Traded Josh Bruce [traded to Western Bulldogs for #32 and #51]

Remove this Banner Ad

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s been reported the Bulldogs have offered Bruce a substantial 4 year contract that is difficult to refuse. When St Kilda were informed about this they were open to a trade if the deal was right. So, that’s probably where it’s at ATM.

The Bulldogs really want Bruce but he’s contracted to the Saints. In those circumstances it’s a seller’s market and not a fire sale. Saints would be happy for him to stay, especially with Max King developing his craft.

It seems unavoidable that pick 12 will have to be part of any deal. Saints will insist on it. Those that insist he’s only worth a 2nd RDP need to consider the above circumstances. The seller is not distressed and the buyer is keen and initiating the deal.

The question is whether a deal can be done. I think Bruce will be a star at the Bulldogs. He’s exactly what they need.

Saints have the same dilemma with Hill. He is contracted to Freo and they are entitled to nominate his value to be pick 5. Whether Saints pay that price is a matter for conjecture. I hope they don’t but it’s a seller’s market. That is the reality.

No offence on your post mate and I’m not saying you’re wrong but you’re just assuming that it was the dogs who made the move first in approaching Bruce. You’re just basing that on us offering a four year deal.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
No offence on your post mate and I’m not saying you’re wrong but you’re just assuming that it was the dogs who made the move first in approaching Bruce. You’re just basing that on us offering a four year deal.
So you think Bruce went to the Dogs and they were so flattered they offered him a 4 year deal on substantial money on the spot?

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So you think Bruce went to the Dogs and they were so flattered they offered him a 4 year deal on substantial money on the spot?

Well first of all you don’t know what money is being offered. It wouldn’t be a huge surprise for the dogs to approach Bruce after he’s been told he may be up for trade. Managers can talk. Just because we’ve offered four years doesn’t mean we went to Bruce first.

Carlisle being told he’s up for trade too supposedly.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well first of all you don’t know what money is being offered. It wouldn’t be a huge surprise for the dogs to approach Bruce after he’s been told he may be up for trade. Managers can talk. Just because we’ve offered four years doesn’t mean we went to Bruce first.

Carlisle being told he’s up for trade too supposedly.
The same people continually reporting about this trade have used terms such as 'lucrative' and 'a deal he can't refuse' to describe the offer from the dogs. It is pretty safe to assume he is being offered a lot of coin.

The Carlisle trade was more posturing from the club and his manager around him getting a new long term deal. Carlisle never wanted to leave and the club would only be willing to trade him if they got a good deal back. That issue got resolved very quickly once everyone realised Carlisle wasnt getting a better deal than he is on, and the club wasn't going to get something worth it back.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The same people continually reporting about this trade have used terms such as 'lucrative' and 'a deal he can't refuse' to describe the offer from the dogs. It is pretty safe to assume he is being offered a lot of coin.

The Carlisle trade was more posturing from the club and his manager around him getting a new long term deal. Carlisle never wanted to leave and the club would only be willing to trade him if they got a good deal back. That issue got resolved very quickly once everyone realised Carlisle wasnt getting a better deal than he is on, and the club wasn't going to get something worth it back.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t give a first for Bruce, but I think 12 is way too high. I think saints know that too but it’s our highest pick. We may need to get creative to get something else around 18/19. They are also saying Keath is getting big money - 600k a year these days ain’t big money lol.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool

I’m basing that on reports I’ve read, what I’ve heard in the media and what ITKs have commented. We can argue about whether the Saints offered the Bulldogs a wink when the offer was proposed or whether Bruce’s value is highest now before Max King becomes the player we hope he becomes. Both could be mitigating factors.

But at the end of the day the facts I mentioned seem to reflect, in general terms, what’s happened. And St Kilda have exactly the same dilemma with Brad Hill. It cuts both ways.

I think there is a chance Bruce stays at St Kilda and Hill stays at Freo. The price both players will command at the trade table will be overs because each player is important to their respective teams next year.

I have no idea what will happen. But the Bulldogs won’t get Bruce on the cheap, and the Saints won’t get Hill on the cheap. It’s an unpalatable scenario for both lots of supporters. Including me.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m basing that on reports I’ve read, what I’ve heard in the media and what ITKs have commented. We can argue about whether the Saints offered the Bulldogs a wink when the offer was proposed or whether Bruce’s value is highest now before Max King becomes the player we hope he becomes. Both could be mitigating factors.

But at the end of the day the facts I mentioned seem to reflect, in general terms, what’s happened. And St Kilda have exactly the same dilemma with Brad Hill. It cuts both ways.

I think there is a chance Bruce stays at St Kilda and Hill stays at Freo. The price both players will command at the trade table will be overs because each player is important to their respective teams next year.

I have no idea what will happen. But the Bulldogs won’t get Bruce on the cheap, and the Saints won’t get Hill on the cheap. It’s an unpalatable scenario for both lots of supporters. Including me.

Agreed. Nor should you trade Bruce on the cheap. If you get Ryder, what happens with your forward line? Membrey, Ryder (resting), King? McCartin??

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
Agreed. Nor should you trade Bruce on the cheap. If you get Ryder, what happens with your forward line? Membrey, Ryder (resting), King? McCartin??

