that GC also get screwed heavily in the deal is neither here nor there...

In other words StKilda are being toyed with? Whodathunkit.

I'm not aware JDG has been shopped around and take that with a grain of salt. Almost every player is up for grabs at the right price of course.
When club cultures thrive on hope like the. Saints it's pretty easy to get played.
About JDG getting offered around, I first heard it from a Rabid Pies supporter 2 years ago 2016 trade period, but hey we all get stuff wrong in big and little ways, doesn't change anything does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back