Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is likely to depart at years end in what will be an amicable separation with both parties reasonably happy with the outcome
De Goey gets the big career contract he wants and goes to a contender like Port St Kilda Sydney etc
Pies get a top 5 free agency compo pick and more importantly start to build a salary cap warchest for when we are contending again
For that to happen we have to finish bottom 3 lol as the Lions will get pick 1 on points then the Roos and Eagles for the bottom two spots.

He’s the most talented player on our list, which shows the state of our list. He’s talented sure, but he’s no star. And very inconsistent. Would benefit both parties for a change of scenery for him.
The odds of us getting sufficient compensation for losing him (ie. the quality draftee that we pick up) make it likely to be a bad deal for us. Hope we keep him.

The odds of us getting sufficient compensation for losing him (ie. the quality draftee that we pick up) make it likely to be a bad deal for us. Hope we keep him.
I think a pick and freeing up his salary will be more beneficial to us than keeping him. Can then use that money to chase a FA like Tom green or McKay next year. I just don’t think he’s worth the $ he commands. Even more so in a rebuilding team. Of course many of us are going to have different opinions on this one. Mines changed recently

He's pretty clearly asked to stay ahead of the ball after stoppage. Hell, even during stoppage he's usually positioned goal side to receive and break. I'm not sure what defensive efforts you're looking for from the role he's playing other than when he's directly in a contest and he does provide them then.
Defensive efforts have very little to do with stoppage positioning. They are about pushing defensively. I have no issue with him adopting an attacking position at a stoppage. He is the best person for that. But when it doesn't fall his way he offers nothing.

Defensive efforts have very little to do with stoppage positioning. They are about pushing defensively. I have no issue with him adopting an attacking position at a stoppage. He is the best person for that. But when it doesn't fall his way he offers nothing.

If your role is to play attacking side at stoppage and push ahead of the ball after stoppage, what "pushing defensively" are you looking to see?

I'd actually like him to stop playing attacking side at stoppage, as I thought he was showing good signs as a first possession mid.

That to me is saying “the chances are we won’t get De Goey’s equivalent in the draft/FA, so it’s best to remain in our current position rather than take that risk”.

We need to take some swings if we’re going to climb up the ladder. I always say it, 17 out of 18 teams fail every year, and we have to leapfrog quite a few of them. We’re not going to get there by maintaining the status quo, and we’ve cocked up just about every offseason from 2015-2018 so there’s not a lot coming through unless we start manufacturing it now. Moore, Maynard and Grundy are locked in, we have De Goey/Adams/Crisp in their prime and I think Crisp is undervalued by the market if anything.

That to me is saying “the chances are we won’t get De Goey’s equivalent in the draft/FA, so it’s best to remain in our current position rather than take that risk”.

We need to take some swings if we’re going to climb up the ladder. I always say it, 17 out of 18 teams fail every year, and we have to leapfrog quite a few of them. We’re not going to get there by maintaining the status quo, and we’ve cocked up just about every offseason from 2015-2018 so there’s not a lot coming through unless we start manufacturing it now. Moore, Maynard and Grundy are locked in, we have De Goey/Adams/Crisp in their prime and I think Crisp is undervalued by the market if anything.
jim carrey GIF

^ I’m saying not only is there a chance of getting a player as good as De Goey, there is a chance that not only do we get a player in the draft who proves a better servant of the club than De Goey, but that with the cap savings and the number of holes we have in our list/profile, there is a chance we could significantly improve TWO positions rather than one. But moreover, we are pretty much obligated to take a shot rather than maintain mediocrity.

One thing that I find interesting but has been bugging me for a while is that JDG and Darcy were like best mates when they arrived at the club. But now, I cant remember seeing them talk or stand next next to each other in the past few years. Reckon they have become two completely diff people, but no idea if anything more to this, or if it’s off the mark…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that I find interesting but has been bugging me for a while is that JDG and Darcy were like best mates when they arrived at the club. But now, I cant remember seeing them talk or stand next next to each other in the past few years. Reckon they have become two completely diff people, but no idea if anything more to this, or if it’s off the mark…

I wouldn’t read anything into it. You don’t have to like your workmates. Also doubt if Moore is all that impressed by the macho alpha male vibes De Goey gives off. Some of us find that off-putting. Although not so off-putting if it was backed up by consistent dominance on the field.🙃

FYI, whenever I bag JDG on here, it has the reverse-mozz effect, and he puts in a blinder the following game. You can thank me later.😁

I wouldn’t read anything into it. You don’t have to like your workmates. Also doubt if Moore is all that impressed by the macho alpha male vibes De Goey gives off. Some of us find that off-putting. Although not so off-putting if it was backed up by consistent dominance on the field.🙃

FYI, whenever I bag JDG on here, it has the reverse-mozz effect, and he puts in a blinder the following game. You can thank me later.😁
So you're a fan of betas?

