Josh Caddy - The one that got away

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
There are some arguments in here that are essentially the same as saying ‘you know how we traded you the number one pick in next years draft, and you gave us so-and-so who is now in the best 5-6 players in our team? Yeah we smashed you in that trade.’

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Caddy will be close to AA this year. He has had a great year. Very good player. Obviously Geelong could do with him but you can't win them all.

Jul 27, 2006
2 towns over
AFL Club
Geelong
Using that logic Hawkins should also miss AA selection

Kind of a non sequitur there dude. TH’s worthiness for the AA team has zilch to do with this thread.

An RFC fan said he’d make it this year.

That’s impossible.

From R12-20 not once did he have >19 touches or >2 goals; he had 2x2 goals 4x1 and 2 games without a goal.

A player cannot make an AA team and not put up a single AA worthy performance in an 8 game stretch.

He also had 2 other quiet games earlier in the season that were not AA worthy - Brisbane and WCE.

An AA is entitled to a few lacklustre performances; Josh Caddy in 2018 has had ten.

You can’t make an AA team with an output like that.

ThaiTiger

Cancelled
May 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Kind of a non sequitur there dude. TH’s worthiness for the AA team has zilch to do with this thread.

An RFC fan said he’d make it this year.

That’s impossible.

From R12-20 not once did he have >19 touches or >2 goals; he had 2x2 goals 4x1 and 2 games without a goal.

A player cannot make an AA team and not put up a single AA worthy performance in an 8 game stretch.

He also had 2 other quiet games earlier in the season that were not AA worthy - Brisbane and WCE.

An AA is entitled to a few lacklustre performances; Josh Caddy in 2018 has had ten.

You can’t make an AA team with an output like that.
Ok then...... fair call...........

I'll trade you a spot in the AA side for a spot in a Premiership team.

Jul 27, 2006
2 towns over
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok then...... fair call...........

I'll trade you a spot in the AA side for a spot in a Premiership team.
Sure.

But that doesn’t have much to do with Geelong.

If he went to Carlton or Brisbane and he won consecutive Colemans that would have seriously embarrassed us. What the team does has nothing to do with these sorts of discussions. It’s about the performance of an individual player.

FWIW I’m 100% sure Richmond still wins the 2017 flag and 2018 minor (and also in all likelihood major) premiership without this trade. IIRC he was 19th in the B&F and the 15th (?) best RFC player in the GF and 12th (?) in the PF.

ThaiTiger

Cancelled
May 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Sure.

But that doesn’t have much to do with Geelong.

If he went to Carlton or Brisbane and he won consecutive Colemans that would have seriously embarrassed us. What the team does has nothing to do with these sorts of discussions. It’s about the performance of an individual player.

FWIW I’m 100% sure Richmond still wins the 2017 flag and 2018 minor (and also in all likelihood major) premiership without this trade. IIRC he was 19th in the B&F and the 15th (?) best RFC player in the GF and 12th (?) in the PF.
Right place at the right time and probably a greater understanding of the player he is, as a forward, rather than what he thought he was as a midfielder. Maturity. Plays second fiddle to Jack beautifully and most of the time you only need one really firing with the support they get to win the 4 points.

He’s kicked multiple goals in 14 of his 19 games and in another where he kicked one (last week) he was in our best half dozen.

Caddy has kicked multiple goals 10 times in his 19 games.

Suprise surprise.

Teams only focal point kicks more goals than a teams second/third choice forward.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
That's hypothetical.

In 71 games he kicked 59 goals at Geelong, he's already surpassed that at Richmond.

In his first 120 games he kicked 4 goals once, he's done it 6 times in his last 16 games.

I was a big fan of Caddy at Geelong and didn't want to trade him. But his output wasn't good enough for us and there wasn't much showing it'd change.

I'm glad he's completely changed his career at Richmond.

A very similar story to Varcoe, who looked like being a future superstar in 2010 and was practically a liability at the end of his time at Geelong.

Caddy was never as bad as Varcoe's last few seasons, but he'd had more than enough opportunity to show that he was better than an OK player and given us plenty of evidence that he was never going to be better than that at Geelong.

My most recent memory of Ottens was when he rang that stupid bell at last years QF and not a single person could hear it because of the Tiger noise. How embarrassing
Thanks for sharing that piece of information. Not sure what your point is, ut no doubt you have some idea

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Thanks for sharing that piece of information. Not sure what your point is, ut no doubt you have some idea

He's a battler this bloke.

and Tigers will settle for blanketing the opposition best midfielder and kicking three in a Grand Final. ;-)

I think Graham is going to be one of those players that opposition clubs eventually wake up to how important he is to how we play, will be similar to Yeo at WCE.

You'd think nearly 12 months later he'd have something else Tigers supporters could mention when they constantly bring up Jack Graham.

I think he'll do well to reach Shane Ellen's 65 game career.

Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Caddy a slightly above average player, in the peak of his career, playing in The premier team that’s fowards work together and for each other.
Watch him fade into obscurity once the Tiger window closes. And then disappear ala Michael Osbourne. Remember him? Only just

You'd think nearly 12 months later he'd have something else Tigers supporters could mention when they constantly bring up Jack Graham.

Whilst I don't really agree with this troll thread being on the main board, and we won't really know if the trade is a win/win for at least a couple of years, Graham is doing pretty well for a second year player I would have thought.

Anyway I don't think it's a bad thing for trades to be win/win.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
The last time Geelong played the Tiges and Jack Graham, he burried you, 13 tackles and 98 pressure pts, your players were hearing footsteps for the majority of the game.

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Whilst I don't really agree with this troll thread being on the main board, and we won't really know if the trade is a win/win for at least a couple of years, Graham is doing pretty well for a second year player I would have thought.

Anyway I don't think it's a bad thing for trades to be win/win.

He's getting games in a very good side, so he must be doing something right.

The last time Geelong played the Tiges and Jack Graham, he burried you, 13 tackles and 98 pressure pts, your players were hearing footsteps for the majority of the game.

If you say so.

Back