Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
chad cornes said that pies should drop roughhead and move reid down back..... but matthew lloyd hasnt said anything so jordan's career is resting on a knifeedge

Vankri

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Roughead had a very good game yesterday. Granted we were facing one of the least dangerous forward lines in the comp, but with our prime tall defender Moore out and Langdon out for half the game he did the job very well (5 marks, 4 rebounds and 9 one-percenters).

And one for the stat file, he has won 44% of his defensive one-on-one contests this year which places him 2nd in the comp.

I think he needs others around him to rebound, but he reinforces our strength in the air and that strength prevents a lot of avenues for goal for the opposition as they try to keep it low, or have to rely on slingshot against us.

Our best defensive mix as I see it:
Talls: Moore, Roughead
Mediums: Howe, Langdon
'Smalls': Maynard, Crisp
Seventh: should be a rebounding defender for me, currently it's often Greenwood or Aish (the former doing the job better), in the future I'd like this to be Quaynor. That would boost our defence and ball movement best.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Total agreement - solid, dependable and predictable.

Qualities that are far too often derided by fans and the idiot media - go behind the scenes though and their internal respect is high.

Oh but he doesn't rebound enough, he doesn't have flair. Oh but Reid was AA CHB 30 years ago

shows how much corne watches footy if he thinks reid can still play CHB, he frustrates me atm how much he gets beaten one on one up forward

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has been good in one on one contests and used the ball well. Can't ask anything more of a KPD than that. His weakness is marking his opponent on the lead, but that's not an issue unless we're not working hard enough up the field, which would be the addressable problem. Force teams into long, pressured entries and Moore, Roughead, Howe, Langdon present as difficult an aerial challenge as any defence.

The best thing about having Roughead is that we always have cover at KPD if one goes down. Very rarely do you need two huge KPDs so if either Moore or Roughy are out, we get one of our mediums to play tall. Back when we only had one KPD this was more difficult. Playing only mediums mostly worked last year, but our mids had to work too hard to help the defence out.

Statistically: averaging 2.2 rebounds per game, about the same as Langdon.
An underrated stat: he's only given away 2 frees for the year.

Has given Buddy Floglin a bath in the first half tonight. If Wells had stuck his tackle, Floglin would have 0.0 and about three frees against for being a useless campaigner.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Decent old pick up for the proverbial steak knives!

Went off sore late? Came back on and soldiered, hopefully nothing in it

Prestigerrycomo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was fantastic tonight. Although the big bud is well and truly over the cliff. Which is a shame. Love watching him in full flight
Shame it was usually against us

I think i read a stat somewhere that something like 1/7 of all his goals were against us. Maybe not that much but pretty damn high

Shame it was usually against us

I think i read a stat somewhere that something like 1/7 of all his goals were against us. Maybe not that much but pretty damn high
First ever game that I’d attended at the MCG was that wonderful night in 2008 against the Hawks where we kicked 8.14 and Franklin 8.6 :(

Back