Rumour Jordan Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

via wiki:
Russell was recruited as the number 9 draft pick in the 2004 AFL Draft from West Adelaide.

In 2007, Russell played 18 games, but had not yet stamped himself as a definite future player.
Under coach Denis Pagan, he struggled for game time, and usually played completely defensive tagging roles, with reasonable success. Pagan was replaced as coach by Brett Ratten in late 2007, and he began to play Russell in the midfield and half-forward line. He played 21 of 22 games in 2008, and earned another two-year contract.
In 2009, Russell played 20 of 23 games, but was dropped briefly at midseason on form. This turned out to be a major turning point in Russell's career, as his form upon return to the seniors was outstanding. He continued his midfield/half-forward role for much of the year, but was forced into the back-line for the final month of the season after several injuries to team-mates, where he was equally effective.

Due to his strong form in the second half of the season, Russell finished sixth in the 2009 Carlton John Nicholls Medal.

After his success in 2009, Russell continued to be used in two-way roles in the backline, and was a consistent contributor throughout 2010. He played every game, and also assumed responsibility for most of the kick-ins. Russell finished second behind Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd for the John Nicholls Medal.[1]

Jordan Russell's best is enough to have him make a huge impact next year

Question is - can he find that form again?
A pretty big if - Salopek's best is also good enough. The AFL is a tough game and in most situations, once the game has gone past you, it's difficult, maybe almost impossible, to catch up again.

Jordan's a confidence player. Was our whipping boy and therefore found it hard to find confidence when the crowd would grown whenever he would touch the ball. Found stellar form and came second in our B&F in 2010. Injuries wrecked him in 2011 and he wasn't able to find good form this year. His best is very good and Port could do a lot worse than to give him a chance.

He's South Australian and mediocre at best. Perfect fit.
Ah I see why it's probably made up now then.
I hope we don't waste a free agency pick on him then.

Isn't that exactly what Sydney is being lauded for...........getting the best out of others rejects??

Making no comment about any specific player.
cant blame sydney for wanting a good player that wants to play for there club. but you can blame the ****head of a player . again no specific player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cant blame sydney for wanting a good player that wants to play for there club. but you can blame the ****head of a player . again no specific player.

Stuff me.....I know I talk in short hand but the point I was trying to make is: " why shouldn't the PAFC be able to re-invigorate Jordan's career - just as Sydney have done with other rejects?"

BTW.....it's their club ....not there club.:D

I have no doubt he will add to our team. Is more more talented than half our list but is he any better than keeping Salopek on the list?

A pretty big if - Salopek's best is also good enough. The AFL is a tough game and in most situations, once the game has gone past you, it's difficult, maybe almost impossible, to catch up again.
I can't disagree at all

However I am highly open to recruiting players with experience from other clubs and I think they will all seem a step above than the ones who have been developing in our system these last few years.

I'm keen to give him a chance and chuck him in the back 6

I can't disagree at all

However I am highly open to recruiting players with experience from other clubs and I think they will all seem a step above than the ones who have been developing in our system these last few years.

I agree at his best he has shown he is a good attacking half back flanker however depends if our system brings it out of him..

People have said he is soft/ softish cant say Ive noticed it in the past however I havent look either.. can anyone enlighten me?

I can't disagree at all

So we should get rid of our 25+ players and bring in other 25+ players because we've been that bad at developing players since our flag?

So we should get rid of our 25+ players and bring in other 25+ players because we've been that bad at developing players since our flag?
I guess if we are being honest the answer has to be YES. Admit out mistake and fix it, rather than be pigheaded and wait until it goes away.

I guess that you have answered your own question. Getting the 25yo from other clubs in place of your own is an acknowledgement that we haven't developed a similar batch for reasons of limited resources and the mental impact of 2007.

From what little i have seen of Russel i compare him a bit to Pfiefer??
Which at the moment does not necessarily bring a huge amount to the table.
Correct me if im wrong!

For those who know, here are some questions I'd like answered about Russell:

1. Does he have persistent/recurrent injury problems?
2. Is he a reliable kick in both uncontested and contested situations? Does he predictably cough up the footy?
3. Is he quick - and by this I mean, does he have speed to break from congestion and the willingness to run hard and fast in straight lines to carry the ball?
4. Will we have concerns about his physical attack on the ball and his desire to do the team thing?

From what little i have seen of Russel i compare him a bit to Pfiefer??
Which at the moment does not necessarily bring a huge amount to the table.
Correct me if im wrong!

Pfeiffer's biggest knock for mine is concentration. Repeated dropped marks and fumbles suggests that his brain gets distracted or anxious just before the ball is due to come to him. Jacobs and Chaplin are two others who have this affliction. He is capable of doing some very attacking, nice things. His best is valuable. It's his worst which is a liability.

As long as he attacks the ball he would surely be an upgrade on Logan at the least..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back