Past Jordan Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

22 possessions at 77% efficiency for Russell. 4 clangers out of 46 for the team and he wasn't the highest. Just to refresh you, players like Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge and a couple of other premiership players averaged between 70-75% efficiency for the entire 2008 season. Russell was also 4th highest for contested possession for us.

A bit silly carrying on about butchering the ball based on that effort.

I would love to have a guy who disposes at 77% at Fremantle. Our average effective disposal percentages over the last two weeks have been 72% and 73%. We even had Crowley go at around 36% last week, and Dodd at 46% this week.

So I hardly think you can complain about Russell.

22 possessions at 77% efficiency for Russell. 4 clangers out of 46 for the team and he wasn't the highest. Just to refresh you, players like Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge and a couple of other premiership players averaged between 70-75% efficiency for the entire 2008 season. Russell was also 4th highest for contested possession for us.

A bit silly carrying on about butchering the ball based on that effort.
I thought he went very well on Saturday, saw the stats (22 disposals, high amount for JR's standards), but yeah, it appears once again he will go under the guard in the papers and by the "experts".:thumbsu::eek:
And yes Bluebear, it appeared he got the job on Johnstone and did a great job once again, limiting his influence.:cool:
Would a tagging midfield role be where we can finally place Russell in our side and see him play at his best in this role, considering our seemingly lack of these type of players?

Out of 5 games so far this year, in 4 of them he would get pass marks IMO.:thumbsu:
It's been a long wait and the club has most certainly kept the faith in him but he finally looks set to deliver the goods.:thumbsu:
He has looked much more happier and playing better footy under Ratten than he did under Pagan in his first couple of years.:)
This is his fifth year now so should be expected to step up and go on with it from here on in, doing a good job in a number of roles for us so far this year.:)
Might be the one to get a job on Bateman on Saturday. There have been posts concerned about how Bateman has got too much speed but JR ain't exactly the slowest guy going around.:cool:

Out of 5 games so far this year, in 4 of them he would get pass marks IMO.:thumbsu:
It's been a long wait and the club has most certainly kept the faith in him but he finally looks set to deliver the goods.:thumbsu:
He has looked much more happier and playing better footy under Ratten than he did under Pagan in his first couple of years.:)
This is his fifth year now so should be expected to step up and go on with it from here on in, doing a good job in a number of roles for us so far this year.:)
Might be the one to get a job on Bateman on Saturday. There have been posts concerned about how Bateman has got too much speed but JR ain't exactly the slowest guy going around.:cool:

That would be a good move for us.

Especially if Jordan plays a little deeper forward than usual, his height advantage over Bateman would be crucial if we can push him closer to goal and force him to play a defensive role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say in all Honesty we looked a better team last night without JR out there. I didnt find myself holding my breath everytime hoping we dont turn the ball over cheaply resulting in Opposition goals. :thumbsu:

Jordan crossing

As for the criticism over the fence, he claims ignorance.

Does he hear it? "Not really. Maybe when you walk up the boundary line."

Does he take offence?

There's a long pause before he says: "No. They (supporters) don't know the structures, what role I've been given.

"Obviously, you want to be liked by everyone, but it's not going to happen because everyone sees things differently. I know if I've played a good game; if I've played a bad game, I know that, too.

"I know I haven't really put a four-quarter effort together, but I've chipped away with two and threes (quarters)."

I have changed my views on JR after reading that article. Imagine knowing that the supporters don't support you. Imagine how you confidence would be shattered. Hopefully the game against Fremantle shows that the supporters were very impressed with his work and boosts his confidence. Watching him at training yesterday, I saw that he has a very large work ethic and want's to help his club.

Go Blues!

Round 20 Play of the Week: Jordan Russell

Play of the Week: Jordan Russell

Jordan you win this week’s Play of the Week – or more correctly Player of the Week – for you outstanding match on the weekend. Did you set yourself up for a big one against one of the game’s leading players?

Yes, I did actually. Ratts came to me early in the week and said that he’d been thinking about playing me on Johnson. It was pretty daunting at first – it’s probably the first time this year that I’ve been given such a big, defined role. So I spoke to a few of the coaches, and watched Johnson’s tape, but by the end of the week I was really looking forward to it.

russell-rd19-2009-246-1.jpg
Well done. :thumbsu: :)

The M & D POTW carries more weight than a Brownlow. :)
You seemed to scare the hell out of Scotland when you ran past, calling for the ball.

As a team we spoke about it before the match – Johnson probably wasn’t going to chase me down, so the rule was, every time I was free, you should use me. Sure I had to defend first but I was also asked to create opportunities.
RUSSELL.

Great interview. :thumbsu: :)

Russell is a top bloke like Sheehan noted.

^^ One of the best interviews I've seen in recent times.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Russ speaks really really well.

He does seem like a great bloke and I for one really hope he goes far for the CFC :thumbsu:

Re: Jordan Russell: A Blue believer

It is still early days as far as long term future goes for Jordy but those that have backed him have definitely had the right idea as he is the epitome of a confidence player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back