Bumped Jordan Murdoch

Remove this Banner Ad

9 last year (.4). 2 in 2016 (.2)
As a comparison Menzel who is decent at it went at 1 a game last season and is 2.3 so far.

Better than decent....Menzel's hands are elite...

I think comparing Murdoch to Menzel is a little unfair.

Not many players in the AFL are comparable to Menzel's marking ability. Such strong hands and judgement of the ball in flight.

Menzel's a star. Give him a contract extension now and pay him what he's worth.

Better than decent....Menzel's hands are elite...

I think comparing Murdoch to Menzel is a little unfair.

Not many players in the AFL are comparable to Menzel's marking ability. Such strong hands and judgement of the ball in flight.

Menzel's a star. Give him a contract extension now and pay him what he's worth.
I don't. The context was that players at his height should be able to take a contested grab and he is bloody poor at it.
The Menzel comparison is fair as he's about the same height and at times plays on taller opponents yet is great at it.

I don't. The context was that players at his height should be able to take a contested grab and he is bloody poor at it.
The Menzel comparison is fair as he's about the same height and at times plays on taller opponents yet is great at it.
He is way short of the body-to-body and shoulder-to-shoulder strength and stability necessary to take contested marks against a true League footballer of his own height.
It's also why he would have absolutely zero chance of being a successful tagger or run-with player if he had to follow anyone into the stoppage; they would simply shove him aside as a minor irritant.

I see that Jordan has played 97 games. If he remains in the side he'll make the 100 mark against Carlton in round ten. That'll be pretty satisfying for me as I've always wished him well as he is a battler who gives it a real shot at each opportunity despite his occasional error prone efforts. I still think there's a spot for him if he is prepared to crash opponents and support the ball carrier. He was pretty good last night and if he continues in that way he'll go well past the 100 over his career.

I see that Jordan has played 97 games. If he remains in the side he'll make the 100 mark against Carlton in round ten. That'll be pretty satisfying for me as I've always wished him well as he is a battler who gives it a real shot at each opportunity despite his occasional error prone efforts. I still think there's a spot for him if he is prepared to crash opponents and support the ball carrier. He was pretty good last night and if he continues in that way he'll go well past the 100 over his career.
Thought he was pretty solid last night too.
Less of the howlers that have plagued some of his games.
With the lengthy injury list, he has no problems getting a game from me.

Occasional errors? This guys makes too many for a player of his age and experience.

I had to swallow my pride last year when he actually showed some improvement, once again he’s hit a ceiling. The kids underneath him should force him out of the team if we get a few injuries back.

IMO Murda was decent the other night.

Solid tackling. Good run and carry. Put his head over it and took a gutsy mark and goaled.

Is he a gun - no - but not every player will be. PFD is a gun and sprays s**t all over the place and gets hungry at times too - but hes PFD so its ok.

I get the difference between them and the criticisms accordingly - but Murda was best 22 the other night on the basis of that game. IF he continues to present that work and results he stays.

If it drops, then the floor is open.
Playing him forward is a good thing. And on the MCG, his ability to break lines and carry and kick long is an advantage.
His spot will become harder to hold with players coming back so he needs to lift to hold his gig.

GO Catters

IMO Murda was decent the other night.

Solid tackling. Good run and carry. Put his head over it and took a gutsy mark and goaled.

Is he a gun - no - but not every player will be. PFD is a gun and sprays s**t all over the place and gets hungry at times too - but hes PFD so its ok.

I get the difference between them and the criticisms accordingly - but Murda was best 22 the other night on the basis of that game. IF he continues to present that work and results he stays.

If it drops, then the floor is open.
Playing him forward is a good thing. And on the MCG, his ability to break lines and carry and kick long is an advantage.
His spot will become harder to hold with players coming back so he needs to lift to hold his gig.

GO Catters
I'd love to be able to do an edit of the game to include only Murdoch vision so I can explain my concerns on a step by step basis to show why he really wasn't that good the other night but alas that isn't my field of expertise.

I'd love to be able to do an edit of the game to include only Murdoch vision so I can explain my concerns on a step by step basis to show why he really wasn't that good the other night but alas that isn't my field of expertise.
I get you dont like him so even taking that in to account he still did some good things.

Im not sure how high you set the bar for him, and where you set it is fine of course.

Im not suggesting he's perfect, but for a middle of the road type he gets somethings done well. He's also been missing at times seemingly longer Harold Holt. And im sure in the next 12 months he's gonna feel the heat from the Kelly, Fog, Linc, Gregson, Miers, Cuncio and Chook types coming thru if not already so.

Right now - meaning the GWS game, IMO he adds enough to keep. Can he do more - most certainly and more consistently too - but ill take what he's delivering now. Maybe that's his thing - he leaves us wanting more.

GO Catters

I get you dont like him so even taking that in to account he still did some good things.

Im not sure how high you set the bar for him, and where you set it is fine of course.

