Player Watch Jordan Roughead

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't expecting much when he arrived at the club but I'm loving what he's done for us so far.

We've been pretty lucky/calculated on that front in recent years.

He looked pretty underdone to start off with but he's improved so much. :thumbsu:

I’m still astonished he was traded away so easily given the lack of height in your defence...
I've gathered that Roughy wanted to go, guess he didn't see eye to eye with the coach(es) and he wasn't in great form last year so we got what we could. TBH even I thought he was finished at AFL level and was surprised Collingwood gave him another chance as he would be behind Grundy and Cox in the ruck/forward area, but to my surprise has become a good tall defender which was where he played early in his career under McCartney.

Anyway there's no hard feelings from most of us - from watching on TV it seemed that no one booed him? He signed my jumper in 2016 and helped win a long awaited premiership a few months later, so he'll always be in my good books. Apparently he's a great bloke too :thumbsu:

A dazed Roughead had an argument with teammate Brayden Maynard on the ground during the match against Richmond after he fumbled a straightforward handball and Sydney Stack kicked a goal.
When Roughead eventually came to the bench, it’s understood he wondered why there was so much “black and white” at the MCG.
It’s believed he also said, “what the hell is Bevo doing”, which was a reference to his former coach at the Bulldogs, Luke Beveridge.

A review is expected into the circumstances of Roughead’s concussion and why he remained on the ground in a befuddled state for at least eight minutes.
The review is a matter of AFL protocol after a concussion.
Roughead copped a ball to the face in the first quarter and may have suffered a separate knock to the head in the second quarter, before he was ruled out of the game at halftime because of concussion.

Buckley was bemused when Roughead fumbled the handball, leading to the Stack goal.
And then Maynard said something to Roughead which sparked a minor verbal argument between the pair.
“Brayden Maynard had rotated off and had the conversation and said, ‘go and check out Roughy, because I don’t reckon he’s all there’, and that was seven or eight minutes after (the Stack goal),” Buckley said.
“That’s when they grabbed him off and did the concussion (test), made it delayed concussion of some sort.
“I know that a few of our boys had a conversation — there was one bit of play where he (Roughead) got handballed the ball, he fumbled it and then Sydney Stack kicked a goal.
“The conversation went to Brayden Maynard and he (Roughead) said what happened then and he (Maynard) said, ‘well, you dropped the ball mate and we had a goal kicked against us’ and he (Roughead) goes, ‘I can’t even remember it’.”

Is Tom Lynch facing suspension because of this? I thought if someone was concussed, even if accidental, it was an automatic fine or 1-week?
can't to suspend a player when its the ball that hits you in the head (there may have been another incident too?) I remember seeing the ball hit him but he played on. So I don't know what happened after that, and then I remember when he fumbled the ball, I thought -- that's very odd, he doesn't usually do that.

can't to suspend a player when its the ball that hits you in the head (there may have been another incident too?) I remember seeing the ball hit him but he played on. So I don't know what happened after that, and then I remember when he fumbled the ball, I thought -- that's very odd, he doesn't usually do that.
I didn't see the play itself but you may be right, however I saw a post on facebook and it had Lynch going for the mark and he clobbered him right in the jaw going up for the punch, that's where I thought the concussion came from but I may be wrong.

I didn't see the play itself but you may be right, however I saw a post on facebook and it had Lynch going for the mark and he clobbered him right in the jaw going up for the punch, that's where I thought the concussion came from but I may be wrong.

Didn't say the Play he was Concussed was from a Falcon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nasty one, I'd be surprised if he gets up for Sunday. Give him a break

Backline looks dangerously undermanned without him. But yes, just have to be cautious with anything concussion related.
Caution which clearly wasn't quite there on Friday with having him on the field in a dazed state after a head knock. Do understand it was a delayed onset though.

Concussion symptoms can be complex. Good on Maynard for looking out for his teammate.

The AFL may have to revise rules surrounding use of runners just to prevent such a situation recurring.

Concussion symptoms can be complex. Good on Maynard for looking out for his teammate.

The AFL may have to revise rules surrounding use of runners just to prevent such a situation recurring.

Could see it being exploited again and difficult to police if the AFL was to look at letting runners on to help with injuries. Especially for head knocks it would be handy though.

Ideally the closest trainer would spend more time on the field with the player in possible concussion situations also.

Could see it being exploited again and difficult to police if the AFL was to look at letting runners on to help with injuries. Especially for head knocks it would be handy though.

Ideally the closest trainer would spend more time on the field with the player in possible concussion situations also.
The runner doesn’t need to be out there to help, but Maynard couldn’t alert the bench until he was rotated off. That’s unacceptable.

The runner doesn’t need to be out there to help, but Maynard couldn’t alert the bench until he was rotated off. That’s unacceptable.

And Jordan was still on the field, apparently in a confused state, when Maynard got to the bench and advised the medical staff? Not good. I dont blame the club for the lapse in time, as they didnt know he'd been concussed, but something is not working if this can happen.

It's TOTALLY unacceptable for any player to be blundering around on the ground in a confused state of mind after a heavy knock to the head.

So much for the AFL's much touted concern for protecting the head and minimizing concussion effects.

As usual the new rule for runners was poorly researched.

Does a player have to collapse on the field with a brain bleed for the AFL to get it's collective executive head out of it's over tight sphincter?

If not a runner then dedicated medical staff - if necessary AFL recruited and trained independent medical runners.

The current stance is clearly reckless and totally unacceptable.

It's TOTALLY unacceptable for any player to be blundering around on the ground in a confused state of mind after a heavy knock to the head.

So much for the AFL's much touted concern for protecting the head and minimizing concussion effects.

As usual the new rule for runners was poorly researched.

Does a player have to collapse on the field with a brain bleed for the AFL to get it's collective executive head out of it's over tight sphincter?

If not a runner then dedicated medical staff - if necessary AFL recruited and trained independent medical runners.

The current stance is clearly reckless and totally unacceptable.
Simplest solution is club doctors / trainers must attend if they believe a head matter.

That simple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back