Josh Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to improve his disposal to get to the next level. He isn't Robinson Crusoe there though - Bews is another who makes me wince when they get the ball.

He reminds me a little of Johnson in one key respect - he plays his best footy doing the basics. When Caddy takes the first option he looks a very good footballer. When he tries to be a little too clever he gets into trouble. The encouraging thing is the we're starting to see more of his best than worst. Bad game last week but so did everyone.

He was about the only inexperienced player on the weekend who wasn't a bit overcome with the atmosphere and the pressure of us doing badly. Kept just winning contested ball and battling through even if it didn't always come off.

It's always good to remember that it's a player's 6th season when they generally can become match-winners. All the 2001 group had a massive spike in 2007. Duncan was recruited in 2009 and looked to be coming of age this year before injury. There are probably a bunch of others I could go through too but generally the 6th season is about the right point. For Caddy and Guthrie that's next year. Here's hoping it happens because we need it to.

He gathered another 9 on the weekend taking his tally to 32 in a month of footy.
In that same period of time, he has also gathered 45 contested possessions.

Not sure why this has come about.
Possibly the inclusion of Stanley and Selwood carrying something which has seen him take a backward step over the month?
The only obvious thing that I can think of is that he has been moved into the midfield more regularly than what he was at the start of the season when he was playing predominantly forward. He is of much more value to us as a mid who rests forward rather than a forward who has the occasional stint in the midfield.

The only obvious thing that I can think of is that he has been moved into the midfield more regularly than what he was at the start of the season when he was playing predominantly forward. He is of much more value to us as a mid who rests forward rather than a forward who has the occasional stint in the midfield.

With Duncan out it makes sense that he's playing more midfield time too.

With Duncan out it makes sense that he's playing more midfield time too.
Agreed, but I think they made the move to give Caddy more midfield minutes before Duncan got injured aswell. If you look at the Collingwood game as the game we've performed best in so far this year, we only really rotated 4 mids through the centre square. They were Selwood, Blitz, Caddy and Duncan and they all functioned really well together.

These 4 guys will provide the nucleus of our midfield going forward I believe.

Have never been convinced on the evidence he will be a gun player but could be a very good player if he develops further.

But we need another 2-3 very good players in the middle right now.

Sorry to intrude and bump an old thread, just wasn't sure where to post this. Am interested in Caddy for a Supercoach draft/dynasty league so had a few questions about him. Firstly in the short term would he be a chance for forward eligibility next year, or is he still playing predominantly midfield minutes? Also from a SC perspective, he had a better 2015 than so far this year. Is this due to less midfield minutes? Do you guys see that trend reversing and how much upside do you reckon he's got to improve on what he's currently producing? Cheers

Sorry to intrude and bump an old thread, just wasn't sure where to post this. Am interested in Caddy for a Supercoach draft/dynasty league so had a few questions about him. Firstly in the short term would he be a chance for forward eligibility next year, or is he still playing predominantly midfield minutes? Also from a SC perspective, he had a better 2015 than so far this year. Is this due to less midfield minutes? Do you guys see that trend reversing and how much upside do you reckon he's got to improve on what he's currently producing? Cheers
Jesus.
Tough question.

He might actually be at his ceiling. But as far as the team goes his importance is increasing.
He's been injured a bit. And they aren't risking him.

He will get more midfield minutes than forward in my opinion.
But all our stats show he rarely starts in the middle.

That's all I've got.

Midfield minutes decreased this year with Danger coming in and Smith also releasing Blicavs to play as a mid plus Duncan being fit.

Now that Scott Selwood and Menegola have broken into the midfield I suspect he will mostly play half forward going forward unless injuries hit.

I don't think he has that much upside from a fantasy perspective.

He's had injuries and when he's come into the side he's played mostly forward. He's been very good forward often being the sides most dangerous forward.
I actually think he still has a lot of upside he has a lot of attribute of both Danger and Selwood. Although clearly not as good at them as those two. If he's able to keep fit I think he'll have a big finals series.
I expect next year he will play more midfield mins rotating forward with Danger.

Jesus.
Tough question.

He might actually be at his ceiling. But as far as the team goes his importance is increasing.
He's been injured a bit. And they aren't risking him.

He will get more midfield minutes than forward in my opinion.
Midfield minutes decreased this year with Danger coming in and Smith also releasing Blicavs to play as a mid plus Duncan being fit.

Now that Scott Selwood and Menegola have broken into the midfield I suspect he will mostly play half forward going forward unless injuries hit.

I don't think he has that much upside from a fantasy perspective.
He's had injuries and when he's come into the side he's played mostly forward. He's been very good forward often being the sides most dangerous forward.
I actually think he still has a lot of upside he has a lot of attribute of both Danger and Selwood. Although clearly not as good at them as those two. If he's able to keep fit I think he'll have a big finals series.
I expect next year he will play more midfield mins rotating forward with Danger.

But all our stats show he rarely starts in the middle.

That's all I've got.
Cheers all. A few conflicting views but thanks for the insight. From looking at his umbers seems he was great second half of last year and was really improving with the extra midfield time. Here's hoping he gets forward eligibility and then moves back to the middle!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers all. A few conflicting views but thanks for the insight. From looking at his umbers seems he was great second half of last year and was really improving with the extra midfield time. Here's hoping he gets forward eligibility and then moves back to the middle!
Yeah, but this year we've added more grunt midfielders into the mix. He is a bit of a weapon floating forward so he gets that time a bit. His injury this year hasn't helped his run at it.

12 disposals and preety poor last night
11 disposals in the Qf and not a great job running with Burgoyne.(2 goals though)
6 years in the AFL system now, I really doubt he's going to make it as a mid.
We should either trade or play him full time forward.
Desperately need to bring another decent mid to the club.

11 disposals in the Qf and not a great job running with Burgoyne.(2 goals though)
I said this a few years ago that he is not a mid. Doesn't have that mentality. He can play, though. Should we really be turfing out players when we spend so much time playing them in the wrong spot? Seems a great waste of player resources.

I could see the merit of playing him in that Chappy type medium fwd role who can pinch hit in the middle..
But last night he spent a fair bit of time fwd and did bugger all so now I'm not so sure

Maybe he just isn't as good as we thought or hoped he was

He's one of many very overrated players we have.

i agree that he should be traded, bit of a nothing player

slow, makes bad decisions, his overhead marking is good at times

seems to just be a b grade player

i'd be happy with a pick in the 30's

Lacks genuine pace ( as do alot of Geelong players ) thats his problem

I said a couple of years ago in another Josh Caddy thread - that he is playing the wrong game - should be playing League - with that bullocking strength he would be an ideal 2nd rower

I wouldnt call him a list clogger but id defininetly call him a premiership ( or top finals side ) clogger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back