Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

The way the media carries on about our "salary cap squeeze" it's a wonder we can afford to field a team at all! We must be the only ones dealing with a salary cap.

I love how the Crows can just say pick 4 off the table and so is a future first. In other words, we don't feel like giving up anything of value for a guy who is actually pretty valuable. Hope we don't just cop it but we probably will.

What choice do we have really?

If they don't feel like giving us anything at all it's almost a certainty he ends up there via the PSD. If I was in their position I wouldn't be giving up much more than pick 23.

It sucks but that's the situation Jordan has decided to put us in.

Yep,, if Port asked him to come. Then they should be willing to give the Swans what we want.. otherwise they don't get Dawson.

So,,, If its of Dawson making, then he might have to compromise. If its of Ports making, then Port has to give what it takes.
and Swans need to be able to use the PSD as a tool to not get ripped off

He doesn't want to go to Port. He wants Adelaide. but he may get Port no matter what he wants

He doesn't want to go to Port. He wants Adelaide. but he may get Port no matter what he wants
Players have to agree to be traded. So if he doesn't want to be at Port, he won't be.

The way the media carries on about our "salary cap squeeze" it's a wonder we can afford to field a team at all! We must be the only ones dealing with a salary cap.

I love how the Crows can just say pick 4 off the table and so is a future first. In other words, we don't feel like giving up anything of value for a guy who is actually pretty valuable. Hope we don't just cop it but we probably will.

Yeah I don't get that. he is the best kick in the AFL. Stats prove that but you only have to look at vision to see. He is one of the safest marks in the AFL. He hurts sides at vital times. I'm really pissed off to lose this guy. Yet again the go home factor. Usually it is the Vics but this time an SA boy. What's there to go back to? Family I understand. Mine are there too. But the rest of it. Sleepy hollow is the murder capital of Aus. It has more rumours the USA Confidential or News of the world and about the same content. Yes there are plenty of green spaces. Plenty of beaches. It is a pretty city. But it is downright boring and this comes from someone over 60. The people are, well, strange. I think it has to do with this fixation on being the first 'free' colony. In other words no convicts. But they actually lie because NSW sent them convicts as free labour to build things like the first major building in the state, Adelaide Gaol. Apparently crime was so bad it was decided that the first large public edifice should be a gaol.

Yes I'm bitter and twisted at losing this bloke. Especially to a club built on corporate grounds alone that cares little or nothing for anyone and only does anything for the community for photo opportunities. I mean their two time Norm Smith Medalist, Andrew McLeod, will not have anything to do with the club or most of his teammates. That says it all. He refuses to even enter the place. So Jordan, be careful what you wish for.

He's only 24 .
How "long term" can his long term partner be?
Was he dating her in Primary school or something?

Who has a long term partner at 24?
It's weird.

I agree with Dubai Quacker .
"Family reasons" usually means $$$$.
Which is fine.

But why do fans need to feel players are all such wholesome family people?
They aren't running for parliament.
It's weird.

For crying out loud. He's from Adelaide. They have long term partners at 16. I used to see all the pregnant girls and those pushing prams who were at most 16. I counted 20 on the bus one day going home to Morphettville. It's worse in Norlunga Centre and surrounding suburbs. They were all going home to Housing Trust houses and mummy & daddy would have arranged the pregnancy very nicely to get government assistance.

Yeah I mean I get why some are disappointed in the way he spoke and then the decision to leave. I hung my hat on that as well, was all preparing to lose George, then Dawson went bang. A few posts back I suggested maybe he wasn't thinking of leaving 2 months ago ('Swans fans shouldn't worry') and more recently might have felt like he should talk the club up for the future, as a way of saying thanks (or he felt bad). Maybe naive, poor PR, but I don't expect him to be some communications god.

Look like we are losing both. I am baffled that the club does not value George at all. This is the second time we have put him up for trade and both times the same club are interested. He was runner up in the bob Skilton Medal only a few years ago.

What makes you think the people running for parliament are such wholesome family people???

LOL

Yeah just look at the current lot. Then there are those in the not too distant past. Only one party has never had a member charged with a crime. The Greens. That is just plain fact, it is not a political statement. The names Lange, Askin, Wran, Bolte (big groper), Peterson, Gair, Charles & Richard Court, Playford, Olson, Berejiklian. They are only the premiers. Add all the ones who have been charged with crimes. Obeid, Thomson, McDonald, Theophanus, Tuckey (assaulted an Indigenous man), Frank Ford, Packard, Jackson, Austen, Harvey, Lane, Muntz, Rose, Nuttall, Driscoll, Pisasale, Kearney, Burke, O'Connor, Parker, Smith and Burkett.

We do not have a great record on the corruption stakes in politics. So maybe use a different analogy to describe virtuosity. Definitely not religion either lol. Maybe use Plato? His writings on Socrates are wonderful and The Virtuous Man is a concept that came from them.

For crying out loud. He's from Adelaide. They have long term partners at 16. I used to see all the pregnant girls and those pushing prams who were at most 16. I counted 20 on the bus one day going home to Morphettville. It's worse in Norlunga Centre and surrounding suburbs. They were all going home to Housing Trust houses and mummy & daddy would have arranged the pregnancy very nicely to get government assistance.
Are you alright today mate? I get being annoyed, but what's with the SA hate? And your classism, prejudiced ranting is pretty poor. Bigger cities just have more of the same sorts of stuff going on than Adelaide, both in things to do and perceived problems. I mean I guess we don't have an aquarium?

