Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to people under 60.

Eat your coco pops. No more play station for you ya scamp.

14 is the most treasured jumper for a reason. Kel added lustre to the number as Mills is now doing. I reckon Kelly would be appalled at the idea of him owning the 14.

I don't hate Adelaide anymore than I hate the skin that forms on a cup of hot milk. Hanging out on another teams' board just in case you need to defend the honour of your little town is hardly healthy behaviour.

Get out and see the world, live somewhere else for a few years and you'll see Adelaide the way I do. I thought it was dull even when I lived in sleepy Slowbart. Did you marry the girl who sat next to you in 8th grade, or your cousin ? Do you live next door to your parents, or do you still live at home ? Get some perspective.
Respectfully bungee, I don't think we need to attack another posters personal life. I know Soggy2112 from another part of the forum and he's a good poster. All the posts of his I have read here have been respectful and we don't need to go personal.

Respectfully bungee, I don't think we need to attack another posters personal life. I know Soggy2112 from another part of the forum and he's a good poster. All the posts of his I have read here have been respectful and we don't need to go personal.

Agree with this.

It seems pretty clear from Gardiner’s and Dawson’s respective comments that Dawson was not fully transparent with the Swans. We all have foibles and so we shouldn’t rush to judge as a person as Bloods86 rightly points out -
understanding and compassion are good things.

However, we are not here to discuss Dawson as a human being, we are here to discuss him as a footballer. And as a footballer, he f’d over my club. He knew we were planning long term around him, that we had a tight salary cap and that some of his teammates’ futures were on a razor’s edge. Regardless, he kept some of his concerns to himself and did what he thought was right for him and his family - good on him.

This doesn’t mean we have to like him as a footballer. And I suspect he has lost some respect from his ex-teammates. If I was in Dawson’s shoes I could both think I had done the right thing and expect a well-deserved hostile reception when I next played the Swans. And I suspect we will give that to him - I would be shocked if a Mills, Parker, Buddy, etc would pass up an opportunity to make him earn it, or get in his face if he makes an error.

and maybe papley might have a word

Young Jordan is going to have to get used to being hounded by media. It's already started.
We should have known judging by the fruitloop Crow supporters on the main board.

You can see why the Swans & fans would be disappointed after some of those comments by Jordan earlier in the year.
We move on. Good luck to the boy I guess. We'll still be contending.

Young Jordan is going to have to get used to being hounded by media. It's already started.
We should have known judging by the fruitloop Crow supporters on the main board.

You can see why the Swans & fans would be disappointed after some of those comments by Jordan earlier in the year.
We move on. Good luck to the boy I guess. We'll still be contending.

.. and this is why you are a beloved poster on this Board..

He's a very talented footballer and you can't take that away from him but our gameplan gave him space and time to work his left boot magic and I don't think the Crows gameplan will suit him nearly as well. It will be interesting to see how they use him. I hope for his sake he's made the right choice.

He's a very talented footballer and you can't take that away from him but our gameplan gave him space and time to work his left boot magic and I don't think the Crows gameplan will suit him nearly as well. It will be interesting to see how they use him. I hope for his sake he's made the right choice.

David King said the same.

Yeah. I won't say a bad word about him personally. He put in his all this year, especially towards the latter part where it sounds like he was weighing up a pretty difficult decision for him. Ideally for the club the timings would have worked out differently, just don't think he could have done that much different, where we'd end up with a better outcome.

That said, Crows will hopefully continue being a rabble, and he'll probably find it a lot more difficult. There's probably 3 positions he could fill and become their best option in those immediately (HB, Wing, HF), but I reckon the wing will be the starting point.

Yeah. I won't say a bad word about him personally. He put in his all this year, especially towards the latter part where it sounds like he was weighing up a pretty difficult decision for him. Ideally for the club the timings would have worked out differently, just don't think he could have done that much different, where we'd end up with a better outcome.

That said, Crows will hopefully continue being a rabble, and he'll probably find it a lot more difficult. There's probably 3 positions he could fill and become their best option in those immediately (HB, Wing, HF), but I reckon the wing will be the starting point.
Found this interesting take in the SMH.

"The Swans made it clear they were unhappy to lose Dawson to Adelaide after he finished third in their best and fairest, but the door opened for him to return to his home state when they took so long to sign their players near the end of the year. In the finish, a future first-round pick was the best they could do in return."

Seems to be laying the blame at the club's feet. Interesting take. I don't buy that based on other reports but there you go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The Swans made it clear they were unhappy to lose Dawson to Adelaide after he finished third in their best and fairest, but the door opened for him to return to his home state when they took so long to sign their players near the end of the year. In the finish, a future first-round pick was the best they could do in return."

Seems to be laying the blame at the club's feet. Interesting take. I don't buy that based on other reports but there you go.
From other reports and his own words, it sounds like he was weighing up the decision throughout the year, but it got much more pro-SA as the year went on, which fits with him saying we shouldn't worry in July but having changed his mind by September. I don't know if the club had as much to do with delaying re-signings as that suggests. I'm sure they'd have locked him away earlier, but maybe they just assumed he'd re-sign and didn't hurry it along. That said, at whatever point he was leaning towards or had decided on SA, if it was still during the season, I can absolutely understand why he didn't bring it up. That sort of thing can derail momentum, put undue tension on his place in the team, and if the media picks up on it, it's a distraction for everyone trying to achieve something.

