Senior Josh Battle

Remove this Banner Ad

Prehaps if you'd done your research before coming on here ranting about Australians in general you'd notice that Battle has exceptionally bad agility, no vertical leap to speak of and is too short to be a key forward with those traits. For evidence look at his combine results where he finished dead last for his two footed jump and bottom 10% for the jumps of either feet as well as the disparity between his 3k and beep test, further emphasising the complete lack of turning ability. The reason he slid is cos there is no place in the modern game for someone with his particular build and athletic traits no matter how skilled he is.
Uh, he had a sprained ankle at the Combine, Crundles...

Well I did make it explicitly clear that its not my opinion, I have heard it from a few different people who I would say have varying degrees of knowledge of him and recruitment.

Do you know the guy personally? Is there any reason your opinion would be more correct than the people im paraphrasing?
I know him personally. He's a good kid.

He slid cause he wanted /needed to be not only in melbourne but preffered to be at stkilda for school etc.

We fans like to believe the draft isnt conprimised but reality is clubs talk to each other deals (favours) are made.
Mitchell for 88 you dont think theres somehing coming back to hawks from wce for that?

A few teams may have stood by for us to get battle. North and Essendon imo. Reckon may owe them something/favour in the future.

Also stop and think and watch
Does his highlights suggest he has no agility or jump?? He jumps over other players he baulks beautifully snapping goals. Its there on video ffs. Combine was bs.

From the vid he was clearly a passionate Hawks fan. Very passionate.

Hawks first pick was #1,483 or thereabouts.

Battle tried his best to slide all the way down to the Dingley Tipsters but failed when the Sainters saw through his charade.

Having now donned the Red, White & Black the young fella can't believe he was once enamoured with the toilet toned outfit.

It's all good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched him in the all stars game and saw some highlights of the allies vic country match and he looked easily the best KPF in both games. Even when he's not kicking goals he looks like he's dangerous. It's really hard to see why he wasn't a top 10 pick IMO. Big forwards are hard to find and one of the knocks seemed to be his one dimensional game but he has endurance to make him an around the ground weapon. It's a nice surprise to get him so late and I think once some people see him play some NAB footy there will be a heap of excitement about him. It's not like Spencer White where the odd highlight made him look like Buddy, this kid is a ripper and will be very likely to make a good impact at AFL level with a huge ceiling.

Battle is 192 (or 193 or 194 depending who you ask) at 18 years old.

I don't know why he slid but his height isn't the reason.
The last time there was this much interest in Battle Heights was way back in 1974

images

Freo would have taken him agility or not but the problem was they weren't going to invest in a kid who won't be at the club for another 12 months due to attending high school interstate. You can pretty much add the rest of the interstate clubs to that list.

Remember when the crows did it with danger, worked out well for them. We're just lucky we have 4 genuine fwds & a couple of swingman on our list.

Last edited:
Remember when the crows did with danger, worked out well for them. We're just lucky we have 4 genuine fwds & a couple of swingman on our list.
This is one of the luxuries of depth - time to quietly invest in slow burns. Pierce in our ruck division is another case in point.

Apparently ankle sprain, not sure who mentioned it first and what the source is though.

Yeah I mentioned his agility, and someone else came back and said his combine results were suspect due to ankle.
( I didn't call anyone an Idiot though :rolleyes: )

His height is his height.
I think most commentators considered him a potential third forward probably because he's neither a big McCartin/Gehrig type unit, or an Athletic Riewoldt/Bruce type player. We know its the 200cm forwards that have the recruiters drooling these days, even though many of them seem to end up not doing much for various reasons ( Kosi one of the best ).

This is one of the luxuries of depth - time to quietly invest in slow burns. Pierce in our ruck division is another case in point.

You simply can't draft a tall forward the year you need him. People that say we haven't drafted for need, have to consider that Nick Riewoldt is retired by the time Battle is ready to play.

Yeah I mentioned his agility, and someone else came back and said his combine results were suspect due to ankle.
( I didn't call anyone an Idiot though :rolleyes: )

His height is his height.
I think most commentators considered him a potential third forward probably because he's neither a big McCartin/Gehrig type unit, or an Athletic Riewoldt/Bruce type player. We know its the 200cm forwards that have the recruiters drooling these days, even though many of them seem to end up not doing much for various reasons ( Kosi one of the best ).

I'd still take Fev or Lockett at 191cm over Daniher or any of the other 200cm forwards.

You simply can't draft a tall forward the year you need him. People that say we haven't drafted for need, have to consider that Nick Riewoldt is retired by the time Battle is ready to play.
Spot on and if we have 1 or 2 OOC/FA MIDS over the line for next year then a tall KPF is suddenly back on the cards as a need

I'd still take Fev or Lockett at 191cm over Daniher or any of the other 200cm forwards.
When Lockett played and was dominating, 191cm was relatively tall though (the same sort of height as those who were playing on him), probably the equivalent of about 195cm now, if not taller. Things have changed a lot since then. It was only a decade or so before he debuted that those who were playing in the ruck were only about 190cm (eg. 189cm John Nicholls and 190cm Sam Newman). Now they'd be considered too short for even a key position. Darryl Balcock played CHF at 177cm!

Mav Weller came to us with rumours floating around that he was a big head tosser who struggled to fit into a AFL team environment at the Suns.
Couldnt be further from the truth with what he has shown at StKilda so far.
Im not gonna believe any rumours about Battle. His actions at our club will make my mind up about him.
Seems like a decent kid so far.
Completely different
Weller changed dramatically as a person, you can't really change your agility. Not that he can't become a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back