Remove this Banner Ad

2011 End of Season Review
by VitalDread

DSC00862_1.JPG

Photo taken by [name]Old_Dog[/name]

Games - 9
Goals - 3
Best and Fairest - Outside top 10
Stats history: Jordan Roughead (AFL Tables)

Date of Birth - November 3, 1990
Recruited- 2008 NAB AFL Draft 2nd round selection (Western Bulldogs) No. 31 overall.
Height/Weight: 200cm 96kg
Dreamteam Price: -$212,800
Supercoach: - $264,700

2011 was an important year for Roughead in gaining experience to become a number 1 ruckmen later on in his career with the bulldogs, showing some good form and marking contest.
Along side with Ben Hudson, Jordan become our number 2 ruckmen for most of the year with him being chosen over Will Minson, so that he can gain more experience and develop more as a ruckmen/resting forward.

He showed great decision making in the ruck racking up tons of hit outs in favor of the Bulldogs and provided that he can be dangerous in the forward half, going for contested marks and crashing the packs.

Jordan was also part of the Foxtel Cup grand final victory which allowed him to gain more experience as the number 1 ruckmen.

His most impressive game of the year was against Port were he collected a high 16 hit outs and 17 disposals, a great sign for the future.

In 2012 will be a important year young Roughead, he needs to keep his form and gain as much experience from Will Minson and improve his kicking so that he can become a dangerous resting ruckmen in the forward half.

Notable Games:
Round 21 v Bombers, 16 hit outs 10 disposals
Round 22 v Port 17 hit outs 17 disposals.
round 3 vs. Gold Coast 14 disposals, 9 marks, 2 goals

past threads about Jordan:

The big ORANGE ROUGHY is delicious (2010)

Jordan Roughead (2010)

Re: # Jordan Roughead

I notice a lot of people seem to have high expectations next year for Roughead, I hope people don't get hopes too high though as Roughead will not likely be at a consistent level for another 2+ years as he is not strong enough for the ruck full time and doesn't have the smarts up forward yet. 1 disappointing thing this year was he seemed to lose some of his ball handling skills at ground level with his growing body. Pass mark for me next year is 6-10 games and more dominant displays for williamstown as number 1 ruck.

I like the way he took Maxwell on in the Collingwood game. Bumped him, harassed him, had a crack. I like the way he demanded impatiently that Skinner hurry up and give him the f…… ball so he could have a shot and make amends after shooting 0 and 2. He missed and it was 0 and 3. He sheppards, goes on long runs to present, tackles and does the 1%ers. He’s one of our best ball users imo, can find the space and put others in space. His kicking inside 50 is remarkably accurate and well-judged and his offloads by hand in traffic are astute. Has a steely determination, likes responsibility. I think he will be taking to McCartney’s approach like a duck to water. The marks have started to come and the set shots will too. Massive Roughie fan. A rough chance for the captaincy in a couple of years methinks.

Obviously Roughy still needs to develop but I'm liking his attitude towards footy. On the field he can do some pretty good things

Young Western Bulldog Jordan Roughead to replace Brian Lake up forward

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/yo...-lake-up-forward/story-fnelctok-1226492358275

Roughead, 21, was initially slated as a ruckman and key forward but after playing back in the last five weeks, including a solid outing against Brisbane's Jonathan Brown, he will play next year at full-back.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/yo...-lake-up-forward/story-fnelctok-1226492358275

Roughie set to start next year as full back. Looked encouraging there in the last five or so games this season, so lets hope he keeps it going.

I was pleasantly surprised by Roughead's efforts down back and was particularly impressed by his willingness to read the play and offer something offensively. I'm sure this'll improve with time. When watching him as a forward, I would never have thought he'd have the mobility to play as a defender but clearly I was wrong. He's certainly mobile enough and fairly quick when he gets going.

Perhaps after a decent stint in the backline he could return to the forward line. He's a nice kick (though I've noticed his career goal kicking accuracy is actually poor) and a good contested mark. I think he could be a good target.

THink what impressed me most about him being down back was against the Lions in the last round.
When he had the confidence to bounce the ball towards lions goal and then kicked the ball outside 50m

I know I'm going to cop it for this but I don't think Roughead is working at FB as a number one key defender. Last night was a game where he should have excelled against a bunch of tall forwards but to me his performance was just not good enough. Petrie ran rings around him for the most part and if anyone can point out what he did that any other ruckman in the league playing in defense couldn't do (ie. punching and spoiling high balls) I'm more than happy for it to be pointed out to me. I would say that Goldstein took a couple more telling marks in defence. Not saying he won't be a good player, but I'm just not convinced of his worth/ability down back.