If there wasn't a contract on the table for him midway through the year this comment would make sense. Instead it makes the journalist look like a clueless muppet.

If there wasn't a contract on the table for him midway through the year this comment would make sense. Instead it makes the journalist look like a clueless muppet.
Problem is that these things become accepted 'wisdom'.

See the Swans were somehow to blame for the Tippett fiasco.

Or last couple of days the story that Jordan Clark hung up on Stephen Wells.
Both parties deny it and not just in "well it got a bit heated", but as in it never happened and the call was respectful and civil.

Yet no doubt the popular narrative doesn't suit that and of course it would require a journo to actually admit it was all bulldust.

Accountability in journalism.....I'd like to see that.

The fact that swans fans now measure trades in "birds" should give you some indication as to whos the most beloved #14 of all time.

View attachment 1261165

And if that doesn't well and truly solve the argument, perhaps this will...

View attachment 1261167

Nuff said...
There was a no.14 in the 30s & 40s for South by the name Reg Richards. If that name doesn't automatically catapult him right up there, I don't know what would.

Eat your coco pops. No more play station for you ya scamp.

14 is the most treasured jumper for a reason. Kel added lustre to the number as Mills is now doing. I reckon Kelly would be appalled at the idea of him owning the 14.

Yeah nah.

Why would 14 make someone think of a player they never watched? It’s all perspective and this is not disrespectful to Skilton at all. We all know he’s an absolute legend but for me number 14 makes me think it Paul Kelly first and foremost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clubs have to make plans & those plans rely on a certain degree of transparency.

By misleading the Swans, Dawson did the club a great disservice.

His former teammates will be angry, no matter how much Dawson would like to pretend otherwise.

The Swans Crows match in 2022 is going to be intriguing.

Yep, Sheather to debut, as a tagger... hello rib cage

If the Swans moderators don't think it's appropriate please delete.

An article in today's Adelaide Advertiser might interest Swans supporters, it's paywalled unless you have a Newscorp subscription.

I think this is the kicker in the article for Swans people.

And Doughty had robust discussions with Adelaide that walking him to the pre-season draft was not an option.

Adelaide Crows off-season: The inside story of Jordan Dawson’s move back to South Australia
The pull of being back home close to family was too strong for Jordan Dawson. Go inside his difficult decision, contract negotiations and how the deal was done.

The 24-year-old’s stint back in SA’s southeast last month helps make his decision clear.
“In his heart, what they wanted to do was be home and around family,” Dawson’s manager Michael Doughty tells News Corp.
“Once he got home, I think he realised that – how important that is to him.”
Yet with six weeks remaining in the season, Doughty was working on a deal with Sydney for Dawson to re-sign, only for it to fall through.
They put a two-year contract to the club, the Swans knocked it back and tabled a counteroffer, then Covid ravaged throughout Sydney.
It was a sliding-doors moment.
Dawson put off talks until the end of the season and the Swans finished the campaign playing on the road.
Sydney proposed a 5 year deal post season which he mulled over while in quarantine.
Dawson found it difficult to choose whether to stay or go, given his friendships at the Swans after 64 games in six seasons.

On September 10, he asked for a homecoming trade while still housebound.
A week later, Dawson toured both Port Adelaide and the Crows as both clubs prepared for talks with Sydney.
Dawson felt a better connection with Adelaide, including coach Matthew Nicks, who understood the Sydney lifestyle and had been a 175-game player at the Swans.
Adelaide’s pitch included trying to build a squad and Dawson’s role in it.
Money was not decisive – the Power’s offer was considered pretty similar to the Crows and Sydney’s.
Dawson returned to his hometown that weekend so he could watch Milly’s brother play for Robe in the Mid South East league’s grand final and discuss his options with his family.
After calling Doughty from Robe to say he was picking the Crows, the manager told him to tell the clubs.
So Dawson broke the news to Power coach Ken Hinkley, who was said to be really good about it, both understanding and disappointed.
Unsurprisingly, Nicks was rapt.
Doughty said it was a tough decision, both clubs made strong cases and money was not a factor.
Ultimately, it was up to Dawson, who went with his heart.
Adelaide was tracking him four years ago when he was starring in the NEAFL.
That season he averaged 28 disposals, five clearances and 136 Champion Data ranking points, as well as booted 38 goals.
The Crows and Dawson’s management spoke at the end of 2020 but the feeling was he would stay with the Swans.
Even in July, Dawson told SEN that Sydney fans did not need to be nervous about him coming out of contract.
Swans coach John Longmire remained in contact with Dawson during the process, asking if he would have any interest in coming back if a trade was not agreed.
But Dawson was committed to getting to the Crows.
On September 10, he asked for a homecoming trade while still housebound.
A week later, Dawson toured both Port Adelaide and the Crows as both clubs prepared for talks with Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back