Player Watch Jordan Roughead

Remove this Banner Ad

Roughy is our best defender now that Howe is in decline and Langers future is uncertain.
Our defence play as a team, it’s not about who is “best”

I think his doing well in our structure and getting alot of help from the other defenders.

He did well on Buddy even though Buddy was clearly underdone.

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's undersized and probably a bit short of athletic ability when compared to sam reid....credit that he doesnt completely lose confidence and make stupid blunders but you have to wonder what a guy of 192cm and body shape can do at AFL level.
Shaw, Libba, Betts & Diesel all say hi.

When you have cousin's with the same initials like.. what were their parents thinking lol
When l knew the family a long long time ago, they weren’t known for there thinking, bloody good at sport though.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's undersized and probably a bit short of athletic ability when compared to sam reid....credit that he doesnt completely lose confidence and make stupid blunders but you have to wonder what a guy of 192cm and body shape can do at AFL level.

Pretty sure Madgen was on McCartin, Howe had Reid.

shizzle

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thank * for Roughy is all I can say.

Our assortment of players held together by masking tape is rearing it's ugly head again, Dunn is done. Moore who knows, he was right to go for periods of time last year but chose not to make himself available for his own fear of injury, even when fit. Langdon will be gone for some time.

I guess when Cox comes back, Reid can swing back if warranted, but that's like relying on humpty dumpty to take on the night king. Howe is a good player but his form has dropped off a bit from the last 2 seasons. Mihocek can go back but is too valuable as a forward for mine, even when he's not kicking goals is a very important link up player, would be one of our first picked every week.

Thankfully our other half backs are healthy, Mr Reliable Jack Crisp is playing well, as he does. So is Maynard. But our KPD stocks are not great with Madgen a poor mans Sam Rowe, and Goldsack another that is undersized for the position, not to mention history of injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MjJ23

Debutant
Feb 3, 2017
Frankston
AFL Club
Collingwood
At worst I thought Roughy could add some depth. Was concerned about his contested ability as a defender.
At best I hoped we could reinvigorate him in the same was as Leigh Brown - mainly by playing him in the one position, teaching him his role and asking nothing more.
Best case is being realized !!!

At worst I thought Roughy could add some depth. Was concerned about his contested ability as a defender.
At best I hoped we could reinvigorate him in the same was as Leigh Brown - mainly by playing him in the one position, teaching him his role and asking nothing more.
Best case is being realized !!!

I thought ruck depth for Grundy was going to be his lot in life. Stoked to be proven wrong. He's been defensively solid as a rock and his kicking has been flawless.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
There was a period at the start of his career when he first moved to defence full time for the Bulldogs that he looked like he would develop into one of the league's best CHB eventually, he may have stagnated a bit though, then when Beveridge came in he moved him back into the ruck/forward role.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
Our defence play as a team, it’s not about who is “best”
Howe had one great individual year where he probably should have been picked in the All Australian side. That year our defence gameplan was pretty much based around getting him free to intercept but any game plan based on one player eventually shows it's holes. I don't think he's really gone downhill that much since then just more his role has changed and his old responsibilities of being an intercept player are shared.

With Moore and Langdon out Reid was just a bad match up for him. Against players who outsize him he can usually beat them by out jumping them but Reid is one of those players who can beat him with a free run and jump at it. With the players out and the Sydney forwards mix he was on a hiding to nothing as he had to play the role of covering a player and being available to intercept as Roughead and Madgen are not good at that yet (Roughead could be but his role atm is very defensive and against Franklin was instructed to shadow him everywhere).

The only switch, which was made in the end, we could've gone with from the start was Howe against Franklin, Roughead against Reid but letting Franklin get more of the ball could've been worse. That's another think Roughy did very well deny him the ball everywhere.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thank **** for Roughy is all I can say.

Our assortment of players held together by masking tape is rearing it's ugly head again, Dunn is done. Moore who knows, he was right to go for periods of time last year but chose not to make himself available for his own fear of injury, even when fit. Langdon will be gone for some time.

I guess when Cox comes back, Reid can swing back if warranted, but that's like relying on humpty dumpty to take on the night king. Howe is a good player but his form has dropped off a bit from the last 2 seasons. Mihocek can go back but is too valuable as a forward for mine, even when he's not kicking goals is a very important link up player, would be one of our first picked every week.

Thankfully our other half backs are healthy, Mr Reliable Jack Crisp is playing well, as he does. So is Maynard. But our KPD stocks are not great with Madgen a poor mans Sam Rowe, and Goldsack another that is undersized for the position, not to mention history of injury.
Gave it a like for the the sentence "that's like relying on humpty dumpty to take on the night king"
lol :D:D:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi guys, been keeping an eye on Rough and glad to see him going so well. Beveridge feels every player needs to play every position and it confuses the sh*t out of everyone and turns them into jack of all and masters of none.

Roughy is a premiership ruckman but his body couldn’t handle it and he just ended up slooooow at everything. Well spotted by Pies recruiting staff as you’ve re-invigorated this bloke and given him confidence in his position and role. Glad to see as well as I think he’s widely regarded as one of the nicest blokes in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back