News Jordan Galluci invited to train with Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

We had to get guys like Pettard, Edwards, Hammmmaaaaa, Knights, Chaplin etc all in to increase depth and talent. It can't all come from the draft. We got those guys in and went from the bottom to winning games and making finals. Then we started winning them. It's all part of the journey and process. And anyone who can't understand that knows 0 about footy.
Ah yes the depth players.
Petterd was the discard who we got good service from. Arguably the best of that lot.

Edwards was a dead eye dick at the kangas but couldn't hit up a barn wall for us. More useful as a +1 for Dusty at the brownlow.

Hamma was always a spud. Got silver service at carlton and still couldn't deliver s**t. Was never gonna work for us. I particularly loathed that trade.

I reckon Knights could have been a Grigg/Houli for us if his body held up. A real shame.

Chaplin brought the experience that helped Rance become RANCE. Was ok til he wasn't... That Nahas incident... eeyyykk... had to go.

When you think of it Dimma had a lot of s**t to clean out in his first few years. Those players were replaced with more servicable role players .The best bit is that we lost none of our elite talent bar Lids (which.worked in our favour anyway) even through the infancy of GWS and GCS. Remarkable really.

Ah yes the depth players.
Petterd was the discard who we got good service from. Arguably the best of that lot.

Edwards was a dead eye dick at the kangas but couldn't hit up a barn wall for us. More useful as a +1 for Dusty at the brownlow.

Hamma was always a spud. Got silver service at carlton and still couldn't deliver sh*t. Was never gonna work for us. I particularly loathed that trade.

I reckon Knights could have been a Grigg/Houli for us if his body held up. A real shame.

Chaplin brought the experience that helped Rance become RANCE. Was ok til he wasn't... That Nahas incident... eeyyykk... had to go.

When you think of it Dimma had a lot of sh*t to clean out in his first few years. Those players were replaced with more servicable role players .The best bit is that we lost none of our elite talent bar Lids (which.worked in our favour anyway) even through the infancy of GWS and GCS. Remarkable really.

You've totally missed the point of how those bigger bodies came in (along with Greg and Houli) and allowed our guys to grow and develop. Funny how you dismiss those players, yet, under Hardwick (who in 2010 when he took over) he didn't win a game for his first 10 matches, yet by 2013 we were playing finals. But, i'm sure your AFL career stacks up to anyone of those mentioned "who can't play the game".

You've totally missed the point of how those bigger bodies came in (along with Greg and Houli) and allowed our guys to grow and develop. Funny how you dismiss those players, yet, under Hardwick (who in 2010 when he took over) he didn't win a game for his first 10 matches, yet by 2013 we were playing finals. But, i'm sure your AFL career stacks up to anyone of those mentioned "who can't play the game".

I was deadset about to post the exact same thing

Call me pessimistic, but we have yet to turn a discard into even a serviceable player. The good players we got from other clubs were all either wanted, or wanted but were stuck behind other players.
I agree with your assessment, however, there are some very few exceptions such as Lambert who we drafted late, was under Cartons nose. Others wrongly keep throwing up the names of players who we either targeted or took by trading for. I think most posters who have named players here have misinterpreted what you are saying. You need to say players delisted or not required by their club. I also must be pessimistic as I have seen very few examples of players that are not required even turning into serviceable soldiers. Most become list cloggers.

I agree with your assessment, however, there are some very few exceptions such as Lambert who we drafted late, was under Cartons nose. Others wrongly keep throwing up the names of players who we either targeted or took by trading for. I think most posters who have named players here have misinterpreted what you are saying. You need to say players delisted or not required by their club. I also must be pessimistic as I have seen very few examples of players that are not required even turning into serviceable soldiers. Most become list cloggers.
[/QUOTE]
Agree, but I reckon Champlin was quite a good player. At the end of his career when he arrived but I think he is a bit under rated on here I think, maybe because we had to put up with Port supporters constantly hating him.

Agree, but I reckon Champlin was quite a good player. At the end of his career when he arrived but I think he is a bit under rated on here I think, maybe because we had to put up with Port supporters constantly hating him.
[/QUOTE]
Chaplin was massive for us in moulding a young backline. Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Vlastuin, Houli all benefited massively from having Chaplin on the field.

Ouch. Wrong side of the bed today CB?
Can you point out where I said they couldn't play the game.... read my comments on Chaplin and you will see I backed your point re: developing other players. Could go on but won't. Got footy trophies to shine lol.
I hope your cricket sledges are better than this.

Call me pessimistic, but we have yet to turn a discard into even a serviceable player. The good players we got from other clubs were all either wanted, or wanted but were stuck behind other players.