Im not suggesting he's perfect, but for a middle of the road type he gets somethings done well. He's also been missing at times seemingly longer Harold Holt. And im sure in the next 12 months he's gonna feel the heat from the Kelly, Fog, Linc, Gregson, Miers, Cuncio and Chook types coming thru if not already so.

Right now - meaning the GWS game, IMO he adds enough to keep. Can he do more - most certainly and more consistently too - but ill take what he's delivering now. Maybe that's his thing - he leaves us wanting more.

GO Catters
It's not that I don't like him daz, (I don't dislike any player) It's that he's a liability under pressure and has proved this time and time again in big games when the heat is on.

He doesn't look when he uses the ball, no awareness of what's around him, no composure at all, and makes far too many mistakes.

Do we want that in finals? I want players in the side that either a) have talent and need the exposure to fast track that talent, or b) have what it takes to be reliable when the heat is on at the business end of the season.

Murdoch is neither or those options so I'd prefer to play somebody else or we'll keep making the same mistakes when it matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that I don't like him daz, (I don't dislike any player) It's that he's a liability under pressure and has proved this time and time again in big games when the heat is on.

He doesn't look when he uses the ball, no awareness of what's around him, no composure at all, and makes far too many mistakes.

Do we want that in finals? I want players in the side that either a) have talent and need the exposure to fast track that talent, or b) have what it takes to be reliable when the heat is on at the business end of the season.

Murdoch is neither or those options so I'd prefer to play somebody else or we'll keep making the same mistakes when it matters.

I find his efficiency under pressure is better when he can just play. By that I mean not think. When he plays like a" see ball get ball move ball" player his games tend to be better rather than when he takes possession and then thinks about looking for the best option. I get the free the arms type stuff but he does more than that. BLitz is another example that thinks too much. I get what you mean about work or effectiveness under pressure but he's done better when he just does it.

His size and speed help him here. If he just gets it and goes he uses his skills better. At least thats what I see. Can he be better and do it for longer - no doubt - but thats up to him.

In finals, the pressure goes up so IMO its even more important then to just play. * the thinking s**t and just, like MJ, do it.

Whether we or he gets another shot at finals remains to be seen, but the only version of him I want to see in that type game is the non thinking one.

GO Catters

Occasional errors? This guys makes too many for a player of his age and experience.

I had to swallow my pride last year when he actually showed some improvement, once again he’s hit a ceiling. The kids underneath him should force him out of the team if we get a few injuries back.

Good summary. Just makes too many errors. He will do something good and then instantly ruin it by doing something stupid. There was one play against gws where he beat an opponent to a lose ball, dodged the tackle, evaded another tackler, played on quickly then sprayed it straight back to a gws player. Just summed him up perfectly. Does a good thing then ruins it by spraying the kick.

He’s depth and thats it and once our injury list drops off (hopefully) he will be out of the side. Youngsters have gone past him already.

I haven't seen anyone here say that he'll be a superstar. The highest praise he receives is that he's serviceable and a battler.

Why is it that whenever he receives a pat on the back for a good effort the knives are out to cut his game to pieces?

I haven't seen anyone here say that he'll be a superstar. The highest praise he receives is that he's serviceable and a battler.

Why is it that whenever he receives a pat on the back for a good effort the knives are out to cut his game to pieces?
I'll tell you why. It's because early days alot of people thought that he was going to be more than just a battler and now because things haven't turned out that way those people feel the need to be vengeful which is used as a coping mechanism in order to protect their own ego. This may not apply to everyone but for most people that are slagging him off, that is why.

I'll tell you why. It's because early days alot of people thought that he was going to be more than just a battler and now because things haven't turned out that way those people feel the need to be vengeful which is used as a coping mechanism in order to protect their own ego. This may not apply to everyone but for most people that are slagging him off, that is why.

Thanks Stan. You're on the mark I suspect.

Mine was a retorical question but you've pretty well nailed the reasons why. This reboot of the JM thread was simply to acknowledge his game from Friday. Daz made a good point about PDs game in which the lows (almost failing to get his boot to ball in a non-pressure play as one example) were bad but of course the highs were excellent. Murdoch's highs on Friday were very good. His lows were probably not as bad as PDs in this one game NOT over their respective careers.

I think you can get game edits through AFL stats pro, but I'm not subscribed to it and not sure what's needed.

the more Im forced to think and review murdochs game the better i think it was. Very unlucky to not make it into the votes.
You probably should stop thinking.

You probably should stop thinking.
mate give it a rest, murdoch was ok, but beating up on him week in week out is crap
zuthrie has been pathetic last few weeks, and we dont see the same tirade of ship being published
danger has been average the last few weeks
his defensive pressure against the swans was poor, his kicking below par
but lets knife the murda

mate give it a rest, murdoch was ok, but beating up on him week in week out is crap
zuthrie has been pathetic last few weeks, and we dont see the same tirade of ship being published
danger has been average the last few weeks
his defensive pressure against the swans was poor, his kicking below par
but lets knife the murda
Oh, I've been an advocate for the removal of Guthrie too, just as much as I am Murdoch and Stanley. We won't contend whilst these blokes are in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back