Traded Josh Bruce [traded to Western Bulldogs for #32 and #51]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bruce's true value is around pick 25. Those suggesting that a deal will be done for a third round pick, or even a mid to late second round pick have obviously never paid attention during a trade period.
Bruce is a consistent 35-40 goal big forward (probably better in a decent team), is contracted, is not injury prone, has no behavioural issues, and is ~27yrs old. Also crucially the saints don't need to trade him and would be happy to keep him if a good deal doesn't come our way. It would be extremely unlikely that he gets traded for his real value or cheaper, it just won't happen based on countless other trade period examples over the years.
Pick 12 is clearly too much and I'd be surprised to see it being involved in any deal for Bruce. As some others have suggested the dogs might need to split it for a pick around 18, with an exchange of later picks possibly clinching the deal.

I think Bruce's true value is around pick 25. Those suggesting that a deal will be done for a third round pick, or even a mid to late second round pick have obviously never paid attention during a trade period.
Bruce is a consistent 35-40 goal big forward (probably better in a decent team), is contracted, is not injury prone, has no behavioural issues, and is ~27yrs old. Also crucially the saints don't need to trade him and would be happy to keep him if a good deal doesn't come our way. It would be extremely unlikely that he gets traded for his real value or cheaper, it just won't happen based on countless other trade period examples over the years.
Pick 12 is clearly too much and I'd be surprised to see it being involved in any deal for Bruce. As some others have suggested the dogs might need to split it for a pick around 18, with an exchange of later picks possibly clinching the deal.
Langdon to Melbourne for pick 20.

Dogs trade picks 12,48 for picks 20,24.

Dogs keep pick 20 and trade pick 24 for Bruce.

The Saints will be looking for a first round pick as part of a trade involving Bruce or no deal. The club has been consistent in The last 5 years of maintaining a presence in the first round. Hence why Bruce and Carlisle were gettable, for the right price.

If Bruce is worth pick 12, I’d love to know what saints fans think Ben King will be worth if he has a big 2020. I’ll certainly be reflecting in 12 months time.
I don’t think Bruce is worth 12. But I have stated that before. I think that 12 is the overs needed to shake him loose. 18-20 is about right.
As for what I would expect to hand over for Ben King, if given the offer, I personally would hand over pick 12, 2020 Round 1 pick and a fringe player (someone like Lonie, White, Dmac etc) but I would want it completed now, not next year.

I don’t think Bruce is worth 12. But I have stated that before. I think that 12 is the overs needed to shake him loose. 18-20 is about right.
As for what I would expect to hand over for Ben King, if given the offer, I personally would hand over pick 12, 2020 Round 1 pick and a fringe player (someone like Lonie, White, Dmac etc) but I would want it completed now, not next year.
Dogs may as well just go for King themselves if that deal would do it this year.

The Saints will be looking for a first round pick as part of a trade involving Bruce or no deal. The club has been consistent in The last 5 years of maintaining a presence in the first round. Hence why Bruce and Carlisle were gettable, for the right price.
I th in n the assumption is that the dogs will say ok then deal. If its first round or nothing, the dogs might just say, ok then bye.

Dogs may as well just go for King themselves if that deal would do it this year.
Having the currency does not make the trade.
Just ask north Melbourne, Carlton, st Kilda in more recent years.
It would not be a hard ask to get Ben himself to change teams to St Kilda. It would take work to go the dogs (not heaps, but some).
It’s a combination of what both clubs want, as well as the player.

Having the currency does not make the trade.
Just ask north Melbourne, Carlton, st Kilda in more recent years.
It would not be a hard ask to get Ben himself to change teams to St Kilda. It would take work to go the dogs (not heaps, but some).
It’s a combination of what both clubs want, as well as the player.
We’ve already asked the question and he’s very keen but won’t leave this year due to wanting to avoid a pressure situation like Tom Boyd was put under. He’d also be keen on the Saints for obvious reasons.

That's a pretty good suggestion - 20 and 24 will drift out a bit, but those picks should get both Bruce and Keath across the line for us.

