Free Agency Jordan Murdoch (signed with Gold Coast as DFA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno why people are bashing the Suns for a 3 year deal, has played 100 games during a successful era for the Cats and at the very worst is depth and provides a senior body/leader in the NEAFL. As mentioned a few posts above, if he struggles that much he can be rookied. On the other hand he could easily slot straight onto a wing/half forward and reignite his career.

I think he is a decent player if he is 20-22 in your side.

Soon as you cop a few injuries and he becomes 17-18 in your side and you need more from him as you are carrying a few kids all his flaws are exposed badly.

So yeah I reckon he would have been a good pick up for depth for Richmond for example since they have lost Miles and Lloyd from their VFL team but can't see him being a good pick up for GC at all.

Not sure what was a worse signing, Murdoch for the suns or Yaya sanogo for arsenal.

Apart from his pace and size he’s legitimately got nothing at AFL level. For a side that won’t win too many midfield battles, getting an outside midfielder who can’t kick just doesn’t make remote sense to me. What’s the point of getting him in? To protect your first round picks from having to play when they aren’t ready? Could literally get any NEAFL player instead who would cost less.

I hope Murdoch does well for the Suns but the kid just hasn’t improved in 3 years. He’s no longer a young guy and he’s actually regressed in recent years a bit like Cam Guthrie.

Not sure what was a worse signing, Murdoch for the suns or Yaya sanogo for arsenal.

Apart from his pace and size he’s legitimately got nothing at AFL level. For a side that won’t win too many midfield battles, getting an outside midfielder who can’t kick just doesn’t make remote sense to me. What’s the point of getting him in? To protect your first round picks from having to play when they aren’t ready? Could literally get any NEAFL player instead who would cost less.

I hope Murdoch does well for the Suns but the kid just hasn’t improved in 3 years. He’s no longer a young guy and he’s actually regressed in recent years a bit like Cam Guthrie.
I fear that Yaya Sanogo comment won't get as much credit as it deserves.

The same Yaya Sanogo who put 4 past Gala? ;)

The same Yaya Sanogo who put 4 past Gala? ;)
I think it was Benfica, Welbeck is the uncoordinated arsenal striker who put a few past Gala

Tbf Sanogo did pretty well after moving to Toulouse; maybe Murdoch can rejuvenate his career on the Gold Coast like Yaya did. He’s got the physical attributes as mentioned before

I think it was Benfica, Welbeck is the uncoordinated arsenal striker who put a few past Gala

Tbf Sanogo did pretty well after moving to Toulouse; maybe Murdoch can rejuvenate his career on the Gold Coast like Yaya did. He’s got the physical attributes as mentioned before
All I remember it was an Emirates Cup game which meant sweet FA. I actually have not been keeping tabs on Yaya.
Yeah can only hope that players you bring to your club improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How closely did you watch the suns last year? Soccer terms they had a back up keeper (lemmens) playing striker.

Heck Holman was there most consistent forward outside of Sexton. Murdoch was a handy forward till scott plonked him at HB.

How closely did you watch the suns last year? Soccer terms they had a back up keeper (lemmens) playing striker.

Heck Holman was there most consistent forward outside of Sexton. Murdoch was a handy forward till scott plonked him at HB.
Looks like Murdoch will be kicking out for the Suns with this new rule after behinds.

I just don't understand why the Suns would decide Lyons is not someone they want on their list, but Murdoch is worthy of a three year deal?
Lyons is a far better player but he's really just a B+ inside mid in a Gold Coast team that has at least 4 B/C+ inside mid options in Swallow, Miller, Miles and Horlin-Smith, plenty of kids like Brodie, Bowes, Fiorini, Ainswerth and incoming top picks ready to run through the midfield.

Murdoch provides some mature body outside run and pace so the kids aren't burnt on the outside. That's not always an easy spot to find, in many ways the number of games he's played for the Cats shows that!

The issue isn't swapping one for the other it's not getting anything at the trade table for Lyons and then having to beat out the Saints and any others for Murdoch with a 3 year deal. That's where the Suns are really struggling.

Lyons is a far better player but he's really just a B+ inside mid in a Gold Coast team that has at least 4 B/C+ inside mid options in Swallow, Miller, Miles and Horlin-Smith, plenty of kids like Brodie, Bowes, Fiorini, Ainswerth and incoming top picks ready to run through the midfield.

Murdoch provides some mature body outside run and pace so the kids aren't burnt on the outside. That's not always an easy spot to find, in many ways the number of games he's played for the Cats shows that!

