Senior Josh Battle

Remove this Banner Ad

Prehaps if you'd done your research before coming on here ranting about Australians in general you'd notice that Battle has exceptionally bad agility, no vertical leap to speak of and is too short to be a key forward with those traits. For evidence look at his combine results where he finished dead last for his two footed jump and bottom 10% for the jumps of either feet as well as the disparity between his 3k and beep test, further emphasising the complete lack of turning ability. The reason he slid is cos there is no place in the modern game for someone with his particular build and athletic traits no matter how skilled he is.

I know another superstar that had a similar problem & he turned out alright

7c6ce361_c66b_4852_8d39_53087ab4ac64.jpg

Completely different
Weller changed dramatically as a person, you can't really change your agility. Not that he can't become a player

You can improve your agility actually. Battle will benefit in all aspects of his athleticism by being in a full time professional environment.

Freo would have taken him agility or not but the problem was they weren't going to invest in a kid who won't be at the club for another 12 months due to attending high school interstate. You can pretty much add the rest of the interstate clubs to that list.
Spot on here, Freo met with him 3 or 4 times and he told them he was 100% committed to finishing year 12 next year

Spot on here, Freo met with him 3 or 4 times and he told them he was 100% committed to finishing year 12 next year

You know that people can study year 12 in WA as well... a transfer is an inconvenience but still possible

You know that people can study year 12 in WA as well... a transfer is an inconvenience but still possible
Moving to the other side of the country, transferring to a new school for a single year while also being away from your family that whole time.

Oh, and all the normal pressure that comes from being a professional footballer in the fishbowl that is Perth.

It'll take a certain type of mental strength to deal with that.

Moving to the other side of the country, transferring to a new school for a single year while also being away from your family that whole time.

Oh, and all the normal pressure that comes from being a professional footballer in the fishbowl that is Perth.

It'll take a certain type of mental strength to deal with that.

plus errrr

you know...

ross. who is on record stating he does not like players sitting tests etc outside of their break

thanks for the inside info man!!!! had a hunch it might have been the case, to have it confirmed is good!!!

does the curriculum line up? i know there are difference between our schooling here and yours

Dunno.. a google search didn't give me a clear answer on that one.

However, I think maths will be maths, english will be english.. and so on.

It's a simplification, I know, but it's not insurmountable, when you break it down.

Again, if it didn't make sense for Battle, so be it. I think it's lucky saints ended up with the leading goalkicker from u18!

When Lockett played and was dominating, 191cm was relatively tall though (the same sort of height as those who were playing on him), probably the equivalent of about 195cm now, if not taller. Things have changed a lot since then. It was only a decade or so before he debuted that those who were playing in the ruck were only about 190cm (eg. 189cm John Nicholls and 190cm Sam Newman). Now they'd be considered too short for even a key position. Darryl Balcock played CHF at 177cm!

That's true to a point but I reck 193 to 196 is about the perfect size to keep mobility and still be able to win the aerial ball. The guys who get much over that are good as ruck forwards but true KPFs seem to work best in that range. There are always freaks who break the mould but they are rare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's true to a point but I reck 193 to 196 is about the perfect size to keep mobility and still be able to win the aerial ball. The guys who get much over that are good as ruck forwards but true KPFs seem to work best in that range. There are always freaks who break the mould but they are rare.

Robertson 187

Understand completely why Battle wanted to stay in Victoria for year 12.

It's an important year, and important he has support.

Footy might only last a few years, but doing well in year 12 is a good way (but not the only way) to get a good start in your professional life. More to life than footy.

I think it's intelligent that he finishes year 12. If the kid was to have a career ending injury and hasn't finished year 12, then he might struggle for employment down the track? Unless he's a bit of an entrepreneur of course!

Also while he's developing a supportive environment at the Saints, it'll be good for him to have his old school mates/teachers/family etc as well for that pillar...

I think it's intelligent that he finishes year 12. If the kid was to have a career ending injury and hasn't finished year 12, then he might struggle for employment down the track? Unless he's a bit of an entrepreneur of course!

Also while he's developing a supportive environment at the Saints, it'll be good for him to have his old school mates/teachers/family etc as well for that pillar...
Bit of a persona non grata at our club but that's exactly what Luke Ball did when we picked him. Didn't do his career much harm, pre- or post-retirement.

I think it shows our class as a footy/recruiting department and how our player welfare has improved unbelievably that we all but told the young lad we expect him to finish his schooling and will do everything possible to structure his footy around his schooling.
Some reports suggest other clubs weren't as understanding which is very unfortunate in this day and age.
I think the kid will develop into a player, but we've definitely invested in a player for the future, which is a very good move considering where our list is at currently.

Robertson 187

Dunstal, Gary Ablett senior, Fev, Modra, Brad Johnson, Capper all played a key forward role as undersized players too. I think all were under 190cm and when they say the era was not as tall SOS at 194, Glen Jackovich 193, Shannahan 194, Penny 194 for example would have towered over all of them.

I think it shows our class as a footy/recruiting department and how our player welfare has improved unbelievably that we all but told the young lad we expect him to finish his schooling and will do everything possible to structure his footy around his schooling.
Some reports suggest other clubs weren't as understanding which is very unfortunate in this day and age.
I think the kid will develop into a player, but we've definitely invested in a player for the future, which is a very good move considering where our list is at currently.
Well said and great to hear!!!

If he turns out to a very good player. Then i hope he remembers what the club has also done to support him.

Prehaps if you'd done your research before coming on here ranting about Australians in general you'd notice that Battle has exceptionally bad agility, no vertical leap to speak of and is too short to be a key forward with those traits. For evidence look at his combine results where he finished dead last for his two footed jump and bottom 10% for the jumps of either feet as well as the disparity between his 3k and beep test, further emphasising the complete lack of turning ability. The reason he slid is cos there is no place in the modern game for someone with his particular build and athletic traits no matter how skilled he is.

Blinkered viewpoint from an internet genius. There are factors that can't be measured at a combine that are crucial to a players success these days, luckily Clubs are focussed on these and not drafting from a measuring tape and a stats sheet. Chris Judd actually talked about it recently for that series Emma Quayle did.

Blinkered viewpoint from an internet genius. There are factors that can't be measured at a combine that are crucial to a players success these days, luckily Clubs are focussed on these and not drafting from a measuring tape and a stats sheet. Chris Judd actually talked about it recently for that series Emma Quayle did.
Ripping podcast that one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back