DavidInellaFanClub

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2005
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Went to the game last night, was really really pleased with his work around the contests. I know he's been slowly progressing but I saw things last night that assure me he is going to be a leader of the footy club in coming years.

Kicked goals, which he has been doing more often. Tackled hard and was just the guy who wanted the ball the most in almost every contest. Assumed the mantle from the skipper who was restricted due to the tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caddy and Guthrie IMO both face similar issues. They are at the stage where they are ready to do more in games, shoulder more of the load, but right now they are testing the limits and sometimes get caught out trying to do too much. I think that's the big thing that good players develop between 50 games experience and one with 100 games. The talented player with 100+ games has learned what they can and can't get away with.

Both are already good players, just not yet making the most of their talents.

Another 8 clearances. If he can start finding it 20+ times a week consistently he's going to be a very damaging player. Goes forward and instantly looks like a threat with this strong marking and size. Good to see him step up with Selwood being quiet and Duncan out. Good 4 qtr effort last night to build his season on.

I'm not sure if he's really inconsistent or they are throwing different roles at him to develop multiple sides to his game.

He is on his way. I heard him interviewed aft the game and was surprised how natural and comfortable he was (no cliches or nervous responses). I've said it before, and I will stick to my guns - he is a future captain of Geelong

I'm a big Caddy fan but some people expect too much from him. How many midfielders are influencing games each week when they've played 60-70 games as Josh has? Very few and the ones that do (like Adam Treloar) are regarded as future Brownlow winners. Even Duncan took until last season and the 80-game mark when he became a reliable contributor every week. When Cadds is good he is very good - see last night, and last year's semi final v North Melbourne. He clearly has all the tools to be an elite mid - tough, courageous, good acceleration, kicks goals. I for one don't expect him to do it every week, as much as i'd like him to, at this stage of his career. I think he is tracking along as well as we could have hoped.

last night was a perfect example of where he currently is at. Almost set to break out but not quite there either. He had racked up 21 disposals to three quarter time but in the final quarter, he only touched the ball two times and finished off with 23 disposals. All his best work was done in the third quarter where he had something like 10 touches along with goals + goal assists.
It's just that one quarter in games where he literally goes unsighted.

What you cannot ignore about Caddy though, and this is where he stands out from most of his other younger teammates (bar Duncan), he lifts like Selwood does when the team is getting challenged. That's a superstar quality in itself. I'm confident he becomes an elite midfielder of the competition. He's not far away now. We will see this is the coming weeks as he elevates his game.

With Duncan's injury, I see Caddy & Guthrie being our two main improvers throughout the centre this year. Now for consistency of course to build.

23 clearances in 3 weeks! Can someone clarify whether this is right or not? I'm pretty sure that it is but I'm only going off my memory which can sometimes be dangerous. :oops:

If so, I think that he's starting to find consistency with his inside game but he just didn't find any outside ball against the Swans which is something that he needs to keep working on with the coaches in order to make sure that he gets to the right spots at the right times to stay involved in the game.

He puts s**t teams to the sword but is a downhill skier when it comes to standing up against tough oppostion. He needs another year before that gap is bridged. One thing is for sure, he's talented enough to go a long way. Duncan, Caddy, Selwood, Blitz and hopefully Danger will be a formidable midfield group in 2016 and beyond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He puts s**t teams to the sword but is a downhill skier when it comes to standing up against tough oppostion. He needs another year before that gap is bridged. One thing is for sure, he's talented enough to go a long way. Duncan, Caddy, Selwood, Blitz and hopefully Danger will be a formidable midfield group in 2016 and beyond.

Very true. That's why his performance against North in past years SF was so impressive! Now just needs to get that consistency. Has a good chance now with him getting quite a lot of Duncan's midfield minutes.

I expect to much from him, just looking at him physically you'd think he was 28yo with 150 games under his belt not 22yo with 60 odd games.

He's a slow burn Imo, if you look at his time here he's come on every season gradually hopefully his ceiling isn't comeing any time soon,

23 clearances in 3 weeks! Can someone clarify whether this is right or not?

He gathered another 9 on the weekend taking his tally to 32 in a month of footy.
In that same period of time, he has also gathered 45 contested possessions.

Not sure why this has come about.
Possibly the inclusion of Stanley and Selwood carrying something which has seen him take a backward step over the month?

23 clearances in 3 weeks! Can someone clarify whether this is right or not? I'm pretty sure that it is but I'm only going off my memory which can sometimes be dangerous. :oops:

If so, I think that he's starting to find consistency with his inside game but he just didn't find any outside ball against the Swans which is something that he needs to keep working on with the coaches in order to make sure that he gets to the right spots at the right times to stay involved in the game.
Averaging 8 clearances this past month which I dare say is elite. His ave clearances (so far) has doubled from 2014, hope he keeps that up. with Blitz getting good at clearances not having to rely on Sel is very much needed.

His inside game has stepped right up which is great. It seems to be coming at the cost of his outside game though. Over time let's hope he can put together the full package. I thought he was pretty good yesterday.

Needs to improve his disposal to get to the next level. He isn't Robinson Crusoe there though - Bews is another who makes me wince when they get the ball.
I didn't see the game. But I always feel like Caddy wants the ball back.

So he seems to rush his kick (which lacks penetration) and then bursts forward to get it again.

He's tracking fine.
I think his inside work has really taken a step forward, he's able to get hands free out of a pack instead of being instantly tackled, his disposal from a clearance is usually pretty good and his clearance numbers so far this year are elite.
Polish his outside game will enable him to get more of the ball and really become a very good player.
Can't wait

He's tracking fine.
I think his inside work has really taken a step forward, he's able to get hands free out of a pack instead of being instantly tackled, his disposal from a clearance is usually pretty good and his clearance numbers so far this year are elite.
Polish his outside game will enable him to get more of the ball and really become a very good player.
Can't wait
He seems to be able to have impact whenever he goes forward too. Averaging just under a goal a game so far this season. Always handy to have mids who can rest forward and be dangerous (ala Martin, Danger etc.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back