Draft Profile Josh Battle

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? I agree we need footskills and class, but if the choice came down to it surely securing a possible long term highly rated key forward would be a far higher priority.

That is just the problem, I don't consider battle a genuine kpp....unless he grows, he is more a 2nd or 3rd tall. He is a jack darling not a Josh Kennedy. We need genuine kpp's.

That is just the problem, I don't consider battle a genuine kpp....unless he grows, he is more a 2nd or 3rd tall. He is a jack darling not a Josh Kennedy. We need genuine kpp's.

think if freo had darling they would be in a significantly better position than they are currently :p

think if freo had darling they would be in a significantly better position than they are currently :p
Exactly, A high rated Key forward is a lot harder to come by then a high rated midfielder. We already Have Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Tucker all coming through as midfield options. It's time we took a tall with a top 10 pick for the first time since Pav

Exactly, A high rated Key forward is a lot harder to come by then a high rated midfielder. We already Have Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Tucker all coming through as midfield options. It's time we took a tall with a top 10 pick for the first time since Pav

Out of that group only Weller gives me any confidence of really making a significant impact at afl level.....early days I know. If we take a tall, we need a gorilla of 195cm plus. Unfortunately better kpf's are apparently in the 2017 draft.

Out of that group only Weller gives me any confidence of really making a significant impact at afl level.....early days I know. If we take a tall, we need a gorilla of 195cm plus. Unfortunately better kpf's are apparently in the 2017 draft.

not really

St Kilda took Mccartin with pick 1 and he is 191 cm and has shown alot of promise

Darling plays like a key forward at his height...the extra 3 or 4cms dont mean anything

I think you're overthinking the size thing. Battle is what, 1 Cm shorter than Pav? If he's the best available Tall I say we take him.

As a west perth supporter i have seen jack play league footy since he was 16 or 17 and yes he would be handy being a foil to pav, but he wouldn't lead the forward line (in pav's absence) because he is not a true kpf. Josh Kennedy however could as could lynch or Cameron or hogan - all talented and all 195cm plus. If we cannot get that calibre with a top 4 pick, not worth it and unfortunately this draft has nothing of that quality coming through as yet.

As a west perth supporter i have seen jack play league footy since he was 16 or 17 and yes he would be handy being a foil to pav, but he wouldn't lead the forward line (in pav's absence) because he is not a true kpf. Josh Kennedy however could as could lynch or Cameron or hogan - all talented and all 195cm plus. If we cannot get that calibre with a top 4 pick, not worth it and unfortunately this draft has nothing of that quality coming through as yet.
And what do you think about Jake Stringer? He's 193 cms and leads the bulldogs forward line just fine.

And what do you think about Jake Stringer? He's 193 cms and leads the bulldogs forward line just fine.
I think Jake stringer is an absolute gun and was compared to pav before he broke his leg as a junior, which resulted in him sliding from a likely number 1 pick to the bullies at 5 or 6. If battle was that good I would take him, but 8 am yet to be convinced (having said that, I haven't seen him a great deal). I'm all for us acquiring more bigs especially in the forward 50 but let's make sure we don't reach too far for a good player when a potentially brilliant player could be under our nose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think at this point Battle being taken within the top 10 would be a reach. If he has an outstanding championships no reason why he couldn't get to the top 5.

Not sure Josh is going to be a number 1 key forward at AFL level, watching him on the weekend I expected him to have a bigger presence than he did, floated across for one terrific mark but feel he is more of a jack gunston type, Kerr and Marshall the better genuine key forwards I feel.

Yeah the saints Preffered a shorter Key Fwd (McCartin) to Peter Wright who has 10 cm on Paddy.
One of the (few) questions against Peter Wright was that he is too nice, not enough mongrel in him. Not sure that has worked out that way, but .....
McCartin does look to have a decent future. Wright looks good too. But it will be a little while yet before they can really be compared. Talls take time.

One of the (few) questions against Peter Wright was that he is too nice, not enough mongrel in him. Not sure that has worked out that way, but .....
McCartin does look to have a decent future. Wright looks good too. But it will be a little while yet before they can really be compared. Talls take time.
Agreed both look like beauty's but Wright to me looks like he could be more dominant overall, 203 cm blokes with his goal sense and skills are rare.

Consider him a smokey for our first pick.

Reckon he'd be a dynamic pairing with Wood, could see the club picking him as Waites replacement.

Consider him a smokey for our first pick.

Reckon he'd be a dynamic pairing with Wood, could see the club picking him as Waites replacement.

Interesting Pykie. I've been struggling where to place Battle in my scribblings.

He's one of the hardest one's to place i reckon.

There is something there, and i wouldn't be overly surprised if he makes it in a fairly big way,but i also wouldn't be overly surprised if he never made a senior game.

He has interesting attributes for a prospective AFL forward. Both positive and negative.

It will depend on his drive and how he is moulded i guess.

Interesting Pykie. I've been struggling where to place Battle in my scribblings.

He's one of the hardest one's to place i reckon.

There is something there, and i wouldn't be overly surprised if he makes it in a fairly big way,but i also wouldn't be overly surprised if he never made a senior game.

He has interesting attributes for a prospective AFL forward. Both positive and negative.

It will depend on his drive and how he is moulded i guess.

The best indicators are their beep times and 3km times to see if they have the work ethic.

Guys like P.Wright, Weitering, Wood had motors and tested through the roof in that regard.

Battle has a big motor and uses it in games. I don't like the Darling comparison though. He's not as robotic, see him more like McGovern tbh.

Not as a no 1 KPF he doesn't.
Plays quite a bit through the midfield these days as he is explosive out of a pack. He is far better ion the lead or when the ball hits the ground, not really a contested marker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back