News Jordan Lewis retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough as nails. Could dish it out, but definitely took hits in his stride.
Will end his career as a best and fairest winner in a premiership year in one of the greatest teams of all time while some of his peers are considered as drug cheats, floppers who consistently sooked towards umpires and totally irrelevant north melbourne players.

Absolute gun - you don't win a b & f in a premiership year if you are a dud.

Really like his media work as well, really honest. Think he will stay in football

There’s no doubt he was a great midfielder with genuine talent and courage.

But he’s just one of those guys that unfortunately will be remembered more for being a dirty little sniping cheap shot rat.

Hawk fans have every right to look back fondly on his career.

Everyone else couldn’t give a #%}% and will be forgotten quickly.

yet you probably celebrate someone like Michael Longs career....

Let's face it, he is an absolute campaigner.

Hated him at the Hawks but was very happy to see the campaigner come to us. Unsociable footy and forever pushing the laws of the game to the limits, which was what made him so good. He was very important in the Hawks' premierships and hopefully some of that will eventually sink in to his current teammates

Has done enough to deserve a Hall of Fame spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I rated him below so many of his peers. They don't make 90's kids the same. He would be invaluable in a modern team in his prime. Had the hunger the will for success. These days players get paid to high and never want anything and it's all about them justifying their horrible skill errors with "defensive pressure"

No doubting he achieved much more (ie premierships) and was a damn good footballer but geez, Deledio and Griffen in their prime versus Lewis? I think both were better players than Lewis, personally.
You think those guys are even capable of winning a premiership b&f over the likes of Mitchell? I don't. Classy on their day but ultimately vanilla footballers.

Regardless never expected Lewis to get his dues, sacrificed his game for half his career and his rewards came in medals.

Gun player. Underrated outside of Hawthorn due to some of his more celebrated teammates, but not inside the four walls at HFC. Absolutely indispensable part of our reign. As tough as anyone and with silky skills to complement that.

Photo doesn't do it justice

For those wondering, yes, I tapped that HFC chick trainer at 29 seconds.

You think those guys are even capable of winning a premiership b&f over the likes of Mitchell? I don't. Classy on their day but ultimately vanilla footballers.

Regardless never expected Lewis to get his dues, sacrificed his game for half his career and his rewards came in medals.
I see your point and it’s not a slight on Lewis as a bloody good player that them two are more talented, however it’s not really that valid given neither Deledio or Griffen played in a premiership, or even a grand final.

Griffen was a B&F winner in 2010 and was probably our best finals player collectively over them years we contended. We win another two games that year and he’s in that b&f in a premiership club.

B&F in a premiership year is huge, obviously but it is a flawed recipe when comparing it to players that have never been in that scenario as well.

I suspect this is just a poor troll but...

318 games,
4 premierships
Best and fairest winner (in a flag year)
All Australian
Big game performer

Closest Geelong comparison in terms of achievements is probably Jimmy Bartel. Would he deserve a thread?
Yeah cos Lewis has a Brownlow, Norm Smith and multiple all australians. Totally comparable. The fact he only has one all australian despite being in the best side for many years tells you exactly what level lewis is at. Not main board worthy. Will be remembered as a great player for your club. Not a great player of the competition. At best he is at Joel Corey level although I would prefer Corey (double the all australians and double the best and fairests). Like joel Corey he will quickly be forgotton by neutrals.

Def main board worthy. 300+ games and 4 premierships. How many people have done that in 122 years? My club has been around for 32 of those years and has no 300 game players and no one with more than 2 premierships.

Lewis won't be 'forgotten like Joel Corey' because he has a media profile. He is already on Fox Footy regularly and will be next year once he stops playing. Not sure I've ever heard Joel Corey speak.

Anyway, good player who was a key part of a great side. Sort of guy that might get an AA or two at his peak (which he did, 1 AA and another squad of 40 selection) but if he never made an AA side it wouldn't be a great tragedy of footy. If you did a top 50 of players from 2005-2019 he wouldn't be in it, but he'd have plenty of good company.

He was a solid B+ player who had a few A grade performances in big games and was part of a great team.

I don't think he's in anyones team of the decade but he was a more than solid soldier for his team.

Unfortunately he was a bit of a thug

Yeah cos Lewis has a Brownlow, Norm Smith and multiple all australians. Totally comparable. The fact he only has one all australian despite being in the best side for many years tells you exactly what level lewis is at. Not main board worthy. Will be remembered as a great player for your club. Not a great player of the competition. At best he is at Joel Corey level although I would prefer Corey (double the all australians and double the best and fairests). Like joel Corey he will quickly be forgotton by neutrals.

No perfect comparison but Bartel is the closest I could make. Both players were best as midfielders and would have enhanced their reputations significantly if allowed to play there full time. Both teams were great with strong inside mids and so Lewis and Bartel were deployed elsewhere for the benefit of the team. When given full time duties, both players were dominant (Bartel, '07, '08), Lewis ('14), etc. They are both 300 game players.

Both were also renowned big game players, often saving their most impactful performances for finals.

Yes, Bartel has a Norm but in all honesty, Lewis' performance in the '14 GF was at least equal to that of Bartel in '11. Lewis had 21 kicks, 37 disposals, 7 clearances (and 8 hit outs :)) in a dominant midfield display that would have been enough to win the Norm Smith in basically any other year.

There is also not a huge gap in career Brownlow votes between the two.

By contrast, a Best and Fairest in a premiership year is an award I (and many others) rate as high or higher than the ones mentioned in favour of Bartel.

I agree that Bartel may be ahead but it is slight and I wanted to use a Geelong comparison to address what appeared to be some underrating of Lewis in your initial assessment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back