Senior Josh Battle

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, as stated in the Random Discussion thread, I wasn't the happiest of campers during that stage of my own life, so I ended up doing Years 12 and 13: 4 subjects one year, 3 the next. Really helped bump up my TER by a long way. I think it's a great option for Agincourt.

I see what you did there King Henry!!

Never heard of it

You mean when you fail subjects the first time round?

It was a decade ago for me now, however some students in my school would start some year 11 classes in year ten, which meant they could squeeze in a couple more year 12 subjects in to their schooling.

From memory the first additional subject was just a direct boost then any others would replace you lowest scoring subject.

He is doing year 12 at the Berwick and Keysborough campuses next year

source.gif

#Bont-like

Is Battle a solid field kick?
If his major attribute is endurance and working over opponents back to goal- could he take the place of an aging tall winger?
Keeps McCartin, Bruce, Membrey and Battle on the field at once- that's scary fire power.

I spoke to a guy on the weekend who has seen every single one of Josh's Stingray games for the past three years. He said Battle plays exactly like Jason Dunstall - he leads hard and straight at the ball and takes one-grab marks every time, then he goes back and calmly slots the goal. He is adamant that Josh is going to be a gun and reckons he will end up in the top five players from his draft year. He has certainly got me excited about what Battle might become.

I spoke to a guy on the weekend who has seen every single one of Josh's Stingray games for the past three years. He said Battle plays exactly like Jason Dunstall - he leads hard and straight at the ball and takes one-grab marks every time, then he goes back and calmly slots the goal. He is adamant that Josh is going to be a gun and reckons he will end up in the top five players from his draft year. He has certainly got me excited about what Battle might become.

That's what I thought when I watched him, looks like an old school gun forward. I couldn't understand why he wasn't a top 10 pick.

That's what I thought when I watched him, looks like an old school gun forward. I couldn't understand why he wasn't a top 10 pick.
From what I read on the draft thread and other media at the time- and I could have misinterpreted things - but as I understand if this were the 1980s, Battle would be the perfect forward. Sadly it's a different era and Josh's deficiencies are far more important then they would have been back in those days.

From what I read on the draft thread and other media at the time- and I could have misinterpreted things - but as I understand if this were the 1980s, Battle would be the perfect forward. Sadly it's a different era and Josh's deficiencies are far more important then they would have been back in those days.
Even though its been a few yrs since he retired id probably say Fev was the same. Just a full fwd and not really versatile to play any other position. But he was such a good mark and kick he overcame his deficiencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't Battle got a tank though?

Even if he is a limited positional player. If he can run like Bruce, his worth up forward will be very important.
Yeah he's gonna probably get a teams 3rd or 4th best defender as well.
My point with Fev was if a kids good enough he can overcome any deficiencies.
I think Battle was a good pick up by the club.

Is this fwd line to top heavy?

Billings bruce membrey
Battle paddy lonie/long/weller/sincs/wright
Lets worry about that when we are having big selection headaches cos weve got too much depth to fit em all in the side.:)
Sandy should do well next yr:thumbsu:

Two things that made him drop: were that he is significantly underage with Year 12, which put a lot of the interstate clubs off, since they didn't want that much hassle (and they had about 85% of the high draft picks); and his poor combine results, which it only came out later were due to a sprained ankle. The second is one of the reasons people go on and on about his poor agility - look at the good above: he looks pretty agile to me. But it's really hard to be agile with an ankle sprain.

Last edited:
The second is one of the reasons people go on and on about his poor agility - look at the good above: he looks pretty agile to me. But it's really hard to be agile with an ankle sprain.
  • Does some training at St Kilda during the year.
  • Gets to know club and players.
  • Saints don't have any high draft picks.
  • "Sprains" ankle.
t9ts-KAGiH70pbvDFaTUJGLUD8_deaEOLHrsWO2y_kcTKP4q2hMHq0WRpQEakZHcWOduTLcksIRvvpkS1Hlv3a9SXnAs7qq6OrsozeE=w429-h343-nc

Last edited:

Nah that's just modern nonsense speak. It's what happens when you over analyse stats and forget the sight test.

Nah that's just modern nonsense speak. It's what happens when you over analyse stats and forget the sight test.

It's like knowing how to be a forward and kick goals is irrelevant these days, it's all about the combine! What a load.

The knock on Battle seems to be that he's not agile enough, and yet his highlight videos are full of him selling candy like he's the second coming of Lenny Hayes..

I think he'll be just fine.

based on what i saw over here in WA, his agility def isnt an issue. slotted the craziest goal ive seen in U18 over here. i thought if anything he was a tad under sized over here, but i think hes grown since then

i came away from that game thinking top 10 selection for sure. if you had told me at half time we would get him with a late 2nd, i would have laughed my ass off

Great for Sandy, sounds like a Nick Sautner type, but when was the last time a player made it in the AFL playing like Jason Dunstall? 1995?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back