Draft Profile Josh Battle

Remove this Banner Ad

Was his Dad Tony Battle who played a few reserves games with Hawthorn and later played with Doveton...he was a terrific footballer
But as many gifted juniors have found, the two sporting pursuits started to overlap and something had to give.
"I sat down with my dad Tony and he said, do whatever what you find most enjoyable and what you see yourself doing in the future, and that was footy," Battle said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-03/josh-winning-the-battle-for-draft-credibility?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

Anyone have an idea as to why Battle dropped to pick 39?

Gone back to School Footy:

Yes, most private schools want their pound of flesh. With Battle not playing AFL football, the school would feel justified if he played for them instead on in the VFL. I don't think there is anything sinister about it.

That said, he isn't setting the world on fire yet at Sandy. Nor would he be the first to be demoted the VFL development team if his club thought it would do his development good.

Come to think of it, Haileybury go a LONG way to attract sporting talent. They have given scholarships to entire teams before today to get them to wear their colours. They want to look like winners and they are willing to spend to get it.
All the big privates want to look good on the sporting fields, but Haileybury go further than most.

Many years ago I went to Trinity Grammar School. We had a couple of guys who went on to play senior football and quite a number who played for Fitzroy U19's. But they had to play for the school first. Beating Assumption College was a requirement. Beating the rest was nice, but beating Assumption was first and foremost.
In those days Assumption had MANY VFL footballers, and made it relatively easy for them to board in Kilmore. Players I played against included Neale Daniher, which showed you how far away Assumption was willing to reach.
But they were nothing compared to the aggression that Haileybury has when it comes to recruiting talent, both academic and sporting. Teaching anywhere near a Haileybury campus, you were CERTAIN to lose you best students to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back