Player Watch Josh Carmichael

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely he starts next week. My son says he's another Dane Swan. Scruffy, unfashionable, strange waddling gait, cocky devil may care attitude, plays like an old fashioned footballer- pumps it in long, hacks it forward without finesse and bucketloads of self belief.

Surely he starts next week. My son says he's another Dane Swan. Scruffy, unfashionable, strange waddling gait, cocky devil may care attitude, plays like an old fashioned footballer- pumps it in long, hacks it forward without finesse and bucketloads of self belief.

It's almost like he's Sier but someone slipped him some trying tablets.

And he’s a lefty who kicks right like Swanny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone knows I love this man. While watching the replay I noticed that he MUST improve when he gets the ball in the contest and he snaps on either side of his body since the ball only travels like 10 meters.

Once stronger that ball will be travelling 30-40 meters hopefully.

I think he will good for us but he needs a pre season and some time in the weights room that is what holding him back but I think he will work hard and become what we need from.

You only need look at his body to see there is plenty to like and work with.

Everyone knows I love this man. While watching the replay I noticed that he MUST improve when he gets the ball in the contest and he snaps on either side of his body since the ball only travels like 10 meters.

Once stronger that ball will be travelling 30-40 meters hopefully.

I don't think strength is his problem, it's more the result of a player new to the pressure of AFL and when he finds himself winning the ball in tight he's just lacking composure at present and banging it on the boot as a first option. At times last night he looked very much like a country footballer who somehow found himself out on the MCG.

That's not a knock by the way, the potential he's shown already has more than justified his drafting and when he can find himself with the ball in space he hasn't looked out of his depth at all. Then of course let's not forget those two final quarter clutch goals against Essendon.

In reality a preseason in an elite environment is what he needs. Until then just enjoy the incredible ride he's on.

Yep love his endeavour but needs to learn to handball rather than try those 2m scrubber kicks forward when you have wide open options on the outside.

Has had a good run of games but might be time to give Fin Macrae the opportunity to play that inside/Adams role.

Yep love his endeavour but needs to learn to handball rather than try those 2m scrubber kicks forward when you have wide open options on the outside.

Has had a good run of games but might be time to give Fin Macrae the opportunity to play that inside/Adams role.
I have been thinking we actually need MaCrae as well as Carmichael and DeGoey at the coalface we need more grunt not less.

One of the funnest bits of what is going on at the moment is how many ‘battler back-stories’ we have going on. Checkers, Noble, AJ, Cox, Ginni, McReery, even Crisp all have this rough diamond vibe and now Carmichael is the new poster boy.
If he kicked that running goal last night it would have blown the roof off!
I 100% agree with the comments that he still shows country footballer traits at times and will develop better hands and decision making under pressure, but it’s so awesome seeing this guy living his dream.

I agree whole heartedly. Im surprised, no amazed, by the talk that Carmichael might be the answer to our inside problems. I think the bloke is nothing short of poor on the inside. Sure, he gets in, has a crack and has a big body, but an inside mid has to have good decision making under pressure. He has to have vision, he has to hit that outside mid running past the pack on the chest with a beautifully timed handpass.. Yeah sometimes you have to do a scrubber kick, but its a last resort not your one wood. Most of his scrubber kicks out of the pack resulted in turnovers on Friday night. To be frank, I cant recall a player who was such a reluctant handpasser, I can almost see the cogs in his brain turning around, it's just completely un-natural to him. In short, I just dont think he has the skill set to be an inside mid. It's not as if the basics are there and just need refinement, he appears completely hopeless at the primary requirement.

On the other hand give him time and space and his kicking skills and decision making are very good. That kick to checkers in his first game. In this one a delightful switch across the ground. No question he is also a good finisher. Wing or HFF is where his future lies. I shall be amazed if he becomes an inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back