Remove this Banner Ad

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
With Battle unselected in the Saints R1 team it begs the question of wether he will want to stay at the Saints.

I think we will certainly still want him at the club, but I think he will want to play consistent senior football after his year in 2019.

A club like GC perhaps for Ben King in a trade like this

Ben King and a second to Saints
Josh Battle and a first to Suns

I value him as a early second around that 20-25 pick. Could net us a first with a second going the other way. We would have to get a second for this to work.

The question remains;

Will he stay or will he go?

With Battle unselected in the Saints R1 team it begs the question of wether he will want to stay at the Saints.

I think we will certainly still want him at the club, but I think he will want to play consistent senior football after his year in 2019.

I value him as a early second around that 20-25 pick. Could net us a first with a second going the other way. We would have to get a second for this to work.

The question remains;

He won't go to GC

Should be doing what it takes to keep him.
In my view it should have been his spot to lose, but anyway, early days and it is a silly season. Could be looking a bit much into it, we wouldn't really know just yet, I just think he's too good and too valuable to lose.

The question remains;

Stay .... Easily

We have to keep Battle. At 21 yrs old he’s our future.
I like Carlisle, but he’s the one who’s got to go end of season if it’s one or the other.

We have to keep Battle. At 21 yrs old he’s our future.
I like Carlisle, but he’s the one who’s got to go end of season if it’s one or the other.
I’m confused
Why is it one or the other?
I think he, Battle, is significantly different from Carlisle.
I think Battle is a forward not a defender.

I’m confused
Why is it one or the other?
I think he, Battle, is significantly different from Carlisle.
I think Battle is a forward not a defender.

Based on last year, he’s a defender.
Prefer him as a forward too actually, but it appears there’s no spot anywhere right now.

Just saying my preference is not to let him go, as someone mentioned using him as part of a trade to GC. I’d rather lose Carlisle ( age wise) as there was some talk about him wishing to leave/ the club wishing to trade him at some stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing I find amusing is how we get our knickers in a knot simply because a player we like isn't selected.

Personally I reckon its great that the likes of Battle Coffield Parker Sinclair Hind Marsh Webster Savage Brown can't get a game ATM. We can probably add Byrnes, Bytel and Abbott to that list as well. Much prefer that to some of the 23 to 30 list that we've had in the last few years.

As to Battle being the "future" - well I'd have traded Reiwoldt if it meant getting us closer to a flag.

Based on last year, he’s a defender.
Prefer him as a forward too actually, but it appears there’s no spot anywhere right now.

Just saying my preference is not to let him go, as someone mentioned using him as part of a trade to GC. I’d rather lose Carlisle ( age wise) as there was some talk about him wishing to leave/ the club wishing to trade him at some stage.
Battle was used to fill in for Carlisle last year. He was recruited as a forward but yes did very well. That’s why he is now viewed as a swing man.
My preference is to keep both. I think as the season progresses you’ll see him get games in this new role.
Kent tends to be injury prone so in all likelihood he’ll miss at some point. May end up being a moot point with the way of the world at present.

Battle was used to fill in for Carlisle last year. He was recruited as a forward but yes did very well. That’s why he is now viewed as a swing man.
My preference is to keep both. I think as the season progresses you’ll see him get games in this new role.
Kent tends to be injury prone so in all likelihood he’ll miss at some point. May end up being a moot point with the way of the world at present.

I like the fact that we have a few very solid players who've missed out this week - the minute the league tries to accelerate the season, we're going to need fresh legs who can come in and take advantage of older/tired teams. Knowing we've got Battle, Carlisle, Parker, Hind, Savage etc., all keyed up for when their chances come, gives us the ability to swing some changes for quick turnarounds without hurting our overall talent/experience mix.

And, as you say, as injuries come, these guys know they have to be ready.

Last edited:
Covid-19 may play havoc with whatever plans we have for Battle. I assume the coaching staff aren’t picking him because they feel he needs more time learning his position or waiting for injury to give him a key position spot.

In a full season, this likely means he would play a fair chunk of games and give us a good look at his worth in terms of a contract or even a trade.

But if this virus shuts the season down suddenly, I’m not sure where that leaves him or us. He’s clearly quite talented so the last thing we want is the season ending with him in limbo.

We haven’t/don’t develop players well enough to afford to lose him.

To add to the intrigue, perhaps we'll be adding a former no1 draft pick as a DFA next year too.
Interesting times ahead..

Rather other options than him ..... Jye Caldwell & Kieran Briggs are absolute perfect for us .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back