Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently this Josh kid is playing on Thursday.........I might have to go along and find out why a pick 57 has 13 pages on Bigfooty about him.

That and so I can scream......................Daiiiiiiicooooooooooooos! :D

Josh Daicos to play first game for Collingwood in preseason opener against Essendon

a1fdaceb65d2d9ce0549546dd5f4d232

CHRIS CAVANAGH, Herald Sun
an hour ago

THE wait it over for Collingwood fans with the Daicos name set to be back in black and white for the first time in 8622 days on Thursday night.

Almost 24 years after his father Peter last pulled on the boots at Victoria Park, exciting young forward Josh Daicos will be rolled out in front of fans in the Magpies’ first preseason match against Essendon at Etihad Stadium.

The 18-year-old, who was taken at pick No.57 in last year’s draft, forms part of an inexperienced Collingwood side being given their chance to shine.

Captain Scott Pendlebury, who is being rested for the match, talked down Daicos’ trick bag but conceded fans had been hanging out to see the son-of-a-gun in action.

“He hasn’t showed too many (tricks) yet so he’s keeping them up his sleeve,” Pendlebury said.

4f870c39e5363c2157b7e2e54814c810

Josh Daicos with coach Nathan Buckley at training on Tuesday. Picture: Michael Klein
“I hadn’t really seen too much of him as a junior. I saw a little bit when he played for Vic Metro and I’m also not old enough to have remembered his dad too well.

“A lot of people who have seen both say there are some similarities there and I’m sure all the Magpie fans are going to love seeing him out there Thursday night.”

The heartwarming stories continue for Collingwood fans with Jamie Elliott, Matthew Scharenberg and Jackson Ramsay all returning from long-term injuries.

Scharenberg and Ramsay both had knee reconstructions last year while Elliott last played against the Bombers in Round 23, 2015 before having back surgery last June.

“It’s going to be great for all football followers to see him back out there because he’s such an exciting talent,” Pendlebury said of Elliott.

“I think everyone had concerns that he wasn’t going to get back and he was pretty nervous at the time. Any time you have to go have back surgery, it’s pretty scary. But it’s been great.

371c479bdf5b4063cb75b67689ca1579

Josh Daicos has impressed since officially becoming a Magpie at November’s national draft. Picture: Michael Klein
“You can just see the love of football he’s got. He appreciates it that much more now he’s had 12 months out so (I’m) looking forward to him coming back.”

Pendlebury said himself, Ben Reid, Brodie Grundy, Adam Treloar and Taylor Adams all expected to play in the club’s second preseason match against Fremantle on March 4, along with recruit Daniel Wells.

“We’ll all be playing in Perth in a couple of weeks’ time,” he said.

WORTH THE WAIT

Years between fathers’ last game and son’s first game

Peter and Josh Daicos: 24 years (1993-2017)

Stephen and Jack Silvagni: 15 years (2001-2016)

Todd and Jack Viney: 14 years (1999-2013)

Tim and Jobe Watson: 9 years (1994-2003)

Tony and Tom Liberatore: 9 years (2002-2011)

Gary Ablett and Gary Ablett Jr: 6 years (1996-2002)

Apparently this Josh kid is playing on Thursday.........I might have to go along and find out why a pick 57 has 13 pages on Bigfooty about him.

You're jumping out of your skin CFC! Do you really think Dakes will make his senior debut in 2017? Would be highly unusual for such a low draft pick. Can happen with guys picked in the 30s, but surely its rare for someone taken in the high 50s.

You're jumping out of your skin CFC! Do you really think Dakes will make his senior debut in 2017? Would be highly unusual for such a low draft pick. Can happen with guys picked in the 30s, but surely its rare for someone taken in the high 50s.
Anything is possible. If rookies can debut, there's no reason a late ND pick cant.

I think people might be over hyping him
While there is a little bit of hype there I don't think he's going to be anywhere near round 1 selection. People are just getting excited about another Daicos taking the field. By the little footage I have seen I think he was definitely holding back last year so his potential is quite high. Depending on injuries and form he might be in for a shot for selection second half of the year.

Maybe a slight chance of playing round 1 as a player on the bench.

Jesus I hope not. If this kid is in the Round 1 team something has gone awfully wrong over the next month. No criticism of Daicos he is just a kid.

There should be quite a few players in front of Daicos. If he gets a run they have failed badly In their preparation.

Pick taken is irrelevant, once they are at the club it is all about performance and attitude shown from draft date.

He performed well in the intra, so is getting a chance to show something in the NAB cup.