^ I’m saying not only is there a chance of getting a player as good as De Goey, there is a chance that not only do we get a player in the draft who proves a better servant of the club than De Goey, but that with the cap savings and the number of holes we have in our list/profile, there is a chance we could significantly improve TWO positions rather than one. But moreover, we are pretty much obligated to take a shot rather than maintain mediocrity.

I'd keep him. Probably emotional reasons more than logic.

Logically, it's all about time frames. If we're seriously trying to contend during the next 5 years, you can't let him go - We have to be trying to load up on ready to go players and can't afford to lose the current JDG let alone him having the potential to go up a step and be a real difference maker.

I don't think we're likely to be contending and the logical move would be to let him go in order to get an early pick and bank salary cap to load up on players when we're in a better position to become challengers. The same would have applied to Moore though. However where would you draw the line on that. The same applies in terms of trading: Crisp, Adams, Mihocek, Elliott. I don't know if I'd be willing to watch us intentionally embrace a period of being completely crap in order to aim for a really long slow re-build.

I'd keep him. Probably emotional reasons more than logic.

Logically, it's all about time frames. If we're seriously trying to contend during the next 5 years, you can't let him go - We have to be trying to load up on ready to go players and can't afford to lose the current JDG let alone him having the potential to go up a step and be a real difference maker.

I don't think we're likely to be contending and the logical move would be to let him go in order to get an early pick and bank salary cap to load up on players when we're in a better position to become challengers. The same would have applied to Moore though. However where would you draw the line on that. The same applies in terms of trading: Crisp, Adams, Mihocek, Elliott. I don't know if I'd be willing to watch us intentionally embrace a period of being completely crap in order to aim for a really long slow re-build.
I don't think any rational coach or staffer would intentionally embrace a bottoming out. Their careers likely wouldn't survive.

I don't think any rational coach or staffer would intentionally embrace a bottoming out. Their careers likely wouldn't survive.

Yep. Logical wasn't the right term from me.

I don't think it is logical to think that it's Premiership or failure in an 18 team comp and it isn't particularly logical to choose to give your fans 5 years of crap, because that increases the chances a bit of winning a flag during the following 5 years, as that flag still remains unlikely.

Front loading is a good thing.
Yes I know. I hate to say it, but I think Carlton will be Melbourne's biggest rivals over the next 4 years, if both teams can stay healthy. I'm glad that Liam Jones was foolish. I think both clubs would have banked a heap of salary cap when they were really crap and have thus been able to top up some gaps once they had a good group getting ready and if they haven't overspent, should also be able to ride through the cap pressures of being a good team, whilst they're up and about.

Last edited:
One of the more in-depth posts I have ever read. Two blokes who played juniors together and where drafted together where mates when they first came to the club but have since found blokes who they are closer with. You better call the Sun this scoop deserves the back page

If your role is to play attacking side at stoppage and push ahead of the ball after stoppage, what "pushing defensively" are you looking to see?

I'd actually like him to stop playing attacking side at stoppage, as I thought he was showing good signs as a first possession mid.
When the ball doesn't fall into his hands I would like to see him move in a direction that is towards the ball (and usually the opposition goals) so that he can have an impact on where the ball goes next. Are you saying he is being told to push ahead of the stoppage when the ball is about to go, or is going, in the other direction?

My gripe with him is that the efforts he puts in are on his terms. He needs to make his efforts unconditional. I don't think he has the mindset to do so.

He’s the most talented player on our list, which shows the state of our list. He’s talented sure, but he’s no star. And very inconsistent. Would benefit both parties for a change of scenery for him.
He may be coming to the end and not at his best but for mine Pendles is the most talented player on our list. I hope he has a s**t load more boys just as talented.
Look forward to seeing son Jax drafted in 2035

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back