Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
and cowan had the same excuses for years
on exposed form murdoch is a better player
On exposed form, yes - but you'd expect that from a 26 year old against a 21 year old with thirty-odd games under his belt.

For what it's worth, Gregson doesn't scream "potential" for mine, but of course a young player will have far more goodwill than a senior player.

He has elite pace, in the last 12 months particularly has tackled like a demon, is 6ft3 and has a raking left foot. He has unique height/pace combination. Unfortunately, while his best is at times very good; his way ref is horrible and there is no consistency there.
Exactly.But absolutely no reason for him to receive the flak he does here on BF mercilessly.

Last edited:
100 games is no easy feat.

Congrats to him on grinding it out. He's OOC at seasons end. Is there another deal for him? Who knows.

He brings speed, size and some skills to the game and at his best can be effective. And a hard tackler too.

Sadly, the gaps between seeing aforementioned talents are cavernous. Mitch Duncan - IMO an overall better player - had consistency issues but overcame them to become even better.

Not every player will A grade - I get that - but I cant help feeling Murda could have shortened the gaps between the peaks and moved higher on the list.

Perhaps he will.

GO Catters
He goes one ahead of Mark Blake. Who would have thought???

hokee

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
His kicking for goals has gone backward somehow. I recall he was pretty accurate in front of goals but now he’s only a 50/50 at best. He should have improved his kicking on his right foot all these years. Is it laziness or he just has limited skills? Still I think he’s a goood back up player who gives 100% effort.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
His kicking for goals has gone backward somehow. I recall he was pretty accurate in front of goals but now he’s only a 50/50 at best. He should have improved his kicking on his right foot all these years. Is it laziness or he just has limited skills? Still I think he’s a goood back up player who gives 100% effort.

Maybe because he hasn't been playing forward as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barkley I remember, had some skills but never really delivered on the promise. The other guys-no recollection.
The only reason I picked Jeffreys is he hung around for a while and,whilst in and out of the team, nearly got to 100 games over a longish time span. Probably an insult to his body of work comparing him to Murdoch.
I followed Jeffrey's career. He suffered some horrendous leg injuries and career cut short by that. He wasn't in and out by form- coach Goggin loved him. He was a high flying tallish lean defender with some occasional speccies.
Murdoch to me should be the classic striding left foot winger.
I like him a lot, don't really buy into the flak he gets. We've been spoiled by players from those teams 07-11, and Murdoch is still with us. Hope he gets to 200.

ShaunWDT

Premiership Player
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Murdoch copped a fair bit of unnecessary s**t for last weekend IMO, he played up forward in a side that got belted for 3 1/2 quarters and laid 6 tackles which was the equal highest for the side, can't drop one of few players that actually applys defensive pressure.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
I followed Jeffrey's career. He suffered some horrendous leg injuries and career cut short by that. He wasn't in and out by form- coach Goggin loved him. He was a high flying tallish lean defender with some occasional speccies.
Murdoch to me should be the classic striding left foot winger.
I like him a lot, don't really buy into the flak he gets. We've been spoiled by players from those teams 07-11, and Murdoch is still with us. Hope he gets to 200.
Interesting, I only remember him as an in and out of the side player but the injuries I did not realize.. I was only a young tacker in those days so the various happenings behind the scenes were not apparent , only the final line ups gleaned from the paper or whatnot. The forensic media coverage was still yet to come, especially if you existed outside the Melbourne bubble.
With regards to Murdoch, if he stays at the same level and gets to 200 games then we are destined to be also rans for many more years.
I see him as a sort of 'reverse canary in the coal mine'.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Think he has worked to improve his contribution to the team and has had some success at that. Good on him for trying hard in what is a bit of a middling era for our club. Can’t be easy. If he was in our 2007 team, the things he offers would be more useful and so he’d probably look a fair bit better.
Regardless, congrats to him.

Last edited:

Sandyman

Draftee
Aug 15, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
s**t thread mainly s**t punters here, posted for negetivity. He'll have 100 more games than most of you critics and at least five Brownlow votes as well.
Watching him for a long time. Can’t fault his effort and hard work he has put in over 7 years. The fact that he’s durable has got him over the line where other perhaps “more talented” have failed. He has given everything he’s got and definitely doesn’t deserve the vitriol and personal attacks the so called “experts” dish out on this site.
The fact remains he has improved his tackling intensity and he works his arse off to run back to fill holes in the backline and sticks to the team structures to a ‘t’. Perhaps the reason he makes mistakes is that he has lost confidence over the years and that is because he always on the fringe and if we have a loss, he is always the first to go. The damage this has done to his confidence must be enormous and it’s obvious that he is fearful of making mistakes and overthinks everything. This thinking is not good for any player and I suspect this is the reason for Parsons’s errors as well.
So congratulations to him, these 7 years have not been easy, he has really battled to get there and I hope the club give him credit for this. Certainly it would kill him to read some of the crap on here from certain ‘Murdoch’ haters but I’m positive he wouldn’t. I even read on Facebook when someone wanted him to kill himself and it’s just not on. His friends and family read that stuff and the people who write it should be ashamed to be supporters of the club. Please think about that when you post.
100 games
5 Brownlow votes
1 goal of the year nomination.
What are YOUR achievements? And moreover, did you ever make mistakes along the way?
Enjoy the day Jordan, hope you have a good one!

