News Jordan Galluci invited to train with Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know nothing about Galluci, but couldn't blame him for underachieving at cluster-* Adelaide.

Keeps me in mind of Dane Swan's tweet when Daisy Thomas got an internal suspension for drinking on the night before a match at Carlton.
Something along the lines of the suspension being a joke, and if he was playing for Carlton he'd be drinking at quarter time just to tolerate it.

Do we want this guy over Green? As a lure for his brother and based on his size/attributes etc.

Now that we have Mansell + Baker + Short + Houli, do we need Galluci?

Do we want this guy over Green? As a lure for his brother and based on his size/attributes etc.

Now that we have Mansell + Baker + Short + Houli, do we need Galluci?

List management by trying to recruit someone because we gave their brother a shot is just bad list management

Pickett was the clear stand out.

If the remaining options are much the same best available for the last stop is sometimes guess work
If there are no standouts then keep the spot open until mid season draft for a chance at another pickett rather than wasting it on a spud just in case his brother decides to leave which is unlikely.

If there are no standouts then keep the spot open until mid season draft for a chance at another pickett rather than wasting it on a spud just in case his brother decides to leave which is unlikely.

Not a bad idea given it was a corona year.

Probably a few of the victorian kids will show heaps

at worst Green will play VFL for us IMO.
AFL article said if Green missed out he was likely to go back to the GWS academy in NSW because he still qualifies as a 19yo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently on AFL lists entrenched in best 22 who were basically unwanted by a previous club:

(I define unwanted as being traded for the value of a pick after the 3rd round or delisted. I define best 22 as more likely than not to get selected in the club’s strongest team right now)

Adelaide: Keays, Stengle

Brisbane: Ah Chee, Birchall, Lyons, Robinson

Carlton: Betts, Newman

Collingwood: Cameron, Roughead

Essendon: Cutler, Hind, Stewart, Wright(likely best 22)

Fremantle: Colyer, Hamling(delisted by Cats 2014)

Greater Western: De Boer, Keeffe, Lloyd

Geelong: Menegola

Gold Coast: Nil

Hawthorn: Ceglar, Frost, Hartigan, Phillips

Melbourne: Hunt

North Melbourne: Bonar, Hall

Port Adelaide: McKenzie

Richmond: Houli

St Kilda: Butler, Kent, Membrey, Ryder

Sydney: Clarke

West Coast: Ah Chee

Western Bulldogs: Nil

There are possibly others I have missed but it is a pretty grim list. Players on that list you would genuinely back to be a chance to get a game on merit in a top 4 team, maybe:

Ah Chee, Ah Chee, Lyons, Robinson(just about cooked I think,) Hamling if he returns to his best, De Boer, Menegola, Butler, McKenzie maybe, Houli.

So there might be 6-10 guys previously unwanted by at least one club who would likely be best 22 in a top 4 team right now, and maybe another similar amount who would likely get a game at an AFL average club.

My best 22:

Keeffe McKenzie Ah Chee
Hunt Hamling Houli
Robinson Lyons Menegola
Butler Membrey Ah Chee
Stengle Wright Kent
Ceglar De Boer Clarke

I/C Keays Clarke Bonar Phillips

Although lacking any sort of quality inside mids that team might go ok v a bottom four type team.
That team would be lucky to win a game.

It's the last spot on the list so it ultimately doesn't greatly matter.

Vfl listed player would work too
It does matter. We can use it mid season when it's most likely some eligible TAC kids are really starting to show some talent. A shame if we can't take one for we wasted it on Green if he's not up to the standard.

AFL article said if Green missed out he was likely to go back to the GWS academy in NSW because he still qualifies as a 19yo.
Possibly,

But I wouldn't have put it past us to offer the VFL spot, use Aarts as an example of being in our VFL program and being promoted. The family are obviously big Tigers, so unless living in Melb (work/homing etc) is a big problem, I see more positives him staying in our VFL program than back tot he GWS program given they passed on him already.

It does matter. We can use it mid season when it's most likely some eligible TAC kids are really starting to show some talent. A shame if we can't take one for we wasted it on Green if he's not up to the standard.
TAC kids will improve over the year but any player training with us now will also improve. And maybe improve more because they are in an AFL club environment. Richmond in fact. I'd rather pick 2 players now. Green sounds like a project but has had exposure to senior football. Galluci has more experience. I'd go with him.

My understanding was that we had 2 spots + one for the mid-season draft?

I think it's 2 spots now, but could easily move Soldo onto the LTIL for another one at the mid-season draft
What are the dates to do with players and LTI list? Talk from the club on Soldo is focus on returning this season.
Soldo being injured so late last season does make return problematic. Any delays in his recovery do push the return date middle of finals.
There was only a couple of players from that Pickett draft that got games. Snelling and Marlion.
After COVID2020 season though, there'll be more players that didn't get a game at all. So there might more players nominate for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back