Recommitted Jordan DeGoey [Re-signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

until the firesale in 2024.......

signing a long term contract at the pies is basically guaranteeing a trade in 2 years isnt it?

Not sure Carlton supporters should be so self assured.

Your salary cap must be about to explode. At least we have alleviated our issues.

Bummer, was looking forward to team mates DeGoey and Stringer getting up to 'fun' off field

Nicely played by DeGoey's manager to use the Saints to get top deal from the Pies.

Bullet dodged by StKilda. Could you imagine the media buzzards if DeGoey was to go to a club without the media protection.
Like that time he went to Bali and did nothing and every Tom, Dick and Jane in the media wanted his head for it, with no protection from the AFL or AFLPA

The media obviously aren’t doing a very good job protecting Collingwood if that’s their aim. Quaynor and Ginnivan would have liked some protection

If push comes to shove and you have to trade, do you really think you won't simply because of a loose promise your list manager makes on Trade Radio the week before the trade period?

No offense intended (because he's one of our best players) but he'd become one of if not your best players. You don't get any guarantees with your first pick.

We wouldn’t trade for him. End of story.

It’s irrelevant now anyway if he has agreed to re-sign with Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I barrack for one. Geelong hasn't had a stretch of mediocrity like that since the 70s.
Touché. Probably second behind Collingwood and a very impressive history overall.

Only the two stretches of 7 years without making finals and one 8 year stretch is pretty good, and amongst the best in the history of the game.

Collingwood has done better though, and is the best with one streak of 7 years without finals. Prior to that 5 years is the longest we’ve gone without finals. That’s a sign of a successful club to constantly be around the mark and contending.

Like that time he went to Bali and did nothing and every Tom, Dick and Jane in the media wanted his head for it, with no protection from the AFL or AFLPA

The media obviously aren’t doing a very good job protecting Collingwood if that’s their aim. Quaynor and Ginnivan would have liked some protection

Yes and imagine if they were at StKilda. They'ed have been forced to cull them pretty much. You reckon Tom Browne would let up?

Touché. Probably second behind Collingwood and a very impressive history overall.

Only the two stretches of 7 years without making finals and one 8 year stretch is pretty good, and amongst the best in the history of the game.

Collingwood has done better though, and is the best with one streak of 7 years without finals. Prior to that 5 years is the longest we’ve gone without finals. That’s a sign of a successful club to constantly be around the mark and contending.
Mate I don’t think anyone cares that much about how competitive their club was or wasn’t pre decimal currency.

Mate I don’t think anyone cares that much about how competitive their club was or wasn’t pre decimal currency.
I hear this line alot from people who win a few flags in recent years. But you're right though, lets discredit/dispense of history because we weren't around for it.

Guys like Polly Farmer, Doug Wade, Reg Hickey and their achievements don't matter, and no-one cares about them. Soon enough down the track, no-one will care about GAS's career and achievements because it was in an era before our times etc.

History is there, whether you like it or not, acknowledge it or not, or care or not. It stands and matters in the grand scheme of things. Will be funny when your great grandkids will discredit Geelong's 3 flags between 2007-2011 because they were before the 18 team competition, and it doesn't mean as much because it was before the GCS and GWS!

Give it a spell.

Was never going to leave and the Pies made the right choice with a few adjustments regarding the No dickhead policy!

You can’t let match winners like JDG who want to stay be forced out and well done Pies as you are a much better team with JDG running around then you are without him. 👍

I hear this line alot from people who win a few flags in recent years. But you're right though, lets discredit/dispense of history because we weren't around for it.

Guys like Polly Farmer, Doug Wade, Reg Hickey and their achievements don't matter, and no-one cares about them. Soon enough down the track, no-one will care about GAS's career and achievements because it was in an era before our times etc.

History is there, whether you like it or not, acknowledge it or not, or care or not. It stands and matters in the grand scheme of things. Will be funny when your great grandkids will discredit Geelong's 3 flags between 2007-2011 because they were before the 18 team competition, and it doesn't mean as much because it was before the GCS and GWS!

Give it a spell.
It’s more so that footy is to be experienced more than anything else.

It’s more so that footy is to be experienced more than anything else.

Respect for Geelong’s premiership this year isn’t on the back of their performance in 2022 alone, it’s on the back of their sustained success over 30 years and their ability to overturn the finals record people were making a mockery of over the last 10 years.

The 2007 premiership alone wasn’t spectacular, it was on the back 44 years of BS, and the multiple GF heartbreaks 10-15 years earlier.

History plays a huge part in how we experience current successes and failures.

Collingwood premierships mean a whole lot more because of the amount of GF losses we’ve experienced in the past. I’ve only witnessed 2 flags and 4 GF losses in my lifetime yet premierships are more a relief for me than elation because of Collingwood’s history in GFs from before my time in the ‘70s.

It’s very narrow-minded to neglect or downplay history just because we didn’t witness it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back