It’s a good question. I’m in the minority among Saints fans. I’d rather keep Bruce and take pick 5 to the draft. Keep stocking up on elite kids and improve our development.

I greatly admire what the Bulldogs have done. You are a gun young side who will leap up the ladder. I’d love Saints to do what you have done. I look at a lad like Dunkley and feel jealous. I hope we can unearth a few like him.

Hill doesn’t thrill me in the least, he’s a nice player but not an elite leader that changes games. Ryder is in the twilight of his career and I’m not enamoured with what he offers. But others are better judges than me. King will be a star but needs time. He’s just a lad and he needs senior bodies around him.

I suspect the price the Bulldogs pay for Bruce is linked to the Hill deal. If the Hill deal falls over so may the Bruce deal. I still think pick 12 will be involved, but the Saints will probably offer a pick (or better pick) back to the Bulldogs if the Hill deal goes well.

IMO the value of traded picks will depend on the Hill deal. From St Kilda’s perspective it’s probably about the net outcome of both deals rather than the net outcome of each individual trade (if you understand what I mean). And I think that’s what complicates the Bruce trade from a Bulldogs perspective who are looking at the trade in isolation (and understandably so).

It will be a fascinating trade period.

Rookie

Premiership Player
May 12, 2004
Globetrotting
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pick 12 + either a future or current third for Bruce and a future second.

No point trying to get the trade done without using pick 12 unless St Kilda has a long list of targets and needs the trade currency. Pick 12 will need to be part of it, but we will want something back.

On moto g(6) play using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It amazes me how much credibility bigfooty 'ITK' posters get.

In reality they know just as much as everyone else but are better at speaking out of their arse.
Anyone who starts with "I heard", "i know", "i know for a fact", "i believe" etc is talking out of their ass to sound important

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
Suggest you read my response again... "of some description"

Saints supporters have it in their heads that dogs want to trade pick 30 ... we have the ability to trade into very early second round as well

Pick 12 is not getting you Hill as much as some saints fans want that to happen

Pick 5 isn’t getting Hill atm. Go to the Hill thread, it’s crazy.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s a good question. I’m in the minority among Saints fans. I’d rather keep Bruce and take pick 5 to the draft. Keep stocking up on elite kids and improve our development.

I greatly admire what the Bulldogs have done. You are a gun young side who will leap up the ladder. I’d love Saints to do what you have done. I look at a lad like Dunkley and feel jealous. I hope we can unearth a few like him.

Hill doesn’t thrill me in the least, he’s a nice player but not an elite leader that changes games. Ryder is in the twilight of his career and I’m not enamoured with what he offers. But others are better judges than me. King will be a star but needs time. He’s just a lad and he needs senior bodies around him.

I suspect the price the Bulldogs pay for Bruce is linked to the Hill deal. If the Hill deal falls over so may the Bruce deal. I still think pick 12 will be involved, but the Saints will probably offer a pick (or better pick) back to the Bulldogs if the Hill deal goes well.

IMO the value of traded picks will depend on the Hill deal. From St Kilda’s perspective it’s probably about the net outcome of both deals rather than the net outcome of each individual trade (if you understand what I mean). And I think that’s what complicates the Bruce trade from a Bulldogs perspective who are looking at the trade in isolation (and understandably so).

It will be a fascinating trade period.
I agree here. I think Bruce's price ends up highly dependent on what happens with Hill. If you guys get an absolute bargain price on Hill, then we probably do on Bruce. If you get absolutely bent over at the trade table, then we probably end up paying overs too. What ultimately matters is your net position at the end of trade period. If the club can look at their hand of ins and outs and be happy, that's all that will matter.
Pick 12 for Bruce + St Kilda future second rounder. Pretty straight-forward.
If we assume no movement in draft position (which is fair when looking at any future picks) that would be Pick 12 for Bruce and Pick 23. Values him at Pick 39 on draft points. That is way too low, if we were to get the Saints future 2nd, we'd need to at least be throwing in one of our 3rds, which brings his value closer to around Pick 23. That's about as good a deal as we could expect, and it's more likely we pay more than that in my opinion

The problem is trying to get Keath and Bruce with our current picks (12 & 30).

I imagine we try and trade our first down and our second up to get fairer currency for the deals, noting three third rounders gives us a bit of currency to help those deals along.

I'd say he is worth a first. In saying that, I can not see why St Kilda want to off-load him. He is a 2 goal a game forward if not more at best and with their incredibly thin forward stocks, it seems like a terrible move.
I think St Kilda will throw the farm at Ben King and confident at getting him so Bruce could be expendable.

Whether or not St Kilda can get B.King is a whole other story tbh.

Interesting:

Omin

Senior List
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think St Kilda will throw the farm at Ben King and confident at getting him so Bruce could be expendable.

Whether or not St Kilda can get B.King is a whole other story tbh.
Yeah because of this Iwould rather go after a future 1st from the Bulldogs then give two 1st to GCS next year. Might be bad for short term but could be very good future move

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure why we really don't rate Bruce, should be cheap and is a strong player for one of our weakest positions. Although I suspect we're looking to play Mihocek as roaming CHF and need a deep R/F as FF (Cox, Cameron etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back