I know I'm going to cop it for this but I don't think Roughead is working at FB as a number one key defender. Last night was a game where he should have excelled against a bunch of tall forwards but to me his performance was just not good enough. Petrie ran rings around him for the most part and if anyone can point out what he did that any other ruckman in the league playing in defense couldn't do (ie. punching and spoiling high balls) I'm more than happy for it to be pointed out to me. I would say that Goldstein took a couple more telling marks in defence. Not saying he won't be a good player, but I'm just not convinced of his worth/ability down back.

Its one bad game and how long has he been done there for?
Like 10 games or less? Why should he excel against a far more developed team?

For the record, Morris was more ordinary then Rough.

Its one bad game and how long has he been done there for?
Like 10 games or less? Why should he excel against a far more developed team?

For the record, Morris was more ordinary then Rough.

Didn't say it was one bad game. For me there were signs in the Adelaide game where it was wet that made me think we just won't be able to rely on him as a permanent back. Can you tell me what he's doing that any other ruckmen his size in the league couldn't do?

Didn't say it was one bad game. For me there were signs in the Adelaide game where it was wet that made me think we just won't be able to rely on him as a permanent back. Can you tell me what he's doing that any other ruckmen his size in the league couldn't do?

If he doesn't make it as a back he is finished, people have forgotten just how s**t he was in the ruck and up forward, it was a last ditch effort throwing him down back and he is doing very well. He reads the flight of ball exceptionally well and out positions forwards, not something a lot of rucks can do, his reach and timing on spoils is also far above average.

As a kid whose has played under 15 games as a key defender in a team getting belted most weeks and conceding a decent amount of inside 50's I think he is doing exceptionally well. Wins his position most weeks and is still raw, have seen nothing suggest he won't make it as a key back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he doesn't make it as a back he is finished, people have forgotten just how s**t he was in the ruck and up forward, it was a last ditch effort throwing him down back and he is doing very well. He reads the flight of ball exceptionally well and out positions forwards, not something a lot of rucks can do, his reach and timing on spoils is also far above average.

Fair enough, I just think you have to be exceptional to be his size and be able to play this position where you often have to be the last line of defense (spoiling, smothering, picking up and clearing the ball). Just not sure if I can see him making it.

Fair enough, I just think you have to be exceptional to be his size and be able to play this position where you often have to be the last line of defense (spoiling, smothering, picking up and clearing the ball). Just not sure if I can see him making it.

These are all things he has shown ability at, looking at the forwards that are going to be in the comp over next 10 years and the way football is heading, a giant defender like Roughead/Carlisle/Keefe is going to be the norm in a few years rather than the minority.

He's also aggressive and competitive and quite comfortable getting up his opposite. He's well up for it. What i think people will also notice, as time goes on and our back six become less at the mercy of unaccounted for and rampaging opposition midfielders, is that he has very good attacking vision and decision making. As we win and use the ball better and our defense becomes better equipped to turn over opposition ball, we'll see Roughy featuring in a lot of effective counter attacks.

Hey Doggies fans - just wanted to let you know that we had Jordon Roughead and Lucas Markovic down at the Sunshine Kangaroos for footy training last night (Wednesday).

The boys did a session with the kids on the ground and joined everyone in the rooms afterwards to answer questions from the kids (and adults). They were very generous with their time, signing anything and posing for photos, etc.

So - many thanks to Jordon and Lucas for dropping in and giving our kids a taste of the AFL big time! :thumbsu:

50 Games for Jordan this Weekend

He had his ups & downs this season as pretty much all players do, but DEFINITELY more upside to his season. Seems also he is embracing the role & wanting to do well instead of just doing what he's told. Look forward to him toweling up his cousin for a few more years at least :thumbsu:

Yeah I honestly think he can be a terrific defender for us, can only go up from here. He is just so useful with his ability to take contested marks back there, and his spoiling is awesome. He can sometimes get beaten on the lead by smaller forwards but when the team gets better and the opposition mids don't have as much time and space and the backline gets a bit more experience and know when to help him out and fill the hole, he will be much much better. Its not about just having a gun FB its about having a gun backline, which help each other out, thats what you need.

Can spend the whole preseason getting fitter and focusing on positioning/body use back there and we will have a gun on our hands, who is also an awesome leader and can be the general of our backline for years to come (if thats the vision we have for him anyway, who knows?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back