Josh Caddy - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Blake played in a premiership team. Not everyone that does is good.

In terms of complimenting Joel Selwood and Danger, I'll take the guy that averaged 10.7 tackles per game this season. But that's just me I guess and my "conflict of interest".
OK - We are very happy with this trade, and all he brings. Anyway you only lost him becuase you chased Deledio - does that console you?

Looks like we've got another moron on our hands. Welcome to BigFooty, you're going to fit in real well.

So let's get this straight - you stupidly ask whether Menegola stood up or went missing compared to Caddy.

Caddy played forward in a team that flogged every opponent by 6 goals +, yet he only kicked 4 goals (whilst averaging 15 possessions). Meanwhile Menegola played in a side that got completely pantsed twice, yet he still managed to kick 3 goals and average 21 possessions.

Now you tell me who stood up for their team and who coasted through the games? The answer is obvious to everyone, but take your time.

The player whose team won. You're right that was obvious almost like individual stats <> team play? Just because no one else wants to pull their finger out doesn't make that player better. Lets call it the Tom Mitchell effect.

Riewoldt and Cotchin are miles better than they have been their whole career yet they kick less goals and get less possessions. Looks like we have another moron that watches the stats on his phone rather than the game. You know it's actually true that you can do a lot without the ball, they don't just say it to give Cyril an out for being a below average player (by your standards I assume).

The player whose team won. You're right that was obvious almost like individual stats <> team play? Just because no one else wants to pull their finger out doesn't make that player better. Lets call it the Tom Mitchell effect.

Riewoldt and Cotchin are miles better than they have been their whole career yet they kick less goals and get less possessions. Looks like we have another moron that watches the stats on his phone rather than the game. You know it's actually true that you can do a lot without the ball, they don't just say it to give Cyril an out for being a below average player (by your standards I assume).

LOL

You guys traded him to us. He played in premiership team. FACTS!

I thought it was a super trade, he’s been great for the Tigers

853fef95e80b135922ad58cbb81e816c.jpg

He’s a bull, love his work

8255b2818c96bd9a8dafb36b60a92c31.jpg

The question is, who would u prefer between Caddy and Scooter getting minutes at your club...I think the answer is obvious for nearly everyone, but at Geelong there was a conflict of interest.

You're right, the answer is obvious to nearly everyone.
Scott took his spot in the midfield last year, and had a better season this year.

You're falling into the age old trap "My guy was better than your guy in 2017 because he won the Premiership."
It's a fun time.

Remember thinking he'd be a star when he kicked a ripper in the Geelong v Hawthorn PF which should have been the sealer if Burgoyne didn't have something to say about it, but he only improved slightly after that.

Solid role player, nothing wrong with that. Hardly integral to the premiership as some Tigers are claiming, I might have been born at night, but not last night!

Geelong must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. Is an absolute jet of a player who has become a key cog in Richmond's machine. I firmly believe Geelong would have had a better chance if he was still a part of their team. He is a criminally underrated player who has all the key attributes of a great football player. Clean hands, elite disposal and a hard tackler with some wheels on him. He was my pick for the Norm Smith medal and player of the finals. Kicked some great goals this finals series and was an out and out gun.

What do you guy think? Do you think Geelong will be shattered he left them?
source.gif

While you do raise some good points, blind Freddy could see that Menegola (I assume that’s who the cats player is - I didn’t bother reading further up) has been a very, very handy inclusion for us and while I’ve said numerous times that I’m very happy for caddy who has found a home and a defined role, I am more than happy to have Menegola if I have to choose one over the other. Caddy just wasn’t the right fit for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was pretty good for Geelong in 2015, when allowed to play his natural position. Got pushed out of the middle in 2016 upon Dangerfield's arrival, and would probably be surplus to requirements if he was still there.

I don't really see why Richmond recruited him, if they're not going to play him in the guts. He's mediocre as an outside mid or forward, because he's got average pace and foot skills, and the need for extra grunt in the middle is covered by the recruitment of Dion Prestia and (if you were looking at players already there) Anthony Miles, hence why Caddy spent most of the year in the forward line and playing bits and pieces elsewhere.

The twist to all this is that Caddy being a Premiership player with a couple more years worth of medals in him can be traded back to the Cats in a few years as a role model for the young Cats while Geelong embark on their rebuild. Parfitt can be traded to the Tigers along with a future 1st round pick for Caddy (a fair trade for a former 1st rounder with multiple Premierships) to give young Parfitt the chance to fulfill his childhood dream of playing in a Premiership. Winner-winner-Chicken dinner!

