Traded Josh Bruce [traded to Western Bulldogs for #32 and #51]

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints haven’t made finals since 2011. Your list is weak with no identifiable stars, you have a few good players and some serviceable players. You have to cut deep to get the top players, and that includes trading some B forwards, like a Bruce. Bruce will compliment. Naughton and Schache but he is not the answer on his own.

I believe that is the best evidence yet that the Saints won't let Bruce go for pick 30...

They don't need serviceable pick 30s. They need to aim for stars...

Saints fans. Would Scharenberg and a 2nd round pick get it done. I believe your defence is kind of weak and with Savage and Geary both getting older and uncertainties with Roberton, I believe he'd slot perfectly as a mid sized rebounding defender who can perform a few different roles. He does come with his injury concerns but has looked good when he has played.

No attraction to Scharenberg. Pick 35 and Sier.

Lol, a 27 year old who averages 11 possessions a game, 4 marks and 1.5 goals will not cost a 1st round pick. He’s a 3rd rounder at best imo

Hypothetically speaking could this trade be reasonable involving Freo and Melbourne

Ed langdon -- to Dees-- pic 20 - Dockers
B,hill and pick 20 , or pick 24 - to saints- for pick 5
J bruce and pick 20 or 24 - to dogs for picks 12 +30
Freos pick 24 could be used instead of pick 20
If necessary

Just a suggestion

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking could this trade be reasonable involving Freo and Melbourne

Ed langdon -- to Dees-- pic 20 - Dockers
B,hill and pick 20 - to saints- for pick 5
J bruce and pick 20 - dogs for picks 12 +30

Just a suggestion
Not bad. I don’t see why Freo would throw in their pick 20 though. St Kilda should be adding a little to the deal not Freo.

Lol, a 27 year old who averages 11 possessions a game, 4 marks and 1.5 goals will not cost a 1st round pick. He’s a 3rd rounder at best imo
Why would we ever let him go for a 3rd round? He’s worth way more than that to us. And don’t say salary dump cause our cap is more than fine even with Hill coming in. And he’s also still a contacted player

Haha, I love how you come in here and laugh at one suggestion, only to then suggest something far far more laughable yourself! :D

You're looking into those reports too much. You will never read in an article from either Ben, his management or the Sun's that Ben King wants to come home to St Kilda until he actually nominates us - which is inevitable - next year.

As for Bruce, I think it's more likely than not that St Kilda will only trade him for the Dogs first. There may be some negotiation surrounding steak knives but he won't be traded without your first coming to the Saints.
Why say that like you are involved in the goings on within the club. Saying he won't go to the Dogs without their first pick going out. Not hard to actually write IMO instead.

Why say that like you are involved in the goings on within the club. Saying he won't go to the Dogs without their first pick going out. Not hard to actually write IMO instead.
There is 0 chance pick 12 will be involved. Every media report has said a 2nd round pick likely. Only saints fans think 12 is involved

There is 0 chance pick 12 will be involved. Every media report has said a 2nd round pick likely. Only saints fans think 12 is involved
By every media report, you mean the one reporting about this which is the herald sun where it says a second round pick may get it done.

Essentially, no one has any idea what would be involved or what it would take.

Played a lot of his earlier career as a defender for context, is in his prime and has kicked 50 goals before. Absolutely is worth a first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce happy to go if a trade can be organised. Happy to stay if it can't. Looks like he'll only be going if Saints are satisfied. What does that mean trade wise? I reckon late first rounder personally. Not worth it otherwise.

Dogs will swap their abundance of third-rounders out for something resembling a pick 18-25 and hand it over. We've got ample currency to do so.

Ordinarily I'd be hesitant to get our first pick involved in a situation like this, but I honestly don't see who is going to be rated around that pick that we would be interested in. Too many inside mids and flankers (which we have WAY too many of), so we either end up drafting someone we really don't need, or reach for someone we could have taken with a later pick. When considering the context of the draft, and what that Pick 12 is likely to get us, I actually don't mind if we do end up using it (assuming it's not traded elsewhere) since I don't have much interest taking it to the draft.

I am warming to the idea of us using our 1st in this scenario, with something coming back. I wouldn't mind if Saints can somehow acquire an early 2nd (somewhere around Pick 24 from Fremantle, assuming it can somehow be worked into the Hill trade). We could then do something like:

Pick 12 + Pick 48 <--> Bruce + Pick 24.

This happens to value Bruce at precisely Pick 24 in draft points, which is close enough to his debatable value. Maybe slightly unders in draft points, but then once you consider the "premium" of sending a 1st rounder, I think Saints could be satisfied with something like that. There are a bunch of players (KPDs, dynamic smalls, wingers) sitting around that Pick 24 mark, whereas Pick 12 would leave us with another inside midfielder. This would hopefully leave the Saints happy, as well as leaving us with Bruce and a player more suited to our needs

Could well be a first but I doubt it’s 12.
I imagine we trade down pick 12 and trade up pick 30 to have the picks to satisfy the Bruce and the Keath trades. Three third rounders give us ability to trade up as well.

I imagine we trade down pick 12 and trade up pick 30 to have the picks to satisfy the Bruce and the Keath trades. Three third rounders give us ability to trade up as well.
Surely 30 is more than enough for Keath out of contract isn't it?

I'll put my prediction down and suggest pick 12 plus a swap of next year's seconds.

If you guys can find a pick between 12 & 18 then I'm sure the deal will get done.

I'll put my prediction down and suggest pick 12 plus a swap of next year's seconds.

If you guys can find a pick between 12 & 18 then I'm sure the deal will get done.
You do realise the additional swap of second rounders will value Bruce higher than pick 12

I rate Keath pretty highly and Adelaide fans would probably want more.
They look set to lose a number of players so probably have plenty of picks we can work a deal out with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back