Traded Josh Bruce [traded to Western Bulldogs for #32 and #51]

Remove this Banner Ad

Landsberger’s article says we intend to play Bruce close to goal, meaning Naughton will get to play true CHF next year. I reckon that’s his best position, being able to run at the ball at HF and wing without being impeded.

Plenty of times this year Naughton would clunk a huge mark on the wing or HF and I’d think ‘I wish he could kick it to himself’. With Bruce, that’s essentially what we’ve got now.

Naughton’s also a beast when he gets a run and jump at the ball I50 and defenders won’t be able to easily sag off Bruce to impede Naughton inside 50, and vice versa.

Hopefully Schache will be able to use his massive tank as a Tom Lynch (Crows) type link up player now without needing him to spend any time anchored inside 50, which would suit him too.

I really do expect Naughton to be more or less unstoppable when allowed to roam far and wide. He is really fast, really athletic and has hands like velcro coated magnets.

Landsberger’s article says we intend to play Bruce close to goal, meaning Naughton will get to play true CHF next year. I reckon that’s his best position, being able to run at the ball at HF and wing without being impeded.

Interesting. Developing Naughton will be I assume the Dog's main priority, and rightly so. However one of Bruce's main attributes is that he has an absolutely huge tank and can run all day. Not quite as good as Roo's was, but close. Some of his best football for us was when he was up the ground.

Interesting. Developing Naughton will be I assume the Dog's main priority, and rightly so. However one of Bruce's main attributes is that he has an absolutely huge tank and can run all day. Not quite as good as Roo's was, but close. Some of his best football for us was when he was up the ground.
They will both rotate between the roles I reckon. No one has a set position when it comes to the Bulldogs

Bulldogs over paying for a mediocre KPF again because they can't develop their own, what a win for them.

Amazing how a North supporter like you is more interested in the Bulldogs than your own club.

So Einstein, if Bruce is mediocre, tell us all who you have developed over the last 5 years?

Gotta love fans during trade week. Any time a player is up for trade.

"He's a gun and one of our best players, we want the highest possible reward for them"

After trade it processed for less.

"Eh, we didn't need him anyway, he's s**t"

For mine the biggest steal of the period. The guy is every chance to kick 40 plus next year and help them genuinely contend. If the doggies wouldn't put up their first for a significant downgrade (late second/early third back) I think they'd have been foolish but Saints blinked first.

For mine the biggest steal of the period. The guy is every chance to kick 40 plus next year and help them genuinely contend. If the doggies wouldn't put up their first for a significant downgrade (late second/early third back) I think they'd have been foolish but Saints blinked first.
Yep, agreed.

Averaging between 35-40 goals a season for the last 3-4 seasons playing for a bottom 6 side.

Put him in a side with a dominant midfield and can easily see him kicking 40-50 goals a season. Him leaving is a big reason I think Saints might tread water for a season or two while Max King gets up to speed.

This and the Steven trade takes the shine off an otherwise great trade period for the Saints.

Gotta love fans during trade week. Any time a player is up for trade.

"He's a gun and one of our best players, we want the highest possible reward for them"

After trade it processed for less.

"Eh, we didn't need him anyway, he's s**t"
goes the other way as well. Dogs and Geelong now bleating on about how good this bloke could be, whilst previously downplaying his abilities

goes the other way as well. Dogs and Geelong now bleating on about how good this bloke could be, whilst previously downplaying his abilities
I was implying all teams. Just finding it amusing how much people seem to care about a player, until they are in another club top, then they are a nobody.

I was implying all teams. Just finding it amusing how much people seem to care about a player, until they are in another club top, then they are a nobody.
its pretty standard behaviour. Always has been. loyalty is still a thing in the AFL and I hope it remains so for a long time

So Einstein, if Bruce is mediocre, tell us all who you have developed over the last 5 years?

Well apart from Bruce there is also Membrey and McCartin was showing signs of developing into a good KPF until his concussion issues sidelined him.

How many KPFs have Collingwood developed in the last 5 years? Mason Cox is the only one that comes to mind and he's mostly pretty ordinary.

Well apart from Bruce there is also Membrey and McCartin was showing signs of developing into a good KPF until his concussion issues sidelined him.

How many KPFs have Collingwood developed in the last 5 years? Mason Cox is the only one that comes to mind and he's mostly pretty ordinary.

Didn’t two of those players you just mentioned come from other clubs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t two of those players you just mentioned come from other clubs?

Bruce and Membrey weren't established KPFs until they came to St Kilda, Bruce was playing as a defender at GWS while Membrey was just a fringe player at the Swans who was struggling to get a game.

McCartin the number 1 pick in the draft who is very ordinary and a massive fail. Membery is the best you’ve got? We had to give you Brown.
Try Moore who will be All Australian. What about Mihocek who came across as a VFL backman and averages the same amount of goals as Membery). DeGoey?

Bulldogs over paying for a mediocre KPF again because they can't develop their own, what a win for them.

Amazing how a North supporter like you is more interested in the Bulldogs than your own club.
LOL least we didn't overpay for a dud who injures himself going up stairs!

We've admitted as much. Lethlean said today that if we were only dealing with Bruce, there was no way would have accepted what we did and would have demanded more. But we just took those picks so we could get our other deals done.
So why the chest beating early on by Lethlean? Contrast him with Power who barely said a word to the media until it was done.

Bruce and Membrey weren't established KPFs until they came to St Kilda, Bruce was playing as a defender at GWS while Membrey was just a fringe player at the Swans who was struggling to get a game.

Ahh the salt.

We drafted and turned Naughton into a key forward and going by your logic Schache falls into the same boat as Membrey considering he was struggling at Brisbane.

You’ve just brought in 5 players from other clubs because you struggle to draft and develop your own. Pipe down

We've admitted as much. Lethlean said today that if we were only dealing with Bruce, there was no way would have accepted what we did and would have demanded more. But we just took those picks so we could get our other deals done.
How noble of him. Now on every dogs fan Xmas card list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back