I've spent time in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, travelled to 20 odd countries (want to see a whole lot more), but I'm happy to live in Adelaide/SA the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Anyway- back to trading for Dawson.

what are people’s thoughts of a 3 way trade with dogs and crows?

Crow: Give up 23 + 37 and get Dawson
Dogs: Give up 17 get 31, 32 +37 (+600 points)
Swans: Give up Dawson 31, 32 get 17 + 23

this assumes we get 32 for Hewitt.

go into draft with 12, 17 and 23

At the end of the day he'd prefer to be back home in Adelaide. He'd be highly sought after by both clubs, so is in a real position of power.

It seems like go-home factor usually arises when the partner is also from their home state. So the fact that he had a partner who came with him to Sydney means the go home factor is doubled, because if either of them get homesick they bounce off eachother. It probably went along the lines of, sure I'll come with you to Sydney, we'll be together. Then it's like, I really miss my friends and family, we're looking to start a family soon, so it would be great to go home for the extra support. And gee, you're playing great footy and the Adelaide clubs are calling your manager, this would be the perfect opportunity to make a little more money, plus be home with friends and family.

Perhaps something the swans need to consider when drafting. Because the best chance of having a player stay in Sydney Is if they're single and meet a girl from Sydney, that way they have family in both states.

Like Luke Parker, Joey, Lance's wife, Jesinta, is from Gold coast and has a media career in Sydney. i bet plenty of others too

Players have to agree to be traded. So if he doesn't want to be at Port, he won't be.

If Port offer us a significantly better deal than the Cows then JD should be told to take it or risk going to Norf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see he was skipping around on a beach down south of adelaide...with pooch and GF.
Via Insta.

Oh well.

Anyway- back to trading for Dawson.

what are people’s thoughts of a 3 way trade with dogs and crows?

Crow: Give up 23 + 37 and get Dawson
Dogs: Give up 17 get 31, 32 +37 (+600 points)
Swans: Give up Dawson 31, 32 get 17 + 23

this assumes we get 32 for Hewitt.

go into draft with 12, 17 and 23

Dogs make out like bandits from this. Would prefer if we end up with 37 instead of the Dogs, who would still get a 150ish point increase for free.

Dogs make out like bandits from this. Would prefer if we end up with 37 instead of the Dogs, who would still get a 150ish point increase for free.
My read is that they will get offers from everywhere for their pick (especially from Geelong and Tigers). Wont get pick cheap....

Lol wont happen you have no leverage in this trade if you ask for to much it will go to psd front loaded contract so it cant be matched
Love how you know the details of not only the Crows salary cap but also that of North to be able to predict there exists the space for an unplanned front loaded contract.

Love how you know the details of not only the Crows salary cap but also that of North to be able to predict there exists the space for an unplanned front loaded contract.
We shall see , just a guess they would have 1.8 mill in cap space next year

We shall see , just a guess they would have 1.8 mill in cap space next year
If the Crows have freed up 1.8mil in cap space for next year, but without a plan to spend a fair chunk of it already on existing players, draftees - oh boy, enjoy that investigation when you plunge through the cap tolerance floor. Dawson's decision came after the Talia, Lynch delistings. Maybe you can make the argument that Kelly leaving and some extra money, can now be used on Dawson, but 1.8mil..., do you even know how the cap works?

Last edited:
If the Crows have freed up 1.8mil in cap space for next year, but without a plan to spend a fair chunk of it already on existing players, draftees - oh boy, enjoy that investigation when you plunge through the cap tolerance floor. Dawson's decision came after the Talia, Lynch delistings. Maybe you can make the argument that Kelly leaving and some extra money, can now be used on Dawson, but 1.8mil..., do you even know how the cap works?
Mckay , crouch reduced wage ,kelly talia , lynch

Mckay , crouch reduced wage ,kelly talia , lynch
I'm not debating whether it's possible. You do realise that clubs have a cap floor right, that they have to abide by? Because a bunch of those were decisions made before Dawson made his decision, the Crows would have had to get back up to the cap floor by having existing deals cost more next year, renegotiate and enhance others, and allow a small amount for draftees. Unless the Crows were banking on some other high-priced recruit making the difference, and that fell through, they could not simply have (in their right minds) $1.8m free to spend next year just in case someone like Dawson came along.

I guess maybe they could just not renew some remaining uncontracted players (except they only have 1 or 2 not noteworthy ones) or had a backup plan of some significant signings of delisted players (always a great plan). But still, that's a big hole.

Last edited:
I'm not debating whether it's possible. You do realise that clubs have a cap floor right, that they have to abide by? Because a bunch of those were decisions made before Dawson made his decision, the Crows would have had to get back up to the cap floor by having existing deals cost more next year, renegotiate and enhance others, and allow a small amount for draftees. Unless the Crows were banking on some other high-priced recruit making the difference, and that fell through, they could not simply have (in their right minds) $1.8m free to spend next year just in case someone like Dawson came along.

I guess maybe they could just not renew some remaining uncontracted players (except they only have 1 or 2 not noteworthy ones) or had a backup plan of some significant signings of delisted players (always a great plan). But still, that's a big hole.
Not to mention there is downwards pressure on team's caps at the moment, not upwards pressure. With the decreases in cap space over the last two years, it's hard to imagine that any team will even be close to the cap floor, let alone struggling to raise themselves above it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back