Traded Josh Caddy [traded to Richmond with pick 56 for picks 24 and 64]

Remove this Banner Ad

Started rather poorly, saw him running without purpose/without putting himself in a position to get the ball a few times, but slowly as the game went on he looked like he was gelling with the Tigers team more. Ended up being a pass game.
Promising signs. Not a gun but a definite upgrade in the midfield on the 2016 Miles, Grigg, B.Ellis etc.

As for Parfitt I think he needs to do a bit more than simply make his debut to be talked up.

Caddy averaged 20 disposals and a goal last year. Parfitt would need to perform at least that well this year in order to justify the trade, as Geelong need immediate success to justify the Dangerfield trade.

Parfitt's not important to the trade from Geelong's perspective in the short term. From Geelong's point of view we lost Caddy so we could afford Tuohy. We need someone like Menegola, Cockatoo or GHS to step up and replace Caddy which is a chance. The chance of replacing Enright in any real way was slim hence we traded in Tuohy. If one of our depth mids step up then this could be a real win for us because we cover the outgoing player ok and get the chance to bring in a vital cog in the backline. It should also work out pretty well for the Tigers since he's the right age to help their current team.

Caddy was quite stinky last night, loves to downhill ski...thought Cats lost this trade originally but can see why they were fed up with Caddy after watching him live last night. His mature body will help the midfield rotation for Tigs but can't see him kicking on to reach the potential he had when originally drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key for Caddy is whether he gets gametime as an inside mid at Richmond, as that's where he does his best work. In theory he should, as he's a better footballer than someone like Anthony Miles, and it will free up Cotchin, Martin and Grigg more if Caddy and Prestia are doing the grunt work.

Caddy averaged 20 disposals, 5 clearances and 5 tackles in just 72% gametime in 2015 at Geelong, but with the acquisition of Patrick Dangerfield, he was pushed onto the outside a bit more, and became a bit lost and ineffective, with his ratio of handballs to kicks increasing, and his tackle and clearance numbers down significantly, despite increased gametime. Hopefully he can get back to what he does best at Richmond, for his own sake as well as for the Tigers'.

Parfitt's not important to the trade from Geelong's perspective in the short term. From Geelong's point of view we lost Caddy so we could afford Tuohy. We need someone like Menegola, Cockatoo or GHS to step up and replace Caddy which is a chance. The chance of replacing Enright in any real way was slim hence we traded in Tuohy. If one of our depth mids step up then this could be a real win for us because we cover the outgoing player ok and get the chance to bring in a vital cog in the backline. It should also work out pretty well for the Tigers since he's the right age to help their current team.

I think they call that a win-win. Fills needs for both teams as well as putting both players in a position to flourish. Caddy more midfield time and Tuohy in a better team where he can really be utilised.
Parfitt looks handy as well so that's a bonus.

I think they call that a win-win. Fills needs for both teams as well as putting both players in a position to flourish. Caddy more midfield time and Tuohy in a better team where he can really be utilised.
Parfitt looks handy as well so that's a bonus.

That's certainly the hope. From Richmonds point of view it should be somewhere from break even to a solid win if Caddy improves further. For Geelong I think it's more risk and reward. It could leave us with an extra hole on our list we can't cover or if we cover Caddy and Tuohy is important it could be a master stroke. Overall I think it's good business from Richmond and the sort of risk Geelong had to take to give them any shot at a premiership over the next few years.

I don't get all this Caddy talk, outsiders never considered him to be good when he was at the cats.
It was and still is according to the footy world a club with Dangerwood and that's it. No one discussed Caddy ever.
Why now is he suddenly someone to tiger fans and neutrals? I heard him described as an A grader recently but when at the cats he was a B grader at best. It's amazing what a change of clubs can do to inflate someone's opinion.
He can be a handy player but really he is neither here nor there.
I'll remember him for kicking our final goal against the Hawks in the qualifying final. I was sitting in Row A at half back flank and he looked cooked but managed to run forward and get the vital goal.
Has his moments.

Caddy averaged 20 disposals and a goal last year. Parfitt would need to perform at least that well this year in order to justify the trade, as Geelong need immediate success to justify the Dangerfield trade.

As long as Parfitt doesn't mark the ball and take 5 seconds to dispose when we're collectively moving the ball upfield. He can get 5 disposals a game like Rioli and still be better than Caddy.

Caddy was never expected to be a star and with our drafting record outside the first round a 2nd round pick was right on the money

he had 17 touches at 82%de, 2 tackles and a goal, pinch hitting through the middle last night.

