Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubbish, Heeney has had a very average year and has also been dropped. He can't be a superstar either?
Wasn't Brayshaw dropped as well from that draft class? The running patterns in modern football are so complicated it takes years to learn. It used to take the talls longer to absorb the game than the mids, but now all players need time to adjust to the game. De Goey will be fine. Shot out some great handballs during the WC game. Wouldn't attach any significance to De Goey being dropped other than they wanted to bring Blair back into the side. Will be fun watching De Goey performing against Coburg on Saturday and I reckon he'll do ok.

Long term top liner for us.
All part of the gruelling first few years players have to learn.
Back him in, he'll be a beauty.

Daisy was a flashy footballer that didnt really understand the game or his limitations until his 5th year or so. Some take a while to live up to the hype and potential.

Im certainly not giving up on him yet and i think he can be an elite footballer given time. They should really be playing him for the rest of the year.

No good, can't kick, tackle, loses his footing, must be traded this year.

Not for me, coming along nicely, one more preseason, and he will be a gun.

Played his role when the team has been performing poorly and much better than some senior players. I am not too concerned.

No good, can't kick, tackle, loses his footing, must be traded this year.

Not for me, coming along nicely, one more preseason, and he will be a gun.

Played his role when the team has been performing poorly and much better than some senior players. I am not too concerned.
I am optimistic, but how do you throw "he will be a gun" and "I am not too concerned" into the one post?

He has shown some strong attributes (marking, physicality, reading ruckmen's hands, hitting loose ball at pace, tackling) but also some weaker ones (lack of spatial awareness, inability to win enough ball, hitting forward targets by foot, goal kicking on the run).

There is plenty of room for improvement, and reason to be hopeful he'll eliminate some of his weaknesses while honing his strengths, but it's not a given.

No dramas with him being dropped this late in the season, his body will be getting tired like it does for most 1-3 year players.
He has been solid in his 2nd season and is tracking nicely

I am optimistic, but how do you throw "he will be a gun" and "I am not too concerned" into the one post?

He has shown some strong attributes (marking, physicality, reading ruckmen's hands, hitting loose ball at pace, tackling) but also some weaker ones (lack of spatial awareness, inability to win enough ball, hitting forward targets by foot, goal kicking on the run).

There is plenty of room for improvement, and reason to be hopeful he'll eliminate some of his weaknesses while honing his strengths, but it's not a given.
Because he knows where to run, can find the ball and is not scared to attack the ball and player, these are things that IMO you can't teach, the rest are all teachable. I think that his lack of spatial awareness is more about panic with ball in hand (making the right decision) which in turn affects his disposal, this will come with experience and a better group around him.
He has played 17 games this year and kicked 9 goals in some very ordinary losses.
2nd year player and has plenty of time to develop, in fact I see him developing into a player similar to Sidebottom.

So far it looks like

Petracca
Moore
Heeney

The rest
Hmmm, I actually think Heeney has been almost as underwhelming as JDG this year, but that's just my opinion. I think the guys who are currently battling out the top 3 spots are Moore, Petracca and Wright, but regardless, I think JDG will still end up being a worthy pick 5. If Aish can bounce back from his horrid second year, then I think JDG will be fine.

Because he knows where to run, can find the ball and is not scared to attack the ball and player, these are things that IMO you can't teach, the rest are all teachable. I think that his lack of spatial awareness is more about panic with ball in hand (making the right decision) which in turn affects his disposal, this will come with experience and a better group around him.
He has played 17 games this year and kicked 9 goals in some very ordinary losses.
2nd year player and has plenty of time to develop, in fact I see him developing into a player similar to Sidebottom.
I don't see him being anything like Sidey. He'll be an inside beast, while Sidey is all about the outside endurance running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That part where you've been arguing we need more mids not someone like Wright has got me stumped.

We already have Cox, Keeffe and Moore as tall forwards who can also ruck. I think we need a Gunston type forward along with a quality crumber. I see Howe as that player and would be happy to draft a skilled crumber. I think we should be focussed on developing our kicking skills rather than a contested style of footy in which the ball is bombed long to 200cm giants.

We already have Cox, Keeffe and Moore as tall forwards who can also ruck. I think we need a Gunston type forward along with a quality crumber. I see Howe as that player and would be happy to draft a skilled crumber. I think we should be focussed on developing our kicking skills rather than a contested style of footy in which the ball is bombed long to 200cm giants.
Wrong thread?

The bolded seems an odd statement in terms of his ball winning ability, you'd like to see him following someone like Hanneburys projection - Hannebury started in a Sydney team that was 'okay' without being terrible and without being great, his first 3 years were in a team of this quality so it makes for a reasonable comparison:

Year 1:
Hannebury - Games 7, Disposals per game 12.4
De Goey - Games 16, Disposals per game 13.9

year 2
Hannebury - Games 21, Disposals per game 20.6
De Goey - Games 17, Disposals per game 18.6

Of note 2010 was a transitional year for Sydney with Kennedy first year at Swans, a gathering momentum Kieran Jack (no parker) and the winding down of O'Keefe (2 good years after this) and Boltons last midfield time - how this compares with the current Collingwood squad i don't know? (Treloar first year at the club, Adams gaining momentum?)

Getting the pill I wouldn't think is a weakness, cleaning up disposal and his goalkicking etc (the other weakness you mentioned) are. You would however hope to see some scattered 30 game disposals into his line over the next 12 months.

Another player of note Joel Selwood - his goalkicking in his first few years were poor
Year 1 - 46% on 15 Shots (De Goey 60% on 10 Shots)
Year 2 - 40% on 15 Shots (De Goey 42% on 21 Shots)
Year 3 - 52% on 21 Shots
Year 4 - 47% on 19 Shots
Year 5 - 55% on 27 Shots
year 6 - 52% on 25 Shots
year 7 - 65% on 46 Shots

But Selwood is one of those guys that found a LOT of the ball from day one didn't really build into a career just came in and got all midfield minutes

How De Goey's second year stats stack up against his current team mates and some x collingwood players second year stats. Ratings are based on AFL points. He stacks up quite good really! Stats from AFL tables.

13667972_1780412122209193_1270074166886768765_o.jpg

I think ball-winning ability was a pot on him at U18 level and I'm yet to see him allay those concerns.

As for panicking with the ball; I think it's quite the opposite, I'd almost prefer to see him panic more as is usual in new recruits before the game slows down for them. De Goey on the other hand thinks he has time that he doesn't have. He doesn't panic because he has no idea the pressure is there.

haa,haa at least l got a laugh out of that photo.
keep trying
And I got the laugh out of your reasoning why De Goey will come good destroyed by that photo, so we're square :)

Cox and Keeffe might come good and turn out to be quality but our tall stocks pale into insignificance compared to our mids.

Not to mention top notch mids are much easier to come across than classy KP's.

I think ball-winning ability was a pot on him at U18 level and I'm yet to see him allay those concerns.

As for panicking with the ball; I think it's quite the opposite, I'd almost prefer to see him panic more as is usual in new recruits before the game slows down for them. De Goey on the other hand thinks he has time that he doesn't have. He doesn't panic because he has no idea the pressure is there.

I see it the other way around. Sometimes he panics and rushes a kick when there isnt any real pressure applied. When he realises he has more time he will start to make better decisions

And I got the laugh out of your reasoning why De Goey will come good destroyed by that photo, so we're square :)
keep dreaming about a photo destroying a reasoning that's even more funny:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back