Baby steps Vicky Park.........baby steps..........but when that baby can kick snap goals like some former Collingwood bloke called Daicos then it gets me excited.

The only sport I follow is Aussie Rules Football...........stranger things have happened.

I would love to see him roving the packs of Moore........if it in 2017 all the better.

Langdon, Wills, Frost, Crocker, Phillips, Yagmoor, Smith... It's not like we don't have history of late picks debuting 1st year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldsack, Cloke, Varcoe, De Goey, White and Blair were the starting forwardline in our last game against Hawthorn, with Crocker on the bench. Add Moore, Mayne and Elliot to the equation and its hard to see him playing any time soon. Realistically, he's not competing with White, Goldsack or Moore but its still hard to see him playing any time soon unless we get injuries

Just spoke to someone that went to the Intra Club game last week.

He was having a chat with Balmy..........they spoke about Browny JNR and Balme said he is a ripper.

He also said that Daicos was better :screamcat:.............the only thing that would stop them making it was application not ability.

Daicccooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooossssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!! :footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy:

Josh Daicos to play first game for Collingwood in preseason opener against Essendon

CHRIS CAVANAGH, Herald Sun
an hour ago

THE wait it over for Collingwood fans with the Daicos name set to be back in black and white for the first time in 8622 days on Thursday night.

Almost 24 years after his father Peter last pulled on the boots at Victoria Park, exciting young forward Josh Daicos will be rolled out in front of fans in the Magpies’ first preseason match against Essendon at Etihad Stadium.

The 18-year-old, who was taken at pick No.57 in last year’s draft, forms part of an inexperienced Collingwood side being given their chance to shine.

Captain Scott Pendlebury, who is being rested for the match, talked down Daicos’ trick bag but conceded fans had been hanging out to see the son-of-a-gun in action.

“He hasn’t showed too many (tricks) yet so he’s keeping them up his sleeve,” Pendlebury said.

4f870c39e5363c2157b7e2e54814c810

Josh Daicos with coach Nathan Buckley at training on Tuesday. Picture: Michael Klein
“I hadn’t really seen too much of him as a junior. I saw a little bit when he played for Vic Metro and I’m also not old enough to have remembered his dad too well.

“A lot of people who have seen both say there are some similarities there and I’m sure all the Magpie fans are going to love seeing him out there Thursday night.”

The heartwarming stories continue for Collingwood fans with Jamie Elliott, Matthew Scharenberg and Jackson Ramsay all returning from long-term injuries.

Scharenberg and Ramsay both had knee reconstructions last year while Elliott last played against the Bombers in Round 23, 2015 before having back surgery last June.

“It’s going to be great for all football followers to see him back out there because he’s such an exciting talent,” Pendlebury said of Elliott.

“I think everyone had concerns that he wasn’t going to get back and he was pretty nervous at the time. Any time you have to go have back surgery, it’s pretty scary. But it’s been great.

371c479bdf5b4063cb75b67689ca1579

Josh Daicos has impressed since officially becoming a Magpie at November’s national draft. Picture: Michael Klein
“You can just see the love of football he’s got. He appreciates it that much more now he’s had 12 months out so (I’m) looking forward to him coming back.”

Pendlebury said himself, Ben Reid, Brodie Grundy, Adam Treloar and Taylor Adams all expected to play in the club’s second preseason match against Fremantle on March 4, along with recruit Daniel Wells.

“We’ll all be playing in Perth in a couple of weeks’ time,” he said.

WORTH THE WAIT

Years between fathers’ last game and son’s first game

Peter and Josh Daicos: 24 years (1993-2017)

Stephen and Jack Silvagni: 15 years (2001-2016)

Todd and Jack Viney: 14 years (1999-2013)

Tim and Jobe Watson: 9 years (1994-2003)

Tony and Tom Liberatore: 9 years (2002-2011)

Gary Ablett and Gary Ablett Jr: 6 years (1996-2002)

Geez, Geelong fans didn't have to wait long.

Just spoke to someone that went to the Intra Club game last week.

He was having a chat with Balmy..........they spoke about Browny JNR and Balme said he is a ripper.

He also said that Daicos was better :screamcat:.............the only thing that would stop them making it was application not ability.

Daicccooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooossssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!! :footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy:

What was balmy doing there? bit of spy work for the Tiggas?

Was quicker than I expected. I got the impression he was one paced from his highlights but he has a nice turn of speed.

Did some really nice things tonight. That clearance he got really made me sit up and take notice, and he has a nice turn of speed. It's literally night and day between how he was during the national champs to now. The rumours about us playing funny buggers with him might actually have some credence....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back