Toast Josh Battle re-signs until 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were Brisbane, I would have been all over him. They've got cash to splash and have a need for a forward to support Hipwood. Would have fit their age demographic well too. Am very happy he's committed to the saints.
Hawks, Adelaide, Melb, Bombers, Pies, Dockers, Carlton, God the Swans need him badly, all of them probably a few others would pay well for a young forward that is physical, can mark and kick has good football IQ etc. Hope he's a lifelong Saint.

I don't watch much TAC or u 18 champs, but there were two I watched that I really wanted.
Steele Sidebottom was one years ago and we passed him at the draft.

Saw Battle in an u 18 game the morning of the GF I think and he kicked 5 straight. When we got him @ 39 and Shifter Sheahan said he was the steal of the draft, I was pretty happy.

Really is a great utility. Was ok down back and learnt a fair bit about the game but is a forward and if he can contribute with his mark and goals he is a real weapon

Battle seems to be a bit of a unique “utility” player, in that most players with this label are generally just a taller midfielder that doesn’t necessarily utilise their height like a KPP does, whilst Battle is more like a KPP with elite endurance and solid skills once the ball hits the deck.

Extremely happy that he has re-signed, and he seems to be playing really well when allowed to roam around the ground.

As we get better there will be more clubs looking at our list and doing what we're doing, looking for the talented player that is being played out of position, not getting the opportunities their talent justifies and if I was another club I'd have targeted Josh big time.

I'm relieved and delighted he's signed on so soon.

How good was it to see him clunk those two big marks inside 50 and convert against GCS, but also to know if we need an extra body in defence, he's as capable as anyone else in the back-6.

Seriously good to know he's signed on the line.

He is built like a brick sh*t house & tough. Fyfe usually throws his body around & bullies opposition in the contest. That didn’t go so well for him last year when he tried to win the footy against Battle. He ended up in Queer Street. Battle reminds me of Aaron Hamill.

He's got a real touch of old-school about him - absolutely no malice in the Fyfe incident - just two players going hard at the ball, but I'll bet it's been a while since Fyfe took the express bus to destination f'ed quite like that ... as I recall, Battle didn't realise Fyfe had exited the arena, and completed the tackle as well, which caused some angst at the time - mostly from the commentators who were wondering what they'd fap about with Fyfe off the ground.

He is built like a brick sh*t house & tough. Fyfe usually throws his body around & bullies opposition in the contest. That didn’t go so well for him last year when he tried to win the footy against Battle. He ended up in Queer Street. Battle reminds me of Aaron Hamill.

He's built like a Wakelin though, thin hips and wide shoulders. Hammil was a staffy, Battle is a greyhound. Got the mongrel gene though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that Carlisle will probably outlast Ryder, I think Josh's going to be playing mostly forward for the foreseeable future. All things being equal.

Won't be at all surprised if he has one or more 40 goal seasons.

If clubs start scoring again that is!

Will probably be our version of Gunston.

Given that Carlisle will probably outlast Ryder, I think Josh's going to be playing mostly forward for the foreseeable future. All things being equal.

Won't be at all surprised if he has one or more 40 goal seasons.

If clubs start scoring again that is!

Will probably be our version of Gunston.
Probably depends on what the plans are for Marshall long term but yes I’d say that’s the most likely option.

I don't watch much TAC or u 18 champs, but there were two I watched that I really wanted.
Steele Sidebottom was one years ago and we passed him at the draft.

Saw Battle in an u 18 game the morning of the GF I think and he kicked 5 straight. When we got him @ 39 and Shifter Sheahan said he was the steal of the draft, I was pretty happy.

Really is a great utility. Was ok down back and learnt a fair bit about the game but is a forward and if he can contribute with his mark and goals he is a real weapon

Wasn’t Sidebottom taken before our pick? I wanted Rockliff (who’d given Sidey 5 of his bag in the GF) and he went undrafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn’t Sidebottom taken before our pick? I wanted Rockliff (who’d given Sidey 5 of his bag in the GF) and he went undrafted.

Yeah we took Lynch at 13 I think.

Pies nailed it with sidey and beams at 28.

Lynch is one guy we don't revisit too much. Honestly not the worst comparison to battle. Josh probably has him on size, presence and contested ball/marks but lynch maybe a little smoother with ball in hand.

Played in a grand final at the crows but now in a bigger basket case of a side than we've ever been.

I wonder how he'd fit into the side right now. And I wonder what he'll think of his change of colours come the end of his career (being the same age as him I can see it's coming up all too quickly!)

I saw that game, I also wanted rockliff. I couldn't understand why he was only picked up as a rookie.

I agree.
Hopefully getting to the stage where players are prepared to sacrifice a few $$$ for the sake of building a great team. Now they can see that we should be going places.
Important player for us into the future. I’m rapt.
Yeah, particularly when the $ are going to Steven and Hannabery!

That was some draft in 2008. Very few players were spuds. Vickery, Yarran (who had the skills not the application) and Watts were the real stuff ups, we were saved from ourselves with Lynch, we had tried to snatch Ayce Cordy with that pick forcing the Dogs hand.

For top end and guns scattered throughout the draft it was one of the best ever in hindsight. Sidey, Nic Nat, Hurley, Hartlett, S. Hill, Rich, Ziebell, Shuey, Phil Davis, Lynch, Balantyne, Trengove, Zacca, Mc Kernan, Beames, J. Roughead, Hanners, Liam Jones, M Brown, Motlop, Mitch Robinson, Rory Sloane, Redden, Stanley, Michael Walters, Savage and Jetta. A heap of others that played plenty of okay footy too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back