Rumour Jordan Lewis: Clarko's fumbling prompted Franklin to leave for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1616646638833.png

Lance Franklin decided to leave Hawthorn after coach Alastair Clarkson flew to America during the off-season holiday period to question the superstar forward about his future, according to premiership teammate Jordan Lewis

Lewis described Clarkson’s visit as “poor timing” and suggested it had intruded on Franklin’s “space”.

“He didn’t have too many thoughts (about leaving) before that meeting, I can certainly say that,” Lewis said on SEN.

“Then when Clarko decided to go over and basically say ‘Where do you sit in your career, where do you sit at Hawthorn? We want you to sign’, all that type of stuff, I don’t think that sat well with him.”

Asked if Franklin considered Clarkson’s US visit an invasion of privacy, Lewis said “yeah, I think so”.

“I think when you’re on your off-season holiday, you are over in the States or Europe or wherever it might be, you are entitled to some space or some time to think about the season that had just been, the season ahead,” Lewis said.

“I thought that was probably poor timing.”

Maybe. I doubt it but you would expect someone wouldn't be willing to be quoted unless they thought it was pretty solid.

I strongly believe Buddy is happier in Sydney than Melbourne purely for privacy. He doesn't seek the limelight and he would have gotten hounded any time he left the house in Melbourne, people coming up to him, asking for selfies, or autographs. For someone like Buddy that would be very draining.

Sure in Sydney he gets recognised, but not to the same extent, and I am sure he is able to just live his life more in Sydney without being hounded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko was always going to Vegas regardless and got in touch with Franklin so he could give him Chris Brown’s number

It probably was a factor in his decision but this reads as pretty sensationalist. I'm sure he wouldn't have suddenly gone from "I'm staying" to "Get me out of here" just because of that
Why not? If money is equal, having your boss impede on your holidays to hassle you about signing a contract is a pretty major turn off.

I strongly believe Buddy is happier in Sydney than Melbourne purely for privacy. He doesn't seek the limelight and he would have gotten hounded any time he left the house in Melbourne, people coming up to him, asking for selfies, or autographs. For someone like Buddy that would be very draining.

Sure in Sydney he gets recognised, but not to the same extent, and I am sure he is able to just live his life more in Sydney without being hounded.

Haven't seen any footy player get papped taking out the bins down here......

Why not? If money is equal, having your boss impede on your holidays to hassle you about signing a contract is a pretty major turn off.
I agree that it would be a major turn off but I highly, highly doubt the money was equal. He was a restricted free agent so if Hawthorn could have afforded his contract, they would have matched and received better compensation than Pick 18. Very few clubs would have been able to offer Franklin similar to what Sydney did

Franklin wasn't with Jacinta at the time of the move was he?

Sure was, saw her at a Hawthorn game in Melbourne.

She was sitting with Franklin's parents, everyone close by was having a look at the 'new girlfriend'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back