Delisted Josh Clayton (2014-2017)

Height: 190 cm
Weight: 80 kg
Position: Tall midfielder

Nominated by the Brisbane Lions as a father/son recruit.
Son of Scott Clayton (160 games for Fitzroy).

Selected with our last pick in the 2014 draft after no bids from competing clubs.

Bound for Glory profile.

Age article by Emma Quayle.

Last edited:

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
I love how that profile lists kicking efficiency as a strength and disposal efficiency as a weakness.
Not very good at handballing?

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I love how that profile lists kicking efficiency as a strength and disposal efficiency as a weakness.
Not very good at handballing?

I'd pay slightly more attention to what Emma Quayle writes than Paige Cardona from Bound for Glory ;)

It's like comparing the Beams trade on the Collingwood BigFooty Board vs Derek Hine and Schwab etc. working it out :thumbsu:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Old Fitzroy seeds re-sewn

But it was inevitable that time would ensure that no former Fitzroy players – or Bears for that matter – remained at the Club. The Club would eventually be made up only of ‘Brisbane Lions’ players. But just when some fans feared that Fitzroy’s bloodlines would run dry in Brown’s absence, along came Josh Clayton…

Clayton, the son of former Fitzroy best and fairest Scott Clayton, was selected by the Club at Monday’s Father-Son bidding meeting and will form part of the team’s senior list in 2015. The 18-year-old becomes just the second Father-Son player (after Brown) selected by the Lions from the ‘old’ Fitzroy. Better yet, the Sandringham Dragons utility is a passionate Lions supporter – virtue of the fact his father not only played with Fitzroy, but was also a successful Recruiting Manager for the Bears/Lions.

“I’ve gone for the Lions my whole life, so to be selected is a great privilege,” Clayton said. “As a Lions supporter as a kid, it’s great to be at the Club you hold so dear. It’s pretty surreal, but I’m looking forward to it.” Clayton’s comments – particularly the part about “the Club he holds so dear” – will resonate with the old Fitzroy faithful. And they needn’t pin ALL their hopes on the promising teenager either, with the likes of Matt Rendell, Leon Harris, and Alastair Lynch, all boasting talented sons who may well follow in their father’s footsteps as well in the future.

Clayton_Dragons-article.jpg

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Meet the latest Lions

The Brisbane Lions welcomed three new players on Monday via the Father-Son and Academy pre-Draft bidding meeting – Liam Dawson, Harris Andrews, and Josh Clayton.

Nickname: Clayts

DOB:
17/1/96

Height:
190cm

Weight:
80kg

Recruited from:
Sandringham Dragons U18 (VIC)

Position:
Medium Midfielder

AFL summary: Very athletic and versatile player that reads the game very well and makes smart decisions when in possession. His aerial skills coupled with his lateral movement often sees him step through traffic with ease. Currently averaging 21.9 disposals for the Sandringham Dragons at TAC Cup Level. Son of former Fitzroy Lion Scott Clayton.

Josh says: “I’ve gone for the Lions my whole life, so to be selected is a great privilege. It’s great to be at the Club you hold so dear. It’s pretty surreal, but I’m looking forward to it.”
AFL club previously followed and favourite player: Brisbane Lions – Daniel Rich.

Current AFL player comparison:
“Nathan Fyfe (Fremantle). He’s a similar height and weight, is a good mark, and has good speed, endurance, and agility.”

Clayton_Headshot-hero.jpg

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Lions sign son of ace recruiter

NEW Brisbane recruit Josh Clayton has been getting constructive criticism over his Cornflakes for as long as he can remember. But the 18-year-old son of recruiting guru Scott Clayton would not have had it any other way. The athletic, 190cm-tall midfielder joined Brisbane as a father-son selection yesterday courtesy of the 160 games that Clayton played for Fitzroy in the 1980s before going on be one of the most astute talent scouts in the AFL.

Clayton set the foundation of Brisbane’s premiership sides in the 1990s, turned the Doggies into flag contenders and built the Suns from the ground up as the club’s lists manager. Josh said it was “pretty funny’’ that the Clayton clan would be divided at the next QClash but is grateful for the guiding hand provide by his father.

Clayton trained with the Lions Academy squad last December and visited the Gabba again in January when he met childhood hero Simon Black. “I was born in Brisbane and even though we moved back to Melbourne a few years later, I have always been a Lions supporter,’’ he said. “Simon Black was one of my all-time favourite players. Just to have a five-minute chat with him was great. If I can be half the player he was, I’d be happy.’’
771938-0ff745ba-4d39-11e4-b6e4-edc180f5fd07.jpg

“I’ve gone for the Lions my whole life, so to be selected is a great privilege,” Clayton said. “As a Lions supporter as a kid, it’s great to be at the Club you hold so dear. It’s pretty surreal, but I’m looking forward to it.” Clayton’s comments – particularly the part about “the Club he holds so dear” – will resonate with the old Fitzroy faithful.

For those that may have missed the suggested word association…

We are the boys from old Fitzroy
We wear the colours maroon and blue,
We will always fight for victory,
We will always see it through,
Win or lose we do or die,
In defeat we'll always try,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy,
The Club we hold so dear,
Premiers we'll be this year.

Welcome to the Lions. Great to keep that Fitzroy connection going...

Hear, Hear!

One from way over on the other side of the ground...
731PJhR.png

Last edited:
Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/05/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Went back and played forward for us this week rather than playing on a wing. We just needed some listed players topping up our forward line due to the amount of injuries we’ve got at the moment. He played as a high forward and a bit wing late in the game. Still continuing to find his feet playing different roles as a forward, working on his contested game, GPS data showed he is going really well, we’ve been really impressed with what he’s been producing in that.

Reserves Wrap - NT Thunder - 04/07/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

A quieter day in terms of possession wise and didn’t hit the scoreboard as a forward this week. Probably played him more as a high forward, up and around stoppage this week. He’s still coming to terms with his role and what’s required. Certainly a big improvement in his game was his contest work which he’s been working on, so didn’t see any glaring errors there. It’s just more about playing his role and knowing his role through the week to help him implement it on game day.

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 25/07/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Joshy played as a medium defender again. He played on some good players in GWS’ forward line. He’s still got to work aerially on his contest stuff. This is one part of his game he’s really got to work hard on, around his contest and defensive side of the game. It’s good to see him win more ball. He’s in the game now more as a defender and not getting starved as a half forward. He’s adding another string to his bow which has been good for his development.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney - 01/08/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Again played half back. It was his best game of the season to date and gave his the job on Rose one of the Swans’ really good forwards and got the chocolates for the day. Much improved in the contest, he laid a couple of tackles on the day which was his goal. Still got to tidy up his ball use particularly at half back so we’ll work on that throughout the week with his kicking but good to see him improving week to week now that he’d gone back in defence.

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast - 08/08/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Again played down back, he had 22, probably not a really good game from Josh. Some decisions with the ball cost his game a little bit and his ability to fend his opponent. He probably took his foot off the pedal a little bit compared to his Sydney game, so we’re expecting Josh to bounce back. He did lay five tackles for the weekend, that’s his best haul for the year. So hopefully that’s part of his mindset going forward.

Back