Senior Josh Battle

Remove this Banner Ad

If membrey or paddy cant play boom we have battle now lol. Awesome.

Remember key forwards cost money so smart from us to load up.

With his enduarance antwhere he wants
Brilliant kid. Awesome
Attitude local boy amazing skills and elite endurance. He can play key forward to wing ffs.
Except he's too short for a key forward, turns like Aaron Sandilands and jumps like a tonne of bricks :drunk:

Quigley's write up.

If I had to pick a fairly highly rated player who could fall sharply and maybe not be taken at all it would be Battle. Battle has significant athletic deficiencies which cause me to seriously question whether he will be able to be effective at all at AFL level.

Lets look at those issues. First up there is his height. He is only 192cm which, unless you are athletically gifted, is very much on the short side for a KPF. His lack of height is not helped by the fact that he cannot jump over an anthill. He finished last in the 2 footed jump and was in the bottom 7% and 11% in the two running jump tests. With his height issues a lot of people expect him to be more of a third tall rather than a KP. The problem with that is that his agility is very, very poor. He tested over 9 seconds in the agility test at the Combine (3rd bottom) and plays that way too. Battle performed poorly in any of the testing that involved stop and goes or changes of direction.

When the AFL Academy went to the US earlier in the year and Battle impressively won the 3km. Whilst he didn't win the 3km at the Combine he still ran a very credible 10.07 so it is safe to assume that endurance is a strength of his. For those looking to consider how much his lack of agility is likely to affect his ability to use the strengths he has need to look at his beep test. Even though he is an elite 3km runner he was below average in the beep test with a 13.5. Battle ran a respectable 3.08 in the 20m (slightly below average) but finished last in the 30m repeat sprint with a really ordinary 27 second time. All this was already known to AFL teams but the lack of improvement hurts him. So safe to say Battle had a very ordinary Combine and to make matters worse he tested poorly in the skills as well.

If Battle is going to succeed he is going to need to play a game like Tom Lynch (the Adelaide version). He is going to need to roam far and wide and play a completely different way to the way he plays now. It is possible that he succeeds in that role given he has the straight line running ability to cover the necessary ground and he is a very good mark of the ball. Whilst he is not very good below his knees his hands over his head are good and he is a very capable contested mark. He finds the creases in zones very intelligently but he often has to work with a defender in his back pocket and he is likely to struggle when matched up on quicker and bigger AFL level opponents. Closer to goal he struggles to get separation on his leads and I think at AFL level he is going to need to work further up the ground and then beat his man leading back hard toward goal.

Despite his limitations it is worth noting that Battle was very effective this year and averaged 3 goals a game. He had a variety of ways of goaling and his goal sense is very good. He is a smart player who makes the most of what he has and is very professional from all reports. He is going to struggle to adapt but I am not writing him off just yet. A smart, strong footballer often finds a way to be effective. He just to find how to make best use of his strengths and minimise his weaknesses.

52962660.jpg

Quigley's write up.

If I had to pick a fairly highly rated player who could fall sharply and maybe not be taken at all it would be Battle. Battle has significant athletic deficiencies which cause me to seriously question whether he will be able to be effective at all at AFL level.

Lets look at those issues. First up there is his height. He is only 192cm which, unless you are athletically gifted, is very much on the short side for a KPF. His lack of height is not helped by the fact that he cannot jump over an anthill. He finished last in the 2 footed jump and was in the bottom 7% and 11% in the two running jump tests. With his height issues a lot of people expect him to be more of a third tall rather than a KP. The problem with that is that his agility is very, very poor. He tested over 9 seconds in the agility test at the Combine (3rd bottom) and plays that way too. Battle performed poorly in any of the testing that involved stop and goes or changes of direction.

When the AFL Academy went to the US earlier in the year and Battle impressively won the 3km. Whilst he didn't win the 3km at the Combine he still ran a very credible 10.07 so it is safe to assume that endurance is a strength of his. For those looking to consider how much his lack of agility is likely to affect his ability to use the strengths he has need to look at his beep test. Even though he is an elite 3km runner he was below average in the beep test with a 13.5. Battle ran a respectable 3.08 in the 20m (slightly below average) but finished last in the 30m repeat sprint with a really ordinary 27 second time. All this was already known to AFL teams but the lack of improvement hurts him. So safe to say Battle had a very ordinary Combine and to make matters worse he tested poorly in the skills as well.

If Battle is going to succeed he is going to need to play a game like Tom Lynch (the Adelaide version). He is going to need to roam far and wide and play a completely different way to the way he plays now. It is possible that he succeeds in that role given he has the straight line running ability to cover the necessary ground and he is a very good mark of the ball. Whilst he is not very good below his knees his hands over his head are good and he is a very capable contested mark. He finds the creases in zones very intelligently but he often has to work with a defender in his back pocket and he is likely to struggle when matched up on quicker and bigger AFL level opponents. Closer to goal he struggles to get separation on his leads and I think at AFL level he is going to need to work further up the ground and then beat his man leading back hard toward goal.

Despite his limitations it is worth noting that Battle was very effective this year and averaged 3 goals a game. He had a variety of ways of goaling and his goal sense is very good. He is a smart player who makes the most of what he has and is very professional from all reports. He is going to struggle to adapt but I am not writing him off just yet. A smart, strong footballer often finds a way to be effective. He just to find how to make best use of his strengths and minimise his weaknesses.
That's why stats and testing are a guide not everything. He's a footballer first and he averages 3 goals as a KPF. He's a potential Fev or even Jack Darling type to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good get D. :thumbsu:

Just don't watch the part directly after that goal, which is SPP just ripping the game apart like a Dangerfield/Martin and getting a massive wrap from Mick Ablett! :D

spot on, that was the game where i went WOW SPP is a player. was a complete 180 to his champs the year before. we were expected to get flogged in that game and everyone was saying how poor the WA stocks were

fast fwd to now and its amazing how things can change

He´s a very good kick for goal but also his short passing is bang on. Good strong mark.
I honestly see a bit of Pavlich in him particularly his kicking for goal action. If he has a bit of growing and filling out to do
there is no reason why he wouldnt be big and shown enough to hold down a KPF spot if he´s good enough in the future.

Last edited:
Huge get for saints.
Played midfield all the way up until under 16's when stingrays and country pencilled him in as a key forward.
He played midfield in haileyburys 1st XVIII as a year 9... anyone that knows school footy in vic knows that is a fair achievement.

To me watching him play as a key forward reminds me of fev as a ff. Goot hit up type who has great hands and will go back from anywhere and put it through. But he also has that ability to roam across half forward and pick out targets inside 50.

I wouldnt read much out of his combine results. He is a natural footballer who in 2-3 years will be a certain best 22 player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back