Watching him for a long time. Can’t fault his effort and hard work he has put in over 7 years. The fact that he’s durable has got him over the line where other perhaps “more talented” have failed. He has given everything he’s got and definitely doesn’t deserve the vitriol and personal attacks the so called “experts” dish out on this site.
The fact remains he has improved his tackling intensity and he works his arse off to run back to fill holes in the backline and sticks to the team structures to a ‘t’. Perhaps the reason he makes mistakes is that he has lost confidence over the years and that is because he always on the fringe and if we have a loss, he is always the first to go. The damage this has done to his confidence must be enormous and it’s obvious that he is fearful of making mistakes and overthinks everything. This thinking is not good for any player and I suspect this is the reason for Parsons’s errors as well.
So congratulations to him, these 7 years have not been easy, he has really battled to get there and I hope the club give him credit for this. Certainly it would kill him to read some of the crap on here from certain ‘Murdoch’ haters but I’m positive he wouldn’t. I even read on Facebook when someone wanted him to kill himself and it’s just not on. His friends and family read that stuff and the people who write it should be ashamed to be supporters of the club. Please think about that when you post.
100 games
5 Brownlow votes
1 goal of the year nomination.
What are YOUR achievements? And moreover, did you ever make mistakes along the way?
Enjoy the day Jordan, hope you have a good one!
That is nearly the best post I've read on our board ever. Totally and accurately summarises everything I've felt about both Murdoch and Parsons.
And totally agree about the blatant and unnecessary vitriol these 2 in particular, and several other players cop.
Refreshing to read your comments as a Saints fan.
There is an interview on our Cats page which exactly corroborates what you say about Jordy's confidence , and he comes across as a really decent man and team orientated player.

Last edited:

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Never questioned the guys application and congratulations on 100 games but my criticisms of Murdoch are also aimed at the club . He may be a good guy, and overthinking his role, and trying not break team rules but he is playing a game at the highest level, and being paid well for his efforts. He is under no more duress than any other player out there, and just because he makes few extra tackles and 'runs the lines' shouldn't exempt him from scrutiny- especially at this stage of his career when he should be settling and playing some good composed football not treating it like a hot potato. Perhaps we should blame the 'system'or the coaching, or being out of position. Whatever the reason, this thread and its title are like red rags to a bull to those of us who justifiably believe he has been lucky to get this far on exposed form.
I would love to see him tear it up but heck, talk about a slow burn...

Never questioned the guys application and congratulations on 100 games but my criticisms of Murdoch are also aimed at the club . He may be a good guy, and overthinking his role, and trying not break team rules but he is playing a game at the highest level, and being paid well for his efforts. He is under no more duress than any other player out there, and just because he makes few extra tackles and 'runs the lines' shouldn't exempt him from scrutiny- especially at this stage of his career when he should be settling and playing some good composed football not treating it like a hot potato. Perhaps we should blame the 'system'or the coaching, or being out of position. Whatever the reason, this thread and its title are like red rags to a bull to those of us who justifiably believe he has been lucky to get this far on exposed form.
I would love to see him tear it up but heck, talk about a slow burn...
The issue is the more than overt gross critiquing that he gets- but moreover, the crass descriptions of ineptitude etc that go with some posters "speaking their minds" via the keyboard luxury of anonymity

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...g/news-story/b9ae883a8b8271ffae7b6c51b30eb36c

“The day that we live in now, everyone has got access to players and everyone has the right to an opinion, but what I would stress is that teams aren’t built on stars alone,” Murdoch said.

“Obviously you’ve got stars but there are players who are also in there to play a role and are in there to try to make the team win.

“That may not look as sexy on a stats sheet but the best teams of the last couple of years have been built by having stars but also those players who are selfless and who want to play their role and want their team to win at all costs.

“Guys like myself, Parso (James Parsons), George (Horlin-Smith) has been like that for a number of years now and wants to do everything for the team, and if that means we get external criticism then it’s up to us to either let that fire us up and want to be better, or we can get down.

“But at the end of the day what really matters is what is said internally and I know that the roles we play are quite highly valued.

“I have to stress that each game I am trying to get better … in an ideal world I’d love to be reviewed as a guy like Patty or Joel and I’m working each day to be that type of player, but I’ve got to utilise the attributes that I have.

“My number one focus is having the team win and whether that means me running 100 meters to put a little bit of pressure on or doing a slight tagging role on a back or a mid that might be hurting us in transition, I just want to do that job for the team so we get the win.”
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...g/news-story/b9ae883a8b8271ffae7b6c51b30eb36c

Remove this Banner Ad

Back