Subject to other trades, with pick 30 and three third rounders we'd probably try to trade our second rounder up a little afterwards and/or grab an extra 2020 pick somewhere.

That's a pretty good suggestion - 20 and 24 will drift out a bit, but those picks should get both Bruce and Keath across the line for us.

Subject to other trades, with pick 30 and three third rounders we'd probably try to trade our second rounder up a little afterwards and/or grab an extra 2020 pick somewhere.
But it won't though. Maybe Keath.

Saints will not trade Bruce unless its for a first round pick. There is no point. He's worth more to us than a pick in the 20's.

It's a simple one given he's contracted, pay overs or what Saints feel is comfortable to trade a 40 goal, top 5 contested mark forward, or he stays.

But it won't though. Maybe Keath.

Saints will not trade Bruce unless its for a first round pick. There is no point. He's worth more to us than a pick in the 20's.

It's a simple one given he's contracted, pay overs or what Saints feel is comfortable to trade a 40 goal, top 5 contested mark forward, or he stays.
That's the Saints right, but I doubt you'd even entertain trading Bruce if basic terms between the Saints and Bulldogs weren't already agreed to and you needed the draft currency for other acquisitions (Zac Jones?).

Pick 12 is too high, our pick 30 too low. In the eyes of most Bulldog fans, Alex Keath is the bigger need anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the Saints right, but I doubt you'd even entertain trading Bruce if basic terms between the Saints and Bulldogs weren't already agreed to and you needed the draft currency for other acquisitions (Zac Jones?).

Pick 12 is too high, our pick 30 too low. In the eyes of most Bulldog fans, Alex Keath is the bigger need anyway.
I think Keath is a bigger need and will come cheaper.

There's more to the Bruce trade than we know obviously. He'll be involved in another trade whether its direct or not..

And it won't be for Jones or Hill.

I think Keath is a bigger need and will come cheaper.

There's more to the Bruce trade than we know obviously. He'll be involved in another trade whether its direct or not..

And it won't be for Jones or Hill.
Yeah, I think even most Bulldogs fans recognise Bruce wouldn't be gettable if the saints had a second and third rounder available this year.
With Bruce having currency and Max King waiting in the wings it's liek the perfect storm that makes him remotely gettable.

FWIW a few bulldog posters were posting up a few social media posts from Bruce (letters to fans, visits, etc). Certainly meets the 'solid citizen' criteria off field too.

Yeah, I think even most Bulldogs fans recognise Bruce wouldn't be gettable if the saints had a second and third rounder available this year.
With Bruce having currency and Max King waiting in the wings it's liek the perfect storm that makes him remotely gettable.

FWIW a few bulldog posters were posting up a few social media posts from Bruce (letters to fans, visits, etc). Certainly meets the 'solid citizen' criteria off field too.
Yep. No one wants to see him leave due to his character. That’s what will make the trade hurt more than just the on field work. Good bloke.

I don't get it, surely he is worth more than pick 25 to you guys? Why not keep him?

Which is why Bruce will not be changing clubs for a second rounder.
What if he wants out and him and his manager have instigated it? What if it’s been triggered by St Kilda only offering him an extra year making it clear they intend on phasing him out for King? What if St Kilda have 2-3 deals lined up but have nothing to trade with between 5-55 and Bruce makes most sense to get something in that range? Every report on this has suggested a second rounder will be enough to satisfy St Kilda.

What if he wants out and him and his manager have instigated it? What if it’s been triggered by St Kilda only offering him an extra year making it clear they intend on phasing him out for King? What if St Kilda have 2-3 deals lined up but have nothing to trade with between 5-55 and Bruce makes most sense to get something in that range? Every report on this has suggested a second rounder will be enough to satisfy St Kilda.
Sorry, Big Footy reports? Or actual reports?

Sorry, Big Footy reports? Or actual reports?
Pretty much every journalist report has said a second rounder will get it done. Mainly the HUN as they seem to be the main ones running with it. To be honest I’d be surprised if other teams don’t also come in for him. He makes sense for a few teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back