Currently on AFL lists entrenched in best 22 who were basically unwanted by a previous club:

(I define unwanted as being traded for the value of a pick after the 3rd round or delisted. I define best 22 as more likely than not to get selected in the club’s strongest team right now)

Adelaide: Keays, Stengle

Brisbane: Ah Chee, Birchall, Lyons, Robinson

Carlton: Betts, Newman

Collingwood: Cameron, Roughead

Essendon: Cutler, Hind, Stewart, Wright(likely best 22)

Fremantle: Colyer, Hamling(delisted by Cats 2014)

Greater Western: De Boer, Keeffe, Lloyd

Geelong: Menegola

Gold Coast: Nil

Hawthorn: Ceglar, Frost, Hartigan, Phillips

Melbourne: Hunt

North Melbourne: Bonar, Hall

Port Adelaide: McKenzie

Richmond: Houli

St Kilda: Butler, Kent, Membrey, Ryder

Sydney: Clarke

West Coast: Ah Chee

Western Bulldogs: Nil

There are possibly others I have missed but it is a pretty grim list. Players on that list you would genuinely back to be a chance to get a game on merit in a top 4 team, maybe:

Ah Chee, Ah Chee, Lyons, Robinson(just about cooked I think,) Hamling if he returns to his best, De Boer, Menegola, Butler, McKenzie maybe, Houli.

So there might be 6-10 guys previously unwanted by at least one club who would likely be best 22 in a top 4 team right now, and maybe another similar amount who would likely get a game at an AFL average club.

My best 22:

Keeffe McKenzie Ah Chee
Hunt Hamling Houli
Robinson Lyons Menegola
Butler Membrey Ah Chee
Stengle Wright Kent
Ceglar De Boer Clarke

I/C Keays Clarke Bonar Phillips

Although lacking any sort of quality inside mids that team might go ok v a bottom four type team.

Ouch. Wrong side of the bed today CB?
Can you point out where I said they couldn't play the game.... read my comments on Chaplin and you will see I backed your point re: developing other players. Could go on but won't. Got footy trophies to shine lol.
I hope your cricket sledges are better than this.

Shuddup. You got more blocks than a lego set. Oooooh, better check the wallet and see if this bloke has a licence to drive. Come on (insert nickname here), send those bails back to NSW. Any of those any good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nank and caddy were let go because they were behind others so wanted to leave for opportunities and the club needed cap space. Were talking about a player delisted by the Spooner here
You don't want Galluci because he was delisted by the wooden spooners? Seems a bit myopic. Who do you rate? Geelong cos they finished second?
I don't know anything about Galluci except that he is training in Melbourne. Is injury prone etc. It was a surprise to hear that he got invited to train but I'm coming around to the idea of having him on our list for a year. Rookie wages. Tick. RCD, Dow, Ross, Martyn, Cumberland, Ralphsmith, Stack depth

You don't want Galluci because he was delisted by the wooden spooners? Seems a bit myopic. Who do you rate? Geelong cos they finished second?
I don't know anything about Galluci except that he is training in Melbourne. Is injury prone etc. It was a surprise to hear that he got invited to train but I'm coming around to the idea of having him on our list for a year. Rookie wages. Tick. RCD, Dow, Ross, Martyn, Cumberland, Ralphsmith, Stack depth
Yes, I don't want a player who could barely get a game for and was then delisted by the wooden Spooner who lost what, their first 14 games? That's controversial how?

Yes, I don't want a player who could barely get a game for and was then delisted by the wooden Spooner who lost what, their first 14 games? That's controversial how?

Because the alternative is having empty spots on the lists or selecting a kid not deemed good enough for one or more national and rookie drafts

Chaplin was massive for us in moulding a young backline. Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Vlastuin, Houli all benefited massively from having Chaplin on the field.
[/QUOTE]

Never rated him was supposed to play on big forwards never did alot of pointing the finger to at team mates.

Like Grimes, short, Baker, Lambert, Castagna, broad, Pickett?

I think Grimes and George were drafted in 'their' draft pool - after juniors.

But I get your point.

Galluci being picked up after adelaide delisted him. Doesn't look that different to lambert after carlton rejected him?

Post the carlton reserves best and fairest

My initial thoughts were wtf ? Why would we want a player delisted by the spooners who is constantly injured and cant get a game in a crap team.

Then im thinking to my self
1st round draft pick that is excellent athletically and played for the crows where dustin martin would have struggled the last 3 years under their coaching and admin regime. So whats to lose 42nd spot on the list at $80k for 1 year and if he doesnt work out delist.

Looking at the crows supporters and their opinion of him they are not overly happy he was cut and believe he was played out of position as a small foward and his true position is midfield or half back.

Free hit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back