The issue isn't swapping one for the other it's not getting anything at the trade table for Lyons and then having to beat out the Saints and any others for Murdoch with a 3 year deal. That's where the Suns are really struggling.
You make some good points.
I’m not sure what you’d get for Lyons in a trade. He cost us a 3rd rounder and he’s pretty much the same player today. I think we were happy to clear his contract $$$ more than anything.

Horrible pickup. Might do well in the grand final sprint but that’s all he can offer on a footy field. Doesn’t use his pace.

You make some good points.
I’m not sure what you’d get for Lyons in a trade. He cost us a 3rd rounder and he’s pretty much the same player today. I think we were happy to clear his contract $$$ more than anything.
Yeah he'd be a third rounder but third rounders are useful for teams keen on decent usable picks and/or points value trades. And if he was on a big contract that's another problem.

I'm not saying the Suns are doing anything wrong, more so the hole they are attempting to climb out of from means a lot of decisions they wouldn't want to make.

I didn't say it was a swap of Lyons for Murdoch. Just that it is very strange to give Murdoch a three year deal and delist Lyons.

I think they are mad if they think they can rely on kids to win all the footy on the inside and I don't understand why they would bring in Horlin-Smith and Miles if they think they play simar roles. Lyons is more proven than those two and the amount of inside footy he wins is huge.

I didn't say it was a swap of Lyons for Murdoch. Just that it is very strange to give Murdoch a three year deal and delist Lyons.

I think they are mad if they think they can rely on kids to win all the footy on the inside and I don't understand why they would bring in Horlin-Smith and Miles if they think they play simar roles. Lyons is more proven than those two and the amount of inside footy he wins is huge.
That's true, I said swap them, which is effectively what they've done. Freed up a list spot and cash for Murdoch by finding a new home for Lyons.

The young guys should only rotate through if they aren't holding their own, but Brodie - who's a natural ball winner - is in his 3rd year now as is Bowes, they should be able to hold their own a bit. Fiorini's in his 4th. The backbone will be Swallow, Miller, Miles and/or GHS and clearly they've made the decision that even though Lyons is better than those guys it's probably not a huge gap. Lyons was the number 1 ball winner underneath a pretty good tap ruckman in Witts. I think he can be covered by using others in that role. It's not like he was Cripps - the gun mid copping a heavy tag with no help. Possessions and clearance numbers can be overrated given they're often a product of opportunity, plug another decent midfielder in to the centre square role and they'll often get the same numbers as the guy who was there.

That's true, I said swap them, which is effectively what they've done. Freed up a list spot and cash for Murdoch by finding a new home for Lyons.

The young guys should only rotate through if they aren't holding their own, but Brodie - who's a natural ball winner - is in his 3rd year now as is Bowes, they should be able to hold their own a bit. Fiorini's in his 4th. The backbone will be Swallow, Miller, Miles and/or GHS and clearly they've made the decision that even though Lyons is better than those guys it's probably not a huge gap. Lyons was the number 1 ball winner underneath a pretty good tap ruckman in Witts. I think he can be covered by using others in that role. It's not like he was Cripps - the gun mid copping a heavy tag with no help. Possessions and clearance numbers can be overrated given they're often a product of opportunity, plug another decent midfielder in to the centre square role and they'll often get the same numbers as the guy who was there.
They have plenty of list spots. At this stage I think they'll likely have to use 80 in the draft?

And even if they see Miles and HS as only small downgrades, why take a downgrade at all when you don't have to?

He's no Cripps that's obvious, but a guy that can win contested footy in a young team seems important to me.

They have plenty of list spots. At this stage I think they'll likely have to use 80 in the draft?

And even if they see Miles and HS as only small downgrades, why take a downgrade at all when you don't have to?

He's no Cripps that's obvious, but a guy that can win contested footy in a young team seems important to me.
The club have indicated his defensive pressure was not up to scratch. He was also in the bottom 5% in disposal efficiency (ranked 621st).

Dunno why people are bashing the Suns for a 3 year deal, has played 100 games during a successful era for the Cats and at the very worst is depth and provides a senior body/leader in the NEAFL. As mentioned a few posts above, if he struggles that much he can be rookied. On the other hand he could easily slot straight onto a wing/half forward and reignite his career.
Bashing the Suns is almost a national pastime now. Australia has really changed with the advent of social media. Talk about kicking someone when they’re down. Aussies used to support the battlers, not constantly stick the knife in. We could recruit Dustin Martin and we’d cop criticism for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back