He was pretty good for Geelong in 2015, when allowed to play his natural position. Got pushed out of the middle in 2016 upon Dangerfield's arrival, and would probably be surplus to requirements if he was still there.

I don't really see why Richmond recruited him, if they're not going to play him in the guts. He's mediocre as an outside mid or forward, because he's got average pace and foot skills, and the need for extra grunt in the middle is covered by the recruitment of Dion Prestia and (if you were looking at players already there) Anthony Miles, hence why Caddy spent most of the year in the forward line and playing bits and pieces elsewhere.
He was recruited to the Tigers for more midfield minutes but they didn't have taller forward options so he stayed forward doing an important role whilst Vlaustin originally before injury then Lambert, maybe a bit of C Ellis then Miles then eventually Graham took that midfield spot. He was just too valuable forward.

He's helped with a premiership in a role he wasn't intended to play but all the more power too him. He's not the first and won't be the last player to do that.

I think at some stage (maybe even next year) the Tigers will get a 2nd key forward and put Caddy back in the middle and maybe give Dusty more forward time or play Prestia and Cotchin on the wings to ease their work loads.

You're right, the answer is obvious to nearly everyone.
Scott took his spot in the midfield last year, and had a better season this year.

You're falling into the age old trap "My guy was better than your guy in 2017 because he won the Premiership."
It's a fun time.
Yeah, well I can't really say but I doubt he had more MID minutes at Richmond this year than Geelong ? So his original reason for leaving didn't pan out.

BUT without him, we don't win the premiership.

At the very least, the Caddy trade finally buries the ghost of Brad Ottens. Brad turned his back on us to be integral to a Geelong premiership, nice to have Caddy do the same for our benefit this time.

So many ghosts buried by a flag!

Remember thinking he'd be a star when he kicked a ripper in the Geelong v Hawthorn PF which should have been the sealer if Burgoyne didn't have something to say about it, but he only improved slightly after that.

Solid role player, nothing wrong with that. Hardly integral to the premiership as some Tigers are claiming, I might have been born at night, but not last night!

Agree, a solid role player but played his role very well in the GF. Could we have asked for more from a player in his first year at a new club? Sure Josh wasn’t integral in the GF the way Dusty or Cotch or Rance were, but his toughness and strength in the contest to get the ball was awesome. I felt he was strong contributor on the day, kicked the first goal for the Tiges, and has slotted in nicely in the H&A season.

Expecting more from him in 2018.

The question is, who would u prefer between Caddy and Scooter getting minutes at your club...I think the answer is obvious for nearly everyone, but at Geelong there was a conflict of interest.

People overlook the fact that Scott Selwood is one of the best defensive mids in the game, and is a crucial "space maker" for other mids around him when his team has the ball.

Caddy - 12, 16, 17 touches and 1, 1, 2 goals
Menegola - 23, 26 and 15 touches and 1, 2, 0 goals

You tell us?
Using s/coach as a better measure of effectiveness - 57, 141, 59 for Menegola and 90, 70, 80 for Caddy. I actually rate Menagola but can't see the relevance of him to Caddy - they could have had both.

Using s/coach as a better measure of effectiveness - 57, 141, 59 for Menegola and 90, 70, 80 for Caddy. I actually rate Menagola but can't see the relevance of him to Caddy - they could have had both.

Well put, shows that Caddy is a reliable quality team player. But didn't you know in Aussie Rules the team with the most disposals at the end of the game is declared the winner? It is what makes Tom Mitchell such a feared player throughout the league.

Eitherway the Cats probably didn't need both, but to keep a former pick #7 as insurance seems a heck of a lot smarter than trading him for a 3rd round pick downgrade and late first rounder. Especially if the player recruited is a generic undersized half back flanker, I mean they can call him a midfielder if they want I'd call him a liability.

Knowing that the 3rd round exchange netted Richmond Jack Graham makes it even more ridiculous, I don't think Parfitt will be tagging Sloane out of a game anytime soon.

Yeah, well I can't really say but I doubt he had more MID minutes at Richmond this year than Geelong ? So his original reason for leaving didn't pan out.

BUT without him, we don't win the premiership.

At the very least, the Caddy trade finally buries the ghost of Brad Ottens. Brad turned his back on us to be integral to a Geelong premiership, nice to have Caddy do the same for our benefit this time.

So many ghosts buried by a flag!

Looking back over the "what if's" becomes a much more enjoyable exercise after a Premiership.

It's a great time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back