Most Richmond supporters would be happy if he averaged 20 touches and a goal this season, certainly better than whoever we would have drafted with the pick.

Thread smacks of cats supporters trying to big note themselves

Caddy was never expected to be a star and with our drafting record outside the first round a 2nd round pick was right on the money

he had 17 touches at 82%de, 2 tackles and a goal, pinch hitting through the middle last night.

Most Richmond supporters would be happy if he averaged 20 touches and a goal this season, certainly better than whoever we would have drafted with the pick.

Thread smacks of cats supporters trying to big note themselves
some very insecure cats supporters

Will never truly understand how we agreed to do this trade. It was a shocking decision at the time (he was contracted ffs) and it will always look bad in hindsight.

He's not a superstar, but far more valuable than what we got for him, especially as he was contracted.

Just a terrible judgement of error on our behalf, and any cats supporter saying otherwise is really kidding themselves.

Parfitt may turn out alright, but that doesn't excuse the poor negotiation and trade we did at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cream on the top is the first rounder that Geelong overpaid for Tuohy is in Richmond's kit bag. :thumbsu:

I have to say you did well fleecing gws of a first and third rounder for a player who will be lucky to play another 20 games imo (i know thats a side point to this thread but still seems relevant).

I see the Tiger boys are up and about. A "big" win against Carlton (!) with Dusty playing a blinder and Prestia very good also.

But this thread is about Caddy, and if his performance last night was anything to go by, there's little reason to be up and about just yet.

Caddy's soccer goal from Dusty's torp was a highlight, but overall I don't think Caddy set the world on fire. At this stage it's way too early to declare a winner of this trade.

It will be interesting to see how Parfitt goes, being named in Geelong's round one side and all. Either way, whether he plays well or not, it's irrelevant.

At this stage, both teams appear to be winners. Parfitt has shown plenty of promise while Caddy offers midfield depth and is clearly in Richmond's best 22.

If, at this stage, the Tiger boys want to claim victory; go right ahead. It's important for fans to have hope. Jeez, it could all come unstuck if Dusty doesn't sign on, though...

Nothing wrong with coughing up a second round pick for him. The Tigers were in a position where they had to recruit mature aged guys and if a second tier like Caddy was on the market, you'd do that trade very single day of the week. What's a Parfitt or Begley or someone going to do in the short term for them?

Nothing wrong with coughing up a second round pick for him. The Tigers were in a position where they had to recruit mature aged guys and if a second tier like Caddy was on the market, you'd do that trade very single day of the week. What's a Parfitt or Begley or someone going to do in the short term for them?

stengle or bolton might get off the leash if they sneak into the side

I see the Tiger boys are up and about. A "big" win against Carlton (!) with Dusty playing a blinder and Prestia very good also.

But this thread is about Caddy, and if his performance last night was anything to go by, there's little reason to be up and about just yet.

Caddy's soccer goal from Dusty's torp was a highlight, but overall I don't think Caddy set the world on fire. At this stage it's way too early to declare a winner of this trade.

It will be interesting to see how Parfitt goes, being named in Geelong's round one side and all. Either way, whether he plays well or not, it's irrelevant.

At this stage, both teams appear to be winners. Parfitt has shown plenty of promise while Caddy offers midfield depth and is clearly in Richmond's best 22.

If, at this stage, the Tiger boys want to claim victory; go right ahead. It's important for fans to have hope. Jeez, it could all come unstuck if Dusty doesn't sign on, though...

Lol,here we go.
#weareeveryonesgrandfinal

Caddy was quite stinky last night, loves to downhill ski...thought Cats lost this trade originally but can see why they were fed up with Caddy after watching him live last night. His mature body will help the midfield rotation for Tigs but can't see him kicking on to reach the potential he had when originally drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously not, considering he was drafted at 7, traded for the Ablett compo pick, and then traded for pick 24 which is about his value as a B-grade 2nd tier midfielder.

Tigers just need good 2nd tier mids who can compete when Dusty, Cotchin and Prestia aren't there and they've go one in Caddy.

it was a geelol supporter who bumped this......oh dear me :$:$:$

all they need him to do is a play a role

you sound a bit desperate

maybe he will go to geelong
Parfitt could spud it up and I'd be the first to admit we got shafted in the trade. Some trades you win, others you lose. In this case, it could be a win for both.

Caddy plays a role for your club. He played a role for ours, too. But, I think with where the two clubs and their lists are at, he's perhaps better suited at Richmond.

Imagine Dusty at Geelong? We'd be unstoppable. In all seriousness, hopefully Dusty stays loyal to the club which backed him